Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA, Respawn

I guess the difference with me is I when I suck at a game, I look in the mirror and wonder how I can get better. I don’t take it as a chance to lower the difficulty or make the game easier. It’s a game. By definition it has rules and it’s a competition. People tell me online I suck all the time, and I pick myself up and get better, or I don’t and look in the mirror again and realize this is as good as I’ll ever be. I’ll go look up some help online via FAQs and strategy guides. I don’t ask that they change the game for me.

Obviously this is not how many of you play games or look at the contest of completion that’s on offer. You’d just like to watch a nice Star Wars story while you move stuff around on screen. That’s totally fine. Have at it. It doesn’t change the fact this game is easy on its default difficulty for many, if not most, regular everyday videogame players. It is presenting zero challenge on its lowest difficulty and that would probably not even classify as a “game” by the definition of the word.

I think it’s interesting too that you all want me to “fuck you, buddy”, because I never said that to anyone here. I just said this game is super easy on default difficulty and I have always held the belief that if your initial interest is to tell a story, videogames are not the place to do it. That’s why we have movies. Knowing how this project started, I know that’s not what they had in mind. The story came in service to the game, same as Titanfall 2, which I like.

…and before people go there, I have high regard for offering options for people with disabilities and making things accessible. Where I differ is that I think “gamers”, which many (all?) of you would probably classify yourself, should be capable.

…one last edit… I was having a discussion with my son this past weekend about Apex Legends and Titanfall. He does not like Apex because they dumbed down the movement and combat options from Titanfall. I explained to him that I think part of the reason for that is Titanfall has a high barrier to entry from a skill perspective because it asks you to think in 3D all the time and use a lot of mobility skills people just never grasped. It’s a hard game to learn and even harder to master. With Apex, they took out just enough of that stuff to make it easy for people to get into but kept enough that they’re basically training everyone to play Titanfall. It will be much easier in a Titanfall 3 to put back in the pilot abilities like wall running and the double jump because it will just be one small step beyond what many people now know from a free to play game that has so much of what made Titanfall great.

So basically, his skill ceiling is so high that even games like Apex, which are fast and complex, are kinda simple and irritate him. He found Fallen Order, on the same difficulty I played on, easy. Boss fights were done in one or two tries, every time. That didn’t make me mad when it took me into the double digit tries to beat certain bosses. It just made me realize that I had to and could easily get better, and I did, and finished the game.