Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

It would be tough to do. The main thing the movie already lacks is a driving force to propel the scenes forward. One of the reasons I found Episode 8 so compelling is that the whole setup and the stakes were so high and immediate, it made all the action that much more heightened. I’m not sure if you can create that sort of reason and urgency for events if you’re editing so much stuff out.

Oh 14 year old lens remember? I just switch off on the romance bits. Ewwww girls. but of course, yes they were awful.

but I only watched it on Saturday, and still loved most of it.

Wow, you hit puberty late. 14 year old me never went “ewwww girls”. Maybe 10 year old me.

My inner 14 year old hated the second trilogy, hated TLJ and loved Rogue One. My inner 14 year old (speaking of the second trilogy) can’t handle endless conference meetings. And his attention span doesn’t jive well with 20 minute light saber fights.

Exactly. My inner 14 year old doesn’t want to see an 18 ear old acting like a 13 year old awkwardly courting a 22 year old pretending to be an 18 year old for 20 minutes.

“I hate sand…”

In my imaginary edit, Anakin exists and characters talk about him but he doesnt appear - kind of like Harry Lime through most of The Third Man. At certain points Obi Wan would go, I wonder what Anakin is doing now? Then he would get a little dreamy and out of focus as if to cut to a dram sequence, and then he would say, ah screw it, I haven’t used my lightsaber in at least five minutes.

I wish I could empathize with people who hate The Last Jedi so much and their ongoing campaign to ensure that they shit up every thread about it or its sequels just to ensure that those who liked it feel they’re wrong.

But I can’t.

I mean, I hated the three prequels. I think they’re terribly-made films with awful acting, too much CG, and poor direction. But it’s not like I spent years making sure to attack it at every opportunity, shit on them in every thread about anything related to Star Wars, or even endlessly worry about whether The Force Awakens would be any good when it was first announced.

They’re just fucking movies, my dudes. If you didn’t like it, that’s cool. Move on to something else already.

Especially if you claim “there hasn’t bee a good SW movie with an original story for 38 years”, like, what are you even doing with your time, wasting it in threads about Star Wars? That seems like a huge waste of your time.

Like button, this forum needs.

+2 Force Points. 1 for Yoda speak. 1 for Wumpus troll.

Anakin = Harry Lime! Sold!

As much meh as I feel about VIII I will still watch IX when it comes out.

Same here. I want to see how JJ tries to return this trilogy to being a carbon copy clone of the original. Which brings to mind a possible title: Return of the Clone?

I leaned towards the hate side regarding TLJ, but really liked Solo (even more than TFA) despite things that I can see would turn off others. So I’m hopeful they can turn the main series around in IX.

Feel the opposite. Fast-forwarding though the godawful romancing bits, there’s so much fun stuff in AotC. Probably the best action scenes in the series other than Empire.

And yet another example of the Jedi being perennial dupes and walking into a trap.

7 battle-filled years later, Mace brilliantly opines: I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi. Oh, really, great warrior and battlefield commander? Do tell.

I look forward to seeing the destruction of the partially built Starkiller Base 2 as it orbits a jungle planet with a shield generator. #seewhatwedidthere?

Actually, all will be forgiven on my end if he can work in “it’s a trap” somewhere in the film.

Man I went into it expecting to hate it, but a recent rewatch with my 4.5 year old made me reconsider.

The romance is still god awful, certainly, but as a story it almost works. The idea of manufacturing a crisis in order to centralize power by manipulating both sides is interesting. The execution is lackluster, but the idea has merit.

And, yeah, it probably rose the most in my estimation on rewatching. While Revenge, my previous ‘best’, fell most.

Agree. Of those three it’s better than Phantom Menace. That just has Jar-Jar and Committee meetings and a child actor…god…what a recipe for success…

That’s what I meant earlier about the prequels trying to tell a good story. Lucas had a decent narrative skeleton, he just should’ve hired a good script writer and director and sat back as exec producer and let talented people bring his vision to the screen.