Star Wars Episodr IX spoilers thread

This movie was simultaneously very bad and ok.

Rey is Palpantine’s grand daughter because reasons.

Kylo Ren is redeemed but only to die after talking to Han Solo who can become a force ghost. Though this is hand waved away as a memory.

Finn might be force sensitive.

Rey can now heal people by touching them is this a force power we were aware of previously? Would have been really useful for the Fallen Order video game.

Someone from Disney/Lucas said that Ep7 of Mandalorian is “connected” to ROTS. I think them showing that Baby Yoda can do both dark/light side powers and the healing thing is supposed to allow it for the ROTS movie.

Right.

Does that mean all TV is also canonical? eg the Xmas special?

;-)

Only Neue Star Wars stuff that shows up on Disney+. They 99% of the old Expanded Universe stuff.

Aside from the battle on the death star I dont think any of the other action sequences were particularly memorable.

Space horses not do it for you?

I found the space horses more believable than the bombers in the last movie.

I don’t even think that’s very good to be honest. Sure, it’s “visually stunning” or whatever, but the stakes are so unclear there’s no tension to it. Kylo isn’t even trying to kill her.

That is very true

This was a cool trilogy, pity they crammed it into a single movie and made a mess.

Theres no breathing space. Everything happens so fast nothing lands, even the cool stuff.

3 hours of stupid, IMO. Still digesting, but it’s like it couldn’t go 2 minutes without putting something nonsensical onscreen, from poor writing, to choppy cuts, silly scenes, poor jokes - all constantly challenging my suspension of disbelief.

JJ should have insisted on splitting the movie in two. Disney probably wanted to cut their losses though.

A Tetralogy?

A Trilogy in Four Parts, might as well copy from the best too.

The animated cartoons will fix it!

What if all the Sith are in one person fighting all the Jedi in another person while rebels shoot down a thousand star destroyers and all the Star destroyers have planet killing weapons? Wouldn’t that be a totally rad and well earned finale you guys!?

This was hot garbage. Insultingly plotted. One macguffin to the next, unearned call backs, and a stilted handling of Leia.

I’ll say this in its favor: Adam Driver/Kylo Ren was a high point for me in every one of these three movies, and the beginning of his redemption arc here was the single point where I thought the movie might turn things around and win me back. The energy of that moment didn’t stick, but I still enjoyed Kylo’s arc and Driver’s performance throughout.

Also that was the worst space battle I can remember in Star Wars. (Maybe the prequels were worse, I don’t remember them well.)

Also also, you know that thing everyone likes to complain about, how all the super hero movies end with some glowing thing shooting up into the sky that must be stopped? Let’s do that here too!

Ugh.

Apparently I’m in the minority here, but I quite enjoyed it. Just got out and digesting.

I liked it too. I am not sure these are movies I will see again, but it was the least a fitting end to the trilogy before us.

Really? All that really sticks in my mind about him from TFA is Darth Tantrums, and I have to say that I was a little bit shocked to see someone in another thread extol him as a possible standard bearer of some kind of New Direction in Acting. I haven’t seen him in anything else.

Loved how much of this movie, for an action-adventure movie, was close shooting of Rey’s face. I thought that worked well.

Space horses were a little too far for me, though I thought the fight on the ship deck was fun and firmly in the swashbuckling serial tradition.