Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA, Respawn

Picked this up last night, installed it, am immediately going to lower it to ultra super easy when I start it. Let’s fight about that.

I would hope people would respect your decision to play a video game in whatever way you have the most fun with, without comment.

I know one person out there probably won’t.

Just reconcile yourself to the fact that you’re basically just watching a movie and we can all go on about our business.

If anyone wants to continue the discussion there.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn’t grow.
You didn’t improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It’s sad that you don’t know the difference.

I dont have an account there, but I appreciate the thought.

I can’t believe that he decided to reduce the discussion difficulty level from “Qt3” to “ResetEra”.

This is me. I start games on default difficulty. As soon as I have to retry a section multiple times I lower the difficulty. I do not have the time in my life to keep trying until I succeed (either through learning controls better or slowly learning strategy like in a Souls game). I’m a full time developer who also happens to own a game store and is a parent of an autistic kid. Time is my most valuable commodity and I’m in games for the experience and story not the challenge. As soon as a game starts abusing my scarce resource of time, I will try to change the game to fit my lifestyle or simply stop playing.

I LOL’d. For real.

Well, it made me terribly motion sick, so everyone wins.

Except me.

So basically you all don’t agree with me so personal attacks are ok. Got it.

To be fair, it seemed to those that choose a lower difficulty as though you were the one attacking them.

Why, because I called it super easy? That’s an attack?

I like super easy. You don’t like super easy.

I don’t understand why you insist that it’s ‘not a game’ then. I don’t know why I’m replying. I’m gonna go drop a ‘can’t possibly lose’ mod on XCOM 2 and watch that movie.

Oh crap, does that exist? I need to check that out. I love XCOM movies.

If you had just called story mode “super-easy” this wouldn’t be a conversation, because of course it is. You referred to the normal mode as super easy, which is great for you. Congrats. But that’s not the case for everyone. And I will not believe that’s a concept you cannot grasp.

This is just a sample, I’m doing other things right now so I’m not going to deep dive into this. If you can’t look at these quotes and realize that not everyone subscribes to your world-view, if you just lack basic empathy to understand that not everyone wants to play games the same way you do, then there isn’t a discussion to be had, and I’m out. I mean, I don’t care anyway I guess, but you asked me directly, and seem truely oblivious somehow, so here we are.

And besides, others have already pointed all of this stuff out to you, and I know you got those little notifications in the upper corner of your screen, so skim through those and see if that doesn’t help a little. But yes, even if you aren’t doing it overtly, you are attacking the people that play on super easy mode with your words. And there isn’t any reason to be a dick about it, but here we are. One of those examples, perhaps, of “keep your opinions to yourself”. I guess it’s too late for both of us.

Genuinely curious: which post did you consider a personal attack? Wavey’s post about Qt3 vs ResetEra being a lowering of difficulty? Scott’s post about continuing the discussion there?

I mean there were some pretty harsh initial responses, however I can understand reacting strongly and negatively to the gatekeeping in Dave’s initial post.

Responding ‘fuck you buddy’ may be pretty strong, but when responding to ‘not a game’ ‘real gamer’ ‘watch a movie instead’ type comments, I can understand where it comes from.

I had completely forgotten about this,

But to be fair, when I wrote it I thought we were all sort of kidding around about it and didn’t at the time know Dave was being so serious about the topic. That is, in hindsight, pretty harsh and a moment of levity that didn’t age well, so my apologies.

However, my sentiment still stands - it’s a shitty thing to say to someone, “well, if you aren’t good at normal you must suck” in other words (paraphrase).