Star Trek Online - QtTHREEEEE IIIINNN SPAAAAAACE! (launch/roll call/gameplay thread)

I love STO, but I hate how it’s not a game I feel I can really pick up and play. Whenever I go back to it I feel like there’s a brand new learning curve to being able to play. It always feels like there is a skill tree reset, or a new fundamental feature that breaks everything I’ve done to-date.

It just doesn’t feel like a game that welcomes back players who have been away for a spell. That said, every two years or so I’ll roll a new character and take him to the level cap while enjoying the stories that have been added.

I guess I would have to agree that STO isn’t really a pick up and play game, there’s definitely a learning curve. But I haven’t noticed anything getting broken between sessions for me. Then again, I just set the game aside back in December so maybe not as much was added. There’s definitely some MMO jank that I just have to kind of force myself to ignore in favor of all the other Trek-y goodness, but that hasn’t been too bad for me. I gotta say, for a free game I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment from it.

Oh my god, my wallet is already screaming at me.

My first thought is bummer, since my Kelvin timeline heavy cruiser is on my Xbox account, but then my Odyssey class ship is on my PC account so maybe yay?

Want to know how to get me back into STO? This is how you get me back into STO!?

What do you all think, should I get a model of the USS Pasta Bolognese or the USS Pizza Margherita? Or both?

I can safely say that I will not be able to afford one.

Does it still have the janky 3rd person away-team combat or did they finally fix that?

I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn’t. I also struggled a lot with the ship systems and how they worked. I never seemed to figure that out, which I found troubling, because, it’s an MMO. They’re not supposed to be hard to understand.

Oh man, that ship in the link, the Odyssey class, that’s the one I would get. Fully painted would be awesome, but $350 …

Keep in mind, the prices they mentioned are promotional launch pricing. So the price actually gets higher.

https://gameprint.net/startrek

I want to know if they do custom ships that mix/match pieces from various classes.

The link reads like they will do mix-and-match ships, since it mentions pieces that they can’t print.

We didn’t really talk about it here, but I imagine anyone following Star Trek Online is aware that the next season is coming soon called Victory Is Life and set around Deep Space Nine. They have been dropping names of cast members providing voice work, like getting Rene Aberjunois back as Odo, and Nana Visitor as Kira.

But just yesterday they released the rest of the names, and I figured some folks around here (cough cough @BrianRubin) might be interested to know they got Andrew Robinson in the booth as Garak, in addition to Alexander Siddig as Bashir and Jeffrey Coombs as Weyoun. Consider me … interested.

More info here:

Oh fuck. FUCK. Now I gotta play.

Also, the introductory pricing is going to expire soon. Right now, you can get a 12-inch, hand-painted model for $350. The new pricing is going to be $500+

Happy 9th Birthday, STO.

Foundry shutting down.

Because no one left at the studio knows how it works, they can’t add to it or change anything in it. True story.