Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

This isn’t how even most ongoing movies works. I understand some Star wars fans have this huge need to set-up new rules just so these movies can fail them, but if you look at the history of movies… a lot of them just don’t do this. Heck if you compared Star Wars, as is, to other movies The Matrix, Aliens, Jurassic Park… doesnt’ hold true at all, and they are doing fine in comparison. Hell that’s only the counting the ones that actually made it to three; we have movies that failed in their trilogy or more movies runs at movie one and didn’t even get the trilogy, and then you have a long graveyard of remakes we haven’t touched.

MCU was a 10 year plan. Star Wars was… not. They’re not the same beast, and in comparisons to other beloved runs, Star Wars is not some sort of ultimate failure at all.

Whitta has a Twitter thread going now, talking about some of the decisions on R1. So, he was fairly involved it looks like.

Exactly. It should have been. Planned, with consistent vision, that is. Then the reception would have been better, and it would have made lot more money than it did.

Not just that, it could have laid the groundwork to generate huge revenue for many more years. Between over saturation and a mediocre “final trilogy” I know a lot less people excited about Star Wars today than I did 5 years ago.

I love this post from that thread:

haha.

Me too, and myself included. Several of my friends who were there with me at midnight showing of TFA and TLJ didn’t go see Rise and do not care anymore.

That’s me. I really didn’t have any enthusiasm going into this last one, I likely wouldn’t have seen it had my work not rented out a theater. I never saw Solo, even before hearing the poor reviews.

It’s kind of sad. It was honestly a shock to not be excited about a Star Wars film, of all things. I didn’t even hate any of this latest trilogy, I just wasn’t attached/invested at all.

Different topic, but did anyone else find it a little sad to see the aged version of these characters on the screen? I know I’m supposed to cheer at the sight of an older Billie D Williams, but I don’t know, I don’t like seeing the much older version of these actors. There’s something about the Silver Screen and the actors being cemented as these young stars. I want to keep them that way in my mind. It reminds me of when I saw Tony Curtis on David Letterman in the 90s. @Navaronegun might know who he is, since he watches Grandpa movies. I remember watching him so many times in Operation Petticoat when he was a young dashing man. It was just sad to see the older actor on Letterman, he was almost unrecognizable with the added weight and age.

Harrison Ford is one of the exceptions since he aged so well and never really left our screens. But everyone else who kind of disappeared from view were all pretty young and full of vigor in my mind’s eye. But then you see the older version of Karen Allen, for instance who came back for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I think I almost physically recoiled when I first saw her again, she looked so different.

Nice try, pulling me into this hive of sugar yums and filler-y, Rocketman.

Evidently no one ever dies. They are available for cameos (or download) for fan-service.

They should probably recreate Tony Curtis for Episode XVIII. Star Wars: The Last Operation Petticoat.

You are looking back like a ten year plan is simply normal, somethign that is done. MCU is unique. The Harry Potter Movies that had actual books behind them were not even that well planned out. It is not realistic to expect that from every movie attempt, especially the ones without the strong book ties. It’s expensive, risky, and movies like The Mummy are going to be more common than Iron Man. And let’s keep in mind, Divergent which had a book back and still nose dived. Maze Runners was the same, at least I think that had books with it.

I know who this is. He is in one of my top favorite movies ever with Kirk Douglas.

I think seeing these actors aged as they are is… special, and no it’s not typical which leads to the special part. Marvel did not try and run that 40 years older so even MCU isn’t a great comparison.

I find it a little sad to see the aged version of everyone. Especially myself, in the mirror.

It doesn’t have to be a ten year plan, it would suffice if it was three movie plan. You know, since they were making a trilogy. That followed existing 6 movies.

I mean this ain’t rocket science. There is a reason Babylon 5 is one of the best, if not The best scifi shows ever. Straczynsky had it meticulously planned out year by year through to the end and the pay-offs were incredible. I am getting misty eyed just thinking about it.

More like a request for a 40 year plan actually.

Just getting three writer / directors who were all on the same page would probably be enough.

I’m surprised at the RT audience score for this movie. I checked shortly after it was enabled and after a very quick and small drop (back when it was around 6k reviews I think), it seems it hasn’t moved one inch for the last 40k or so of their new “verified” reviews.

I’m no mathematician or statistician and I understand this falls within the realm of possibility, but just for fun I will allow my right eyebrow to arch upwards just a teeny bit.

Good god, what a f’n retconned mess of a steaming pile of crap movie. I just can’t, I’m not going to bother organizing my thoughts.

My friend (whose opinion I share) said, “I’m having trouble thinking of what someone could dislike about this movie!” So, you know, opinions differ.

I don’t even think they have to plan out what happens in the future, but should certainly know what ALREADY HAPPENED. Like if the first movie makes a big deal out of Rey’s parents, they don’t need to know what will happen, but they should at least KNOW WHO HER PARENTS ARE AND WHAT THEY DID.

Just got back from it and had a blast. There were certainly issues which prevented it from being spectacular, but it hit the target I was hoping for.

Disney and Lucasfilms’ newest Star Wars pic finished Wednesday with $258.9 million domestically and $259.9 internationally for a global total of $516.8 million as it races toward the $1 billion mark.