Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Well that was a hella lot of goodbyes. Looks like they have set up a way to explain how Burnham and maybe Discovery+spore drive aren’t around by TOS time but I doubt they actually remove the main character after 2 seasons. Sure something will happen to have her come back from the future.

Well considering Spock goes with her, I think it’s pretty obvious that somehow, at least some of them make it back. Star Trek has always been pretty loose with the time travel stuff. Hell, it’s in canon that they can get back by simply slingshotting around a sun. The question is not will they get back, its how will they.

That’s the thing that just kills Discovery for me. Almost nothing matters or could possibly matter since it’d be very difficult to retcon it with what we “know” exists from TOS.

It’s all just so stupid. They could have created a series that did its own thing. Instead they’ve boxed themselves into corners. Sad because parts of the show really show promise.

Diego

She was in the Short Treks. If you have Discovery on Netflix you can find them in the trailers section.

At first I thought they were just mini stories set in the world of Trek, but it’s not becoming clear that they’re all very important to Season 2. (Which is a shame, as why hide this stuff in Short Treks?)

Yes, it’s the best Trek, but it takes a couple of seasons to hit it’s stride

Yes, it’s on Netflix (UK).

Well in this case they could have had Spock star on the Enterprise, and then we wouldn’t “know” if she made it back or not… but by taking along the Famous Spock they’ve kind of spoiled that plot point a bit.

That’s not totally accurate. Yea He’s on Discovery but she still has to go in the suit through the wormhole. They also show Spock in a Shuttle next episode so he gets off at some point. Still I don’t think they remove Burnham in the end. Maybe they try a season cliffhanger of her not getting back…yet.

Hell, they could run an entire season of them in the future, trying to get back to their proper time. That wouldn’t mess with canon as they could find a way to get Spock back into the proper timeline at any point in that timeline. They could even run with the Discovery and its crew staying in the future, never to come back and its disappearance be the reason it has been excised from starfleet history. They really only have to find a way to return Spock, and they have the suit to do that.

I wouldn’t mind if they got rid of Burnham… I can’t take the puppy eye whiney looks she has. Especially in this episode it was almost unbearable as it all felt so constructed overdramatic. I hope there is a payoff otherwise this was an episode full of filler without a purpose.

They could throw it to TNG era ;-)

I think people have higher expectations about TV in general. TV has to compete with on-demand reruns now as well as other new shows. There are a lot of wasted minutes in serials where events need to be tied into previous episodes. Episodic shows can skip all that stuff and go straight to the current episode’s “concept”. Also, people expecting Emmy-worthy Trek or Oscar-worthy Star Wars are not thinking realistically, considering hundreds of people with varying ability have worked on these franchises. Not everyone bats 1000. If you pay more money now but get the same quality product, that’s just inflation.

I’m catching up to you guys. I watched about 4 episodes this weekend. “Project Daedalus”, directed by Jonathan Frakes, was so good, I’m still excited over it after thinking about it all night. It’s such an exciting show in general, and such a high quality production, so when they manage to bring that together with some exciting storytelling, it’s just so thrilling.

@Pod makes some interesting points in his spoiler post about the episode, but overall I didn’t mind the minor plot holes. I just thought it was brilliant, the way the show filled in and showed memories of Ariam with the crew, sort of making her feel like a friend and part of the core crew so effectively.

Once again this show is pulling off a season I love.

Do you think this show is best watched back-to-back?

Everything happens at quite a pace in this shoe that I find it kind of disjointing to watch on a weekly basis.

Yeah, it’s definitely one of those shows that’s better when binge-watched. Both Season 1 and now Season 2 have stories that span the season, so it feels much better to get that story in rapid succession.

The terrible, sloppy plotting is killing season two for me. Pike is great and Spock is okay, but otherwise I much preferred the first season.

Same here. I also haven’t really met a Star Trek time-travel arc that I really like. One-offs like City on the Edge of Forever and Yesterday’s Enterprise work for me. Basically, when time travel is a narrative tool, rather than the center of the plot, I’m okay with it. But the second season of Discovery is getting dangerously close to Enterprise Temporal Cold War levels of bad for me.

I don’t think the time travel stuff has been that bad. I’m hoping it’s just for this season, and the next two episodes will put it to bed, ready for season 3s fresh start.

Hopefully you caught the Short Trek episodes before catching up!

I did! I caught those right after I finished up Season 1. Those were out by then.

I really love the Enterprise bridge set, as well as the TOS-inspired Enteprise uniforms (all except for the weird pokey collar). I was rooting for them to blow the Discovery to hell, and was sad when the torpedoes sploshed ineffectually against the shield.

I would have expected the Enterprise to be a pretty simple redress of the Voyager set, but it was darn sexy.

Oh, and I love Pike too. Can we have a spin-off please?

Apart from that, there was about 30 minutes of goodbyes in this episode. It felt like the final episode of a 10 season run. Hope they do something dramatic enough to earn it (and not just catching Pike on fire).

Yup. I’m glad they didn’t try to make it too true to the original set, while still preserving the flair of it and letting you see who the same aesthetics would be handled, today.

Crazy military service that apparently let’s their captains customize uniforms and bridges to a huge degree.

Section 31 just goes shopping at Hot Topic.

Ha! I went into one of those for the first time in a long time, a few months back. Seems like half the store is those Funko Pop dolls. Barnes and Nobles, too. Are they really that popular?

The set is not bad, but it reminds me of driving through the city at night in the rain. I.e. very sexy, but half the time you can’t tell WTH you’re looking at there are so many blinky lights and so much glare.