Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I loved tonight’s episode. I’m not sure where they’re going with the overall theme this season but I am loving the individual stories here. Jonathan Frakes did a great job as director on this one. I love the effects they used with electrical light coming out of the church. I wonder if that was CG, or if they found a way to do that with lighting within the building somehow?

That was a great old school trek episode. Unlike some, I really like Discovery’s first season. Good to see that they can do something different, but also still do the old style, when they want to.

In Stargate universe every 3rd planet is colonised by Amish villagers. Its a good trope.

Yes, which is the problem. Discovery season 1 was great, but at this point I have no interest in whatever they’re doing with season 2.

So Star Trek being very Trek is a problem? Perhaps you need to up your meds.

If they’d started the series off by having it be like Trek, I would have been happy to ignore it. But they didn’t. Instead they made one of the top three individual seasons of TV scifi, in any series. And then they seem to have followed that up with stale garbage, just to make it feel more like Star Trek. So yes, it’s a problem.

WTF?

Not been a cosmic entity like foe in ST for a while. Q or oil slick guy come to mind, mebbe the wormhole aliens, oh and that Godthing behind the wall at the centre of the galaxy. I’m interested to see where the Red Angel story takes this

The red angel seems like a good actor to me. If it lead them to this planet just in time to save it. That’s what they assumed in this episode, and I can’t fault their assumption.

Seems to me like they’re doing a good job of blending serialized (which was the strong point of S1) and episodic content that is more Trek.

To each their own, of course. What show are you going to be watching instead of Discovery, since you no longer have interest in it?

Personally, the weakest part of the show for me, at the moment, is that I’m not overly attached to any of the characters. I’m liking Pike so far, but obviously little exposure, yet. Burnham is too anime moody for me and Tilly is too crazy. Saru is probably the most likeable for me, but the character is clearly a support type personality. Hopefully mirror universe Georgiou will spice things up when she gets back on.

On an entirely separate note, why does the navigation officer have such glaringly obvious prosthetic? I get she was injured in the battle of the binary stars, but why would they give her an incredibly off-putting artificial eye? I can buy the metal piece on her temple as a LaForge like cybernetic bit, but heck, we have better contacts today for the eye itself. Just seems like a very lame “hi tech” visual effect that isn’t what I would expect from the Federation.

Just joshing you for calling out a Trek show for being Trek. So really you are unhappy because you don’t like this series, called Star Trek, being anything like the Star Trek shows before it. I hope you’re seeing how odd that is.

I can understand that sentiment. The first season really was something truly different from all the other Trek series. But the second season really is a mixture between that and a tradition Trek so far.

Personally, I do enjoy the fact that they’re transitioning during the course of the series.

My CBS All Access is done for now. I’ll check out the rest of Season 2 once it’s finished.

If every Trek series is like the one before it, Trek will become the same regurgitated mindless, extruded corporate product that Star Wars has become, providing the same entertainment value as staring at paint on a wall. The first season of Discovery came at the genre from a different angle and gave hope that Trek wouldn’t fall into the same spiral of pointlessness that Star Wars has.

You could say Voyager and Enterprise sort of became that. It was too similar to TNG, trying to be like TNG.

Yeah, but come on. Even though what you’re saying is true, they’re somewhat restricted by the timeline. Season 1 took place 10 years before the start of Season 1 TOS. Now Season 2 is about 9 years before the start of TOS Season 1. The longer it goes on, the more you have to bring your series in alignment with TOS.

That’s valid, but the poor choice of timeline doesn’t mean they suddenly have to trot out the same tired characters we’ve seen for the past 50 years in order to shoehorn Discovery into corporate compliance. They’ve abandoned creativity and novelty in favor of rote.

So they’re damned either way. Last season half(***) of the viewers screamed about the darker storyline and how “this isn’t my Trek!” and this season the other half(***) screams because it’s too Trek.

(***) not a scientific poll (^)

(^) fucking discourse

If it were easy, anyone could do it.

As Seth Macfarlane is showing us.

It just goes to show you can’t make everyone happy.

Huh, looks like CBS put the first episode of the new season on YouTube.

Hmmm, this actually makes me maybe want to give this another chance. I liked the fact that the first season was serialised, but not the execution. You can’t get away with goofy plot devices and unmotivated character action in a serialised show, but it’s much easier to get away with it in an episodic show. So for me it needs to either become a better written serialised show or an episodic show.