Star Wars Galaxies Delayed

So first they announce an incredibly ambitious game. It has a ton of features that everyone is clamoring for and everyone is positive it’ll make a huge splash.

Then they announce that they’re cutting back on the features, since they’ve had some minor difficulties. However, they’re still going to launch approximately on time – some of the features are just going to come in a later patch.

Next, they announce that the game is being delayed for additional beta testing so they can get it right the first time.

Now, to be fair, I admire their willingness to try to do it right.

SWG by Xmas 03? We’ll see…

Well, probably better to delay than flop in their first month… or even to just be mediocre.

We’ll see. The longer it’s pushed back, the more likely I am to wait for EQ2 (presuming it isn’t too seriously delayed itself – a risky proposition); fantasy games appeal to me a lot more than do science fiction games.

Yeah, I like fantasy better too. I like swords and armor and spells more than rayguns and psionics.

I really want vehicles in SWG too. The idea of having to hoof it in a sci-fi game seems stupid.

VERY smart to delay the launch. You only get one chance to do it; you have to make sure you do it right and that you are technically stable, or you’ll lose a bunch of potential customers you’ll never get back.

How would you know? :wink:

Eh. One delay is no big deal. A debut like Anarchy Online or WWII Online would be a big deal. If delays pile up or if further features are clipped, then I would get nervous. Or if they change the name to Uru: Adventures in the Worlds of Star Wars Online.

The could delay the game an entire year and I doubt it would hurt them with their customer base much. The fans will still sign up when it’s launched.

I guess it’s into the breach with Shadowbane to get that new MMOG game fix.

I think I’ll wait and see how the initial reports go. PvP games don’t really call to me.

How would you know? :wink: [/quote]

I had this dream, and in the dream there was a Wookie holding a broken server…

Eh. One delay is no big deal. A debut like Anarchy Online or WWII Online would be a big deal. If delays pile up or if further features are clipped, then I would get nervous. Or if they change the name to Uru: Adventures in the Worlds of Star Wars Online.

I have to agree with Mark on this one. They could delay until 2005 to get all the features in and the fans would still check it out.

they could burn down a church full of babies and people would still want this game. i will sit and wait for it.

Wasn’t that the promotion?

Yeah, the delay is maybe a saving grace for Shadowbane. SWG could be delayed indefinitely without losing much commercial appeal, provided the graphics aren’t badly outdated at the time of release (and right now they’re state of the art). I’m glad to see this delay.

Wasn’t that the promotion?[/quote]

I think they burned a church full of Jar Jars and the kid who played Anakin in Episode I. And there was much rejoicing.

I’ll buy 2

:lol:

Loyd