Star Wars Episode VII - Wretched Hive of Rumor and Spoilers Thread

This is definitely not the case. Midichlorians (shudder) and all that. Even in the OT, it’s clearly an inherent trait of some individuals (and bloodlines): “The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And…my sister has it.” It takes training to develop that innate ability to its full potential, but it isn’t a discipline that all and sundry can learn. Force users are definitely imbued with powers and abilities that others are not.

I can’t believe we are still going on about this movie. It’s about Space Wizards. What else do you need to know? I’m thinking that the people in China are on to something, what with Warcraft beating Star Wars at the box office.

FTFY!

True that Luke’s lineage is supposed to be special but I don’t remember them ruling it out that people couldn’t use it regardless of heritage. Only with the prequels does it gets so explicit.

Everyone has mutant genes but not everyone has mutant powers!

No doubt you are right, but at least people aren’t going on and on about it.

I will go to watch the Last Jedi next Wednesday. I was preparing myself by watching TFA for a second time.

It’s truly a very good Star Wars film at first. Very good cinematography, good use of practical and cgi effects, the hard to get mood of classic Star Wars is there, it has the right mix of adventure, humor, action and drama, new and good characters with chemistry, and with more depth than I’d expected, I really liked their more vulnerable sides, with Finn just wanting to escape and not fight because he knows the First Order too well and Rey running away from what the lightsaber represents…

Then the main plot happens. Ugh… not only it’s mostly a remake as everyone knows already, it’s exactly a remake of the Episode 4, which I will be honest: I was always pretty bleh about the story of that one, even if it was the one that started everything. So it’s like double bleh from me.

Add to that I didn’t like how they dealt the transition from Ep VI to VII with the Empire/First Order, imo it seems to steal the hard earned victory of the old trilogy, as it seems they were barely victorious, the impression it gives me was that the Empire re-surged in barely a few months. It’s silly, but I would have liked if they would have said the First Order was something recent. And the whole planet as a weapon seems so silly! It’s just dumb one-upmanship: “Even bigger than the Death Star! Now instead of destroying one planet, it can destroy four at the same time!”.

Then add Kylo Ren which at least in this film I disliked him (maybe he will improve with proper character building in TLJ), and little details like Rey being OP (she can fight for herself, perfect. But she also pilots well despite it seems she has never done it before, AND she repairs the Millennium Falcon better than Han Solo AND she beats the most powerful Sith in her first saber fight?!!! Is her true father Yoda??!!!) and yeah, it seems to me a flawed film.

So i’ve finally watched this and…

What a weird director. JJ is so uninterested in plot. He lovingly recreates all the aesthetic and sound but can’t give two figs for the why. This can most clearly be seen in that goofy Snoke character; we need a chittering CGI cartoon villain, apparently.