Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I feel like they are too cute with Georgio. It is basically as if a time traveling Hitler was just a character on the show with snappy one-liners about former genocides.

I hear ya. They are trying to make her endearing and relatable but still evil and manipulative. Of course that’s often the profile of a serial killer, so maybe that’s what they are going for.

I feel that’s a bit too obvious. aka if they do that I’ll hate it.

The tie in to the original pilot “The Cage” was by the writers was very well done IMO. Finally getting the main story really going was much appreciated. Will have to hold final judgement till the Red Angel story plays out but felt this was the best episode of the season.

Wow, in this last one I really thought that the Discovery had lost its second Chief of Security. And they finally gave us a bit of backstory on Ariam… just before they killed her off. I’d noticed that the actress playing “Robot Lady” had changed this season–wonder if she was the actress we saw in the memory.

Yeah it’s the same actress – you can tell by the jaw line. (And also just by googling ‘Hannah Cheesman’ ;) )

I thought this episode was excellent, but I have some major nerd-gripes about the last 10 minutes.

1. WHY DIDN’T THEY USE THEIR PHASERS TO SHOOT THE MINES? They never use their bloody phasers in this show.
2. Why didn’t Nhan (the security chief), just pop up her helmet and fill it with whatever gas she breaths? And how did she survive anyway? Just by holding her other breathing tube a bit closer???
3. I hate that the helmets are all foldy in the first place.
4. Why did no-one seem to care in the slightest that Nhan was down. I mean, sure, she’s a red-shirt, but did not a single person on the bridge think to ask Burnham to check on her the instance that door was locked?
5. Why didn’t they beam Nhan or Airiam off and into sickbay/the bridge? I guess that CONTROL has put the shields up after Airiam started battering everyone – but that wasn’t stated on-screen (even though there was plenty of time!), or maybe because it’s a Prison with Section 31 Tech? They started, when they beamed over, that they had beam-locks on and were ready to transport them back the instant there was danger.
6. Assuming they couldn’t be beamed off when inside, due to Section 31 Prison Tech… why couldn’t they beam her off after she hit space? Maybe still inside the field?
7. Why did no one try to solve the problem of not killing Airiam and instead instantly went for “blast her out the airlock”?? Even Pike went straight to that conclusion, rather than exploring anything else or at least TRYING. He’s given plenty of speeches in the past about never leaving anyone behind, but now he doesn’t care? It seems massively out of character for everyone to do this.

Anyway, gripes aside, it was very thrilling.

ps: I think the next episode should be nothing but Pike reprimanding Tilly and Burnham for being massive derps all the time. Note: These aren’t spoilers because they’re constant throughout the entire series ;)

What I really want to know is why there are so many commanders on this ship? Saru, Brunham, Spoke, Ariam, and probably everyone else on the bridge, maybe the janitor.

Ariam = Lt. Commander, but like every other Lt. Commander they’re called “commander”.

Burnham is also head of Science division, and I think it’s usual to have a Commander for head of divisions in the trek universe? Though maybe I’m thinking of the much larger ships, like the Galaxy D.

Voyager had the same problems in it’s first season, as everyone was ranked way too high, and then overnight they all dropped in rank and no one batted an eye-lid.

Gonna sound like turning into a Trekkie nerd fight but disagree about too many “commanders”. Several characters on the shows were/are ensigns. Also ST shows are typical about the upper staff so most are going to be officers.

Aside from gripe 7, I had the same thoughts watching three show. The transporter was particularly irksome ad they made a big deal about being ready to been them out of trouble.

I don’t have an issue with the bridge being mostly officers. Ensigns are officers, for example. I find it silly that they’re all one step away from being captain.

Your #2 bothered me, for sure.

#1 If they could simply shoot the mines they are pretty much worthless. I assumed they were shielded and moved on.
As far as the beaming issue, yeah its a prison facility. I figured beaming was not an option.
On the issue of not killing Airiam, I wrote that off to time constraints. They didn’t have the time to parse other solutions. The captains job is to make hard snap decisions and he did. He was on a very short clock and made a decision I am sure he didn’t want to make. Burnham questioned that choice, I don’t see why anyone else would unless they had a good option to put forth. After all, the existence of all sentient life in the galaxy was potentially at stake. Same thing applies to why no one worried about Nahn. Time constraints meant they had much more important issues to deal with first.

There are multiple ranks using lieutenant and commander kinda like Sargents in the Army. Think it kinda goes Lieutenant, LT Commander, Commander, Captain.

Another fun episode. Yea there’s nitpicks about what the ship could and couldn’t do like transporters, I’d guess the line about all the propulsion(impulse and warp) being down could be extended to other systems.

I didn’t get this one either. That whole scene I was ranting about how you don’t want to sign up to be a chief of security on Discovery. The one thing i didn’t quite understand - was it her or Burnham that actually flushed Airiam out the door lock? Either way that just seemed really contrived. You can’t pivot from a steadfast ‘you must save everyone’ to ‘eh, flush her out the doorlock’ at the drop of a hat.

She did it. At first I thought the computer has done it, but then it cut to Nhan with her hand on the button

While I liked the general mystery premise of the episode, but two things really annoyed me.

The quick mention of “It’s because of you” and the project that was quickly namedropped feels like stupid plot tease of Lindelof proportions. Also, I’m really tired of Burnham being at the center of everything. It now seems more and more likely that she is the Red Angel. Which would be bloody lame.

Secondly, I’ve previously said that the show needs to give more screen/plot time to members of the bridge crew other than Tilly and Saru. The writers failed to do that so far. And hus I honestly couldn’t give a damn about Ariam’s death because that character was pretty much nothing but background decoration to this point. I wouldn’t have been able to give you her name prior this episode, and the whole bit about the memories and her conversations with Tilly felt like a quick and cheap way to quickly create an emotional bond between her and Tilly that’s not been earned through previous episodes. Nothing in the show so far had established that there’s a deeper friendship between the characters.

and so much is revealed.

The angel is Burnham’s mum, cosplaying as Mercy from Overwatch in what is an insanely high tech and powerful suit. High technology as to be near magic. Kinda disappointed its not a new cosmic level entity, but im sure the story will be interesting.

Watching the scene when the angel shows up, I got my Marvel (and Clarke) in my Star Trek—it was like seeing Thor coming down the Bifrost from the perspective of the natives.

Dully, it will end up being Burnham in that suite. I imagine her mum was the angel when saving her, and Burnham was the angel when saving everyone else.

I wasn’t so keen on this episode, but can’t really put my finger on why. I guess because everyone’s actions were even dumber than usual.

The biggest piece of dumb is thinking that IF the Red Angel is Burnham than they can trap it… even though Burnham would be aware of this in the future? And also why kill her in that horrific way, rather than just shooting her or something?

Personally, I think almost any time travel based plot can have holes poked into to it. I’m generally not a fan of them, but they’re a Trek staple.