Star Wars Episode VII - Wretched Hive of Rumor and Spoilers Thread

Hey, have you seen the movie? Do you not care about spoilers?

Let’s discuss the plot here.

Use these please.

Man, remember when Han and Luke got caught smuggling the spice from the Romulan Empire by the dreaded Kodan Armada?

Talk about it here.

That being said, early returns are good, and the premiere response has been. “They did it right”

I’m seeing it today!!! So excited.

Kick ass. Let’s get some impressions in here ASAP, soldier!

Seriously don’t look. This is a major spoiler.

[spoiler]

Han dies. He is killed by his son, Kylo Ren, who is Luke’s former apprentice.[/spoiler]

I told you not to look.

Yeah Jack, I heard about that last night sadly, my friend texted me talking bout the movie and what time we were going Friday, then casually mentioned it like he thought I already knew it… I was all like…

I hadn’t heard that, but I’ve already bet my coworkers that this would be the case. One of those ‘I have a feeling about this person’ type things.

I am also going to make a rule now that seems fair. For the first week, spoilers should go in tags. After that, people should be wary to wander in here. I am also typing this having read none of the responses above, as I am trying to keep myself safe.

Seriously don’t read this if you haven’t seen the movie. You’ve been warned.

Saw it tonight

[spoiler] This movie is like seeing your ex-girlfriend for the 2nd time. The time after she’s dumped that chump that came after you. She’s just living life, but she’s not quite the same girl you loved.

Overall I liked it like I liked the first JJ Star Trek. It’s good once, but I’m not sure I need to see it again. Finn’s lines feel like they should be in another movie. I knew Han was going to die. I knew Kylo was going to be who he was. I will say I was surprised that Rey, at this point, is just some girl and not a Skywalker. I actually wish there hadn’t been a Sun crusher in this film or that it was something that was just rumored or seen briefly. I felt they tried to cram too much in. I was really enjoying what they were setting up with Adam Driver. The original characters have all been dumped to the side as cameos just to tie the new characters to the series and that irks me. Finally I don’t know how to put my finger on it, but this movie like Star Trek has really, really bad actors in 5 lines or less roles. Seriously it pulls you out of the story more than once. I will say that JJ did a great job at capturing the spirit of the old films and delivered a movie that people will like.] [/spoiler]

I will also say that Forced Alliance setup a very similar story 9 years ago!

How much screen time did Mark Hamill get? Just looking for a ballpark.

QUOTE=Pogue Mahone;3897282]How much screen time did Mark Hamill get? Just looking for a ballpark.[/QUOTE]

In seconds or minutes?

45 seconds

I just saw it a few hours ago. One thing that really didn’t make much sense to me was how Finn and Rey, and later Finn and Poe, hugged each other again after having been separated like they had been friends for decades. Especially Finn and Poe doing that was really silly. They had barely escaped together in an enemy spaceship for a few minutes, that’s all. That kind of hugging should come after a movie or two, not after having fled a few explosions.

But maybe that’s all it takes to become really good friends in Star Wars.

What about Rey and Leia? Hi you don’t even know me, but let’s hug.

Snokes looks so silly, like he should have been in Avengers 3 or X-men or something. Please tell me when he’s not a holograph he is a regular person size?

Everything about that character just pisses me off. Don’t like the name, at least give him a title like Hutt or Emperor to make him sound scary. Hoping it will be better in the 2nd film.

Did you think that the film I think tried to do too much? It could have just been about the kids, but then we have to resolve the sun crusher. I love the idea of it, but wished they had only hinted at it or left it be for another film.

As it is. rebel’s plan is devised in about 2 seconds while we see how diverse the Star Wars universe is with women, and cameos from tv-world. Seriously, every time Ken Leung opened his mouth I wanted to shout at the screen. He was terrible. His shouting techno jargon belongs in the other scifi series JJ runs.

Saw it today. It was amazing, but what really bothers me is that only a couple of squadrons of X-wings are enough to take on a whole militairy planet.
Have the Resistance side been reduced to just this little firepower??

Also they have that many stormtroopers but they only use just one guard to guard Rey?

You usually don’t expect people strapped into a chair to need a ton of guarding.

Anyone who cares about spoiler lose all right to complain after walking into an explicit spoiler thread.

Spoiler

Oh come on, Rey had nearly lost her own life as well as her friend’s to Kylo, and Leia had just lost her lover to their own son – the same guy. There’s also the scene where Kylo mutters something about Rey seeing Han as a kind of father.

There’s enough connections there to warrant that hug and I think the same applies to the other hugs, albeit to a lesser degree. Sounds like some folk in here don’t get enough hugs! ;-)

Edit: actually, had they not even met? For some reason I thought they had already but… no, I don’t think they did. In which case, yeah, that is weird! I take it back!

I got to bed at 3am after being invited along to a staff showing (for free!) and had a blast with it. I went in almost totally blind having only seen the very first teaser trailer once so there were so many great surprises and moments to be had. I haven’t seen the original trilogy since I was a kid and in recent years I’ve honestly felt totally jaded/burnt out/fed up of Star Wars as a whole. After last night however, I’m convinced episodes I-III are mostly to blame for this because with The Force Awakens I felt the magic again for the first time in years, decades even. And that was wonderful. There was so much heart in everything and the characters were terrific. The special effects had this lovely mix of real puppets and CG which I thought was a lovely touch. It all felt very natural and effortless. I laughed a lot throughout too which is always welcome and something I loved about Guardians of the Galaxy.

A few things off the top of my head:

Spoiler

[ul]
[li]I agree that there could have been a little more downtime. I loved the early scenes of Rey scavenging and living her life on Jakku[/li][li]It was very similar, structurally, to what I remember of A New Hope with several neat twists. I appreciated that this time it was the bad guy being won over by the light, rather than the other way around[/li][li]Perhaps my biggest issue with the film is the way they handled Rey’s mastery of the force. I mean, okay, she’s got it, but she went from ‘Huh?’ to mind tricks and light sabre duelling in no time. At least Finn looked somewhat unwieldy[/li][li]Loved the variety in the characters and languages/accents[/li][li]I’m glad that Finn 'fessed up to being a Stormtrooper early rather than it getting drawn out to a clichéd discovery by Rey[/li][li]I honestly, for a moment, believed that Kylo was going to spare Han and ‘turn’[/li][li]Some of my favourite moments included when Rey and Finn giddily celebrated their victory against the TIE fighters, the ‘Are you okay?’ line from Finn when he’s the one who was knocked out (I loved the look in Rey’s eyes as he said this), and the line Poe says during the bombing runs ‘If there’s light, there’s hope.’[/li][li]It was beautifully shot[/li][li]The scenes of the super-massive Death Star thing destroying those systems were surprisingly affecting[/li][li]I loved that Chewy’s weapon threw a Stormtrooper backwards with such force that the armour shattered against the back wall[/li][li]Lightspeed monster melting![/li][li]Kylo effortlessly holding the blaster bolt in the air throughout the slaughter scene[/li][li]I know it was only a first viewing but I didn’t discern any clear musical themes for the new characters, which is unfortunate[/li][li]Wilhelm scream inside 15 minutes[/li][li]I liked Snokes, name aside, and really loved the WTF moment when he appeared and the neat twist of it being a hologram. I’m sure he’s normal sized.[/li][/ul]

I agree in part that more downtime would’ve been nice, but it kinda needs to maintain that breakneck pace to distract you from the shaky plotting.

Pop quiz: how the hell did Han wind up picking up the Millennium Falcon?

Answer: ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Look! Here’s a (pretty bad) action sequence completely wasting The Raid crew to distract you from thinking too hard about it.

Uh, it told you in the film: the moment the Falcon was flagged by the Order on Jakku it was all over their comms which Han picked up on straight away.