Star Valor achieves Escape Velocity

Is it necessary to enlist mercenaries to accumulate command points, or is there another way to get them? I now have a corvette and would like to add my Valor Mk III to my fleet but I have zero Command knowledge, which I can only get if I have a fleet? Seems like a Catch-22 without resorting to mercenaries who eat up a lot of ones profits.

Edit: I added a merc to my ‘fleet’ and almost immediately it bumped into a Knight and got destroyed. Are fleets worth it?

Dodge Biffrock?

My experience was that I added my old ship to my fleet, it was largely ineffective, and when it warped away due to low HP (there’s a setting) it would warp itself back in a few seconds later to die, so it was all a waste of time and effort.

I like the fact that I can get a merc to bump my fleet commander skill, buy a mining ship, add it to fleet and assign a pilot, outfit it with just mining lasers, and then just leave the ship to mine an entire asteroid field while I busy myself elsewhere. You still skill up on Geology based on fleet mining. So satisfying!

It should only warp back if you re-summon it (with the launch button).

Anytime tried this on the steam deck?

That’s not how it worked for me. It would automatically warp in for combat no matter where it was, and would do so again a few seconds after escaping. I couldn’t find a setting to turn it off.

Lou Albino, captain of the Red Eye.

Not sure if you can get some fleet command levels from drones. Pretty sure I got a few somewhere.

Not yet but I will be once mine arrives next week.

It doesn’t do it automatically but it seems like there’s a key to make it happen hidden somewhere. For me it happened to be ‘5’ like I was confused about earlier. Once I rebound the ability I had on 5 to something else it hasn’t happened since. That’s been my experience, anyway.

As Kevin says, one of the quirks (features?) of Star Valor is that it is possible to assign the same hotkey to multiple actions. In this case “5” and “6” to your gadgets and doodads which are also the buttons for “launch” and “dock” respectively.

You should be able to check from your ship equipment screen.

Can you see where these are assigned anywhere? I can’t find anything in the UI that indicates 5 launches ships, I just bumped into it on accident.

You have to change it from the equipment screen. yes, it’s weird, and i looked the same place as you did.

I’m familiar with changing equipment hotkeys there, but are you saying that’s where the fleet command like telling your other ships/mercs to dock or warp to you are as well? If so, what a strange place to put it!

EDIT: Oh, finally found it. If anyone else comes along in the thread and has trouble locating the Launch and Dock hotkeys, you have to click Configure Behavior on an individual ship/captain in your fleet, then you can set it there. Very unintuitive place to be, IMO. I don’t know why it’s not with the general keybinds as it’s not specific to a particular ship.

EDIT 2: The reason it’s on an individual screen per pilot/ship is that it CAN be independent. So once you have a carrier, you can set up a fighter wing, a repair wing, etc. and launch/recall them that way. I only thought it was a global key because those were the defaults it assigned to each ship.

Also, I just purchased a Dominance and the size of the thing is absurd, haha. For comparison, I moved it next to a space station.

I already thought the Donkey was big and unwieldy. Should be interesting, I’ve wanted to try out a carrier for a while!

Look at the size of that thing!

Yeah it’s… ridiculous. Haha.

By the way, I finally found a PMC refinery today! Thanks for the heads up on that, if I wasn’t keeping an eye out for it specifically I don’t know if I would have noticed it at a station I docked at (the one in the screenshot, actually.).

Now look for a second one 🤣

With the new update allowing mining ships to collect and refine ore, mining has never been easier!

I wish I had started a couple days later than I did, hah. I ended up doing the mining myself as I found it easier to manage, but that would have been nice. Now I think I’m largely past the point of the game where I’m doing too much mining.

Interesting writeup. I’ve had Star Traders: Frontiers in my Steam library for… years, probably. And Steam says I have like 2 minutes in it. Strangely enough, I actually have it already installed (must have had the idea to try it at some point but didn’t follow through) so maybe it’s time to give that game a spin. :)

What he says about Star Sector is spot-on, IMO. “Exhausting” was kind of the right word for it. The constant scrounging for supplies and fuel and everything else was really cool as it drives so much of the game, but at the same time it started to wear me out when combined with trying to figure out how to build and equip my fleet, how much was too much, etc. And the combat – while super cool – was too hard for me to ever do any good with. I just had the AI play my ship because no way in hell I could compete with its ability to manage flux and everything else.

I still liked Star Sector but there were a few things that kind of dragged on my motivation when I played it, just a mounting mental/decision fatigue or something. There’s a lot I really like about it but it feels like it’s not quite there with what I’m looking for.

Star Valor has been fantastic but I think maybe I’ve seen a lot of what can be seen. I have a Dreadnaught and I’m going around blowing up some alien stations, trying to get the rebels to like me. They got up to Friendly but then I stopped getting any rep from blowing up alien ships. Then I went and tried to hunt down one of their systems (if they had one) and finally located one, but it was undergoing a massive alien attack. They blew up one station but I managed to halt them from the second so I thought maybe I could start running some quests for them and get my rep to the trigger point where the quest would proceed or something, but not 10 minutes after I barely stopped the previous invasion fleet another one showed up. That could get tedious fast as I feel like I have to stop it since I scouted probably 50+ systems trying to find a rebel system and this has been the first one I’ve seen.