Star Wars Episode VII - Official release date

After Last Jedi, I’m all in. I’ll go see whatever they put out with the Star Wars name now.

I haven’t either.

After 7, I was mildly interested in what will happen to the characters. They seemed to have potential depth and recreate the magic of the original characters. And then 8 came along. Now I honestly don’t care what happens to these characters and their 10-person “Resistance”.

notsureifserious.jpg

You can see my posts on the topic in the all positive Star Wars thread.

Rogue One is the best of the Disney films, absolutely worth seeing.

Solo was ok. Not great, not terrible. A bit too reliant upon expanding every bit pf character backstory hinted at in the films, and not bringing much new to the table. Made it feel smaller since every major event in his life seems to happen in 3 days.

If I had to rank the new ones…

Best to Worst:
Rogue One
Episode 7
Solo
Episode 8

Looks at thread title, is this also the episode 9 thread?

To make your life harder, Craig is the opposite of correct; Rogue One is hot garbage and Solo is the most fun I’ve had since RotJ

Then again, Empire isn’t even in my top 5 SW films, so, you know, take that with however much salt you need to.

The Episode 9 thread is here:

But they didn’t hand wave it. In Star Trek (the reboot) Spock from the original timeline explains how Scotty perfected beaming aboard even a Warp speed ship in his timeline. He gave him the equations.

It’s not at all far to leap to that becoming a personal level transportation device in Into Darkness.

Not in mine, either!

EMpire

I know Star Wars is out of fashion, but I want to work on one.

Actually it brought some important canon to the table but you had to really pay attention to see beyond all of the obvious fan call backs and easter eggs to pick it up. Very little that they added to canon has much to do with Solo and with him as the focus, a major intertwining of criminal organizations being run by the Sith, was very understated in the film but it seems that it will be fairly pretty important going forward.

Nah, that was already brought in through Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. It was an easter egg for fans on the TV series. We know precisely where that goes already.

Same as the reference to Han betting his ‘VCX-100’ against Lando.

JJ wanted to blow up Coruscant. Lucasfilm made them change it to the faux-Coruscant of Hosnian Prime.

Faux Coruscant fits in right with Faux Tatooine and Faux Hoth (oh, wait, “it’s salt!”)

I guess I’m not sufficiently observant. I thought they had blown up Coruscant. How did we know it was Hosnian Prime, was there a label overlayed I didn’t notice or dialog I didn’t pick up on?

JJ also introduced Faux Tatooine 3 in Rise of Skywalker, as wasn’t Faux Tatooine 2 in Rogue One?
Jakku being Faux Tatooine 1.

A repeated sin after making everything a Death Star. If JJ did a 10th movie the stormtroopers would have had Death Star laser rifles. Just shoot the ground to explode the planet.

Fuck Star Wars, etc

I think it was an unnecessary choice to destroy Coruscant (or any entire planet, or to reintroduce a new DeathStar etc)… making a big splashy ‘look what we’re doing to the universe’ change that actually doesn’t motivate any strong story developments. So fine, they made up a planet we don’t care for to detroy instead, and that most won’t even know was different, as mentioned above.

But as someone who liked the idea of a widespread galaxy, the amount of times we revisit locales that looks like the OT planets, whether the same or just named different, is extremely grating. For a backwater nothingscape of a dustball, Tatooine and (Tatooine-lookalikes I guess) sure feature disproportionately.

But apparently planets are dustball-sized in the minds of the characters as well. Mandalorian literally decides “this planet is taken” when he finds one fellow traveller inhabiting one pathetic village in one country on one continent of an entire planet. (That’s the episode where he’s desperate to find lodging in a mudhut, when you know, he ostensibly spends 99.9% of his time in a spaceship that has everything you need to stay alive and hidden as long as he wants. F SW.)

Sand is pretty cheap and you get free lighting, we’re going to be on Tatooine for a long time.