Star Wars III: Anti-Bush

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050515/111618582000.html

I am so not looking forward to the weeks of awful editorials this will spawn.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

“This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause,” bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

“If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy,” Hayden Christensen’s Anakin soon to become villain Darth Vader tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush’s international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, “Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.”

You need to start following my format, son.

Go Lucas!

On a related note, where’d portman’s hair go? V for Vendetta-related?

It’s her new goth look. retch

That “hairstyle” is a crime.

Yep.

she is still super hot.

Yea, last week in an interview with Access Hollywood Lucas said that he was impressed that the media was solving his underlying “hidden” Star Wars symbolism. He revealed that Count Dooku represented Karl Rove, Darth Maul is Condi Rice, Yaddle is John Kerry, Jar Jar Binks represents Al Franken, and, in a surprise to everyone that Lucas had impressively planned so far ahead, Lando is Obama and the Tauntauns are Hilary.

What about Chewbacca? You gotta have Chewbacca in there.

That’d be Bolton.

m. Bald chicks rule!

Strangely enough, I’ve always had no problem with this. Not just because George Lucas’ gift for unintentional political self parody reaches is nearly of Oliver Stone’s caliber, but because I’ve never really seen the empire as the black and white enemy which Star Wars seeks to create, even through the very lens of the movie.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Bonus: awesome overreaction to the above article here. I guess that might make unnecessary the mandatory qt3 explosion…Ja?

If you can’t accept the very creator’s interpretation of his work then I suggest you may well be missing the point. These guys did, after all, blow up a world, practiced racism and forced labor, denied local rights in favor of a massive centralized beaurocracy that nationalized much of the industrial base (or at least that portion which wasn’t corrupt enough to support The Empire outright). If you can’t see them as the bad guys then I’d suggest glasses. The Empire is the worst of Nazism, Imperialism and Stalinism all wrapped up in a pretty bow.

When I read Mein Kampf am I obligated to stoop to its creator’s moral standards before discussing it? Give me a break. I’m not missing the point; I disagree with it, that’s all.

These guys did, after all, blow up a world, practiced racism and forced labor, denied local rights in favor of a massive centralized beaurocracy that nationalized much of the industrial base (or at least that portion which wasn’t corrupt enough to support The Empire outright).

Well, no one said they were perfect, jeez. Besides, at least half of that sounds like the grassroots Democratic party that is so popular around here. I thought you guys loved big government.

If you can’t see them as the bad guys then I’d suggest glasses.
Because…I…can’t…“see”? OOOOOH, BURN.

The Empire is the worst of Nazism, Imperialism and Stalinism all wrapped up in a pretty bow.

And I’m sure if someone other than an Rebel propagandist (mixed up with that uniquely American dysfunctional democratic (small d) spin) was telling the story, the Osama Bin Leia connection would be far more obvious to you clear sighted folks.
Hey, running space is hard. Break a few eggs, and whatnot. Now if you’ll excuse me I must return to my storm trooper duties.

I think killing a planet full of ten billion people forfeits only moral claim you have to govern.

What about all those independant contractors aboard the second Death Star?

They were from the Haliburtoon system, obviously all of them were crooks.

They were working on rebuilding a weapon of mass destruction. Randall is correct that this legitimitely places them in the line of fire.

Also, apologists for the empire are just as guilty as the officials of the empire. Please report to an overwatch office for counseling on the topic.

Two objections to this, one of which I’ll mention:

On a galactic scale, blowing up a planet would be like a nuclear strike on a country, or maybe just a section of a country, in traditional reality. Its not the crazy crazy thing that it would be in our reality. After all, in the world of Star Wars there are many other planets with similar creatures.

Otherwise I agree. The Empire is a pretty clear reference to Nazi Germany. Militarism as the new definition of morality, self-righteousness suppressing all dissent and difference, power as an end and not as a means, etc. Its not a healthy culture.

Yeah, Time magazine had a picture of her recently, shaved head is for the movie she’s working on.