Star Trek - Next Generation: Worth it without nostalgia

Ugh…Sub Rosa. >shudder<

Seriously, how many TNG episodes were blatantly stolen from other media? This one and the Dorian Gray episode come to mind. It’s not even an original twist, just a bland retelling of the original story…in space!

Best of Both Worlds remastered!

In theaters on April 25

A lot of people don’t remember how climactic the cliffhanger was. Pre-internet, there was very little way for fans to get insider news or discuss things. And Patrick Stewart was trying to get his contract renegotiated, so the producers made the cliffhanger as an actual way to exit Picard, if it came down to that.

“Pre-Internet”? Really?? Pre-World Wide Web, yes, but the internet was around and plenty active waaaaaaaay back in 1990. There were people on news groups discussing TNG episodes ad nauseum.

And the part about contract negotiations is speculation. For one thing, it would have been a terrible was to get Picard off of the show, given that the cliffhanger ended with Picard and Riker facing each other. It would be pretty hard to start the second half of that cliffhanger with Picard gone.

[Shot swoops into the Enterprise bridge where an unusual shuffling, slapping sound is heard. The lights are coming up from a dangerous bloody red to a normal, placid white, and the faint sounds of an alarm are naught but fading echoes. Turning wildly, the camera avoids the captain’s chair as it lingers over the happy faces of each crew member in turn, with two curious omissions: the hairiest and least-haired members of the crew. Finally, it comes to rest on the captain’s chair, facing it dead on, to reveal Deanna Troi seated there with a satisfied smirk on her alien-but-not-too-alien features. She is wiping her hands back and forth in a celebratory, but casual, gesture, explaining the odd noise.]

[Riker, in obvious awe]: That was some amazing shooting back there! Who knew that a Borg cube had such an obvious weak spot that they were all so nervous about us discovering?!

[Troi’s smirk grows wider and even more confident. She pauses and arches an eyebrow.]

Troi: About us discovering–what, number one?

[Riker, nervously fumbling]: About us discovering, err, captain.

[Riker nervously looks up for her approval. Troi smiles and ruffles his hair.]

Troi: Much better, number one. Now, let’s go see if there are any orphans that need a mother-figure out there amongst the stars. Data, set a path, and–

[She pauses dramatically.]

[Opening credits roll.]

I’m not saying that it would be impossible to get rid of Picard after a season-ending cliffhanger; I’m saying that it would be impossible to do so in a way that satisfied the fans, whereas it would be trivial to write a character off between seasons without a cliffhanger.

In other words, if you want to threaten an actor that you might write him off the show, the absolute worst thing you can do is make a cliffhanger ending starring their most popular enemy with that actor as the central character who is pivotal to the plot.

Sorry if this was mentioned in the Star Trek: Discovery thread. I don’t go in there, since I haven’t seen the remaining episodes after the one that aired on CBS.

One of the 5 Star Trek shows could be a limited series where Patrick Stewart gets to reprise his role as Picard.

I really hope it’s true. A limited series sounds like a much better way to tie up the Next Generation crew’s timeline than the movies we got.

…but it’s Kurtzman, so it’ll be shit.

I’m not familiar. Which parts of Star Trek was he responsible for? Voyager? Enterprise?

Edit: Just looked him up, Star Trek reboot, Star Trek into Darkness, and now Star Trek: Discovery. That doesn’t seem that bad to me.

Patrick Stewart has a photo from the set

My heart knows no bounds for the love I have for Beefstew.

https://i.imgur.com/5QI2M.gif

There are some people who really, really hate those. I enjoyed the movies though so I am with you. Bring on Picard!

Eh, I’ll take Kurtzman over Berman and Braga any day, and twice on Sunday.

You used that same gif in this thread on Valentine’s Day 2013 in response to divedivedive’s post.

Deservedly so, in that case though. What is wrong with you divedivedive?

Next Generation is second rate Trek. I’d rather watch that episode of original Trek where the aliens that are half white and half black fight with the aliens that are half black and half white than just about any NG episodes. Except the one where the aliens hide inside people and they infiltrated the Federation? Because that was kind of awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/5QI2M.gif

Daredevil-Bullseye

So… why do you care about a series Picard might be in… again?

I like Patrick Stewart. And I like Trek, for the most part. Second rate Trek is still better than most other stuff.

Let’s get the Trek version of Logan, only it’s Patrick Stewart as the guardian of a crazy and dying Q who has outbursts of power. Also, Data as the weird pale dude. And Mirror Universe, time traveling NewKirk as the guy hunting down a young Q like being.

All right, you get Wolverine as number one and I’m in.