Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA, Respawn

Hey if you make a good single player only game that doesn’t live off of milking micro transactions people will buy it…allot of it.

Players are clamoring for story DLC expansion.

Just in case anyone else is unaware like I was, there are cosmetic mods (texture/model swaps) for Jedi Fallen Order:

That’s so great. It’s a shame they couldn’t find a way to put the whole thing in the game in some way. I recognized bits and pieces of it though, from the game.

I just finished this, and I have to say, I ended up hating it. It started off as ‘oh, this is kind of fun, it’s Tomb Raider set in Star Wars…’… The gameplay and world building is serviceable, but I realized after a few hours of play, that nothing actually mattered. None of the skills made enough of a difference, that it was worth bothering to get experience for, and most enemies can just be run past. Those that can’t well…learn to dodge/block. You can finish the game without ever putting a point into anything. I also quickly realized that searching out loot crates and secrets was a complete waste of time, as that also did literally nothing for your character.

The poncho/lightsaber/droid stuff is such a missed opportunity. Different ponchos actually doing something meaningful, and letting you change up gameplay, or build towards certain skills… A droid skin that effected what the droid was better at… lightsaber components that actually allowed you to specialize and focus on one of the trees. There are so many missed opportunities in this game that would have made repeated playthroughs really fun and something to shoot for, as it stands, it’s not even worth playing through once.

/Shrug…there is no reason to care about anything in this game, other than the conclusion of the story. It’s such a good framework for a game, and then there’s no game there. Endless fights against the same mechanics, incessant backtracking in an effort to pad hours, enemy respawn on rest, again to pad game time.

This game is the epitome of all form, no substance to me. I know everyone seems to love it, but it actively pissed me off by the end.

Valid points all @Ultrazen, but to me, they don’t matter a single iota. I like the simple stormtrooper murder even if theres no RPG mechanics to go with the bits that could sustain one. Its gaming comfort food, a light snack of zap, schwing, woosh, Wilhelm scream.

I’m playing now and I think you’re both right! It’s annoying that all the loot is cosmetic, but that doesn’t make killing things less fun, and I still like exploring and finding a chest is a good acknowledgement that I did it well.

I am amazed that how much timewasting there is though - how far back you go when an enemy kills you compared to when you die to falling off something, how confusing some of the levels are - to be fair I’ve only done Zeffo but I spent a lot of time trying to find my way back to the ship and discovering odd new places. But it’s still fun being a Jedi.

I also wonder why more games don’t have some kind of sanity check on movement, like if I’m climbing sideways on a girder with a thousand-foot drop under me and I accidentally choose to drop off instead of jump up, it might be nice if my character said “I’m not jumping off here, that’s crazy” instead of happily killing himself.

Yesterday I watched an episode of Star Wars: Clone Wars where we see Dothomir and the Night sisters. I had no idea that stuff was already part of the Star Wars universe, and not all made up for Jedi: Fallen Order.

It was really cool seeing stuff from the game (kind of) on the screen.

I would agree that the clothing loot was pretty pointless but I enjoyed tinkering with the look of my lightsaber whenever I found new parts.

I was the opposite. The lightsaber couldn’t even be seen in normal 3rd person view, except on the very workbench on which you were fiddling with the look. So it seemed pointless to me. But the clothes? I could see that poncho all the time that i was playing, so the lightsaber color and the poncho were the only two cosmetic things that mattered to me. Oh, and the little robot’s look, of course.I can’t believe I’ve forgotten his name. It’s not BB8.

I would probably have liked the ponchos better if most of them didn’t look totally stupid, though I guess they did offer some interesting roleplaying opportunities. One of them is orange, so you could be hunter jedi, and one was yellow so you could be hazmat jedi, and one was black so you could be ninja jedi I guess.

I think you’ve just invented the movie.

In every Assassin’s Creed ever, I climb a 1000-foot tall tower and get to a ledge just a short hop-and-grab overhead. Yet my assassin gladly complies when I accidentally tell him to do a backflip into empty space and fall to his death.

Thanks, Ezio, or whatever your name was!

-Tom

I’m digging this game. It’s not too hard, not too deep, no pretenses. Just swoosh mash jump. Nice graphics too. It’s a solid 7. Those are underrated :D

So, I’ve been holding out for this to come out on EA Access, but it still hasn’t, for much longer than most games take, and it’s 50% off on PC right now, which is pretty tempting. On the other hand, it might just be them squeezing the last drops out of sales before sticking it on EA Access. Thoughts?

I would wait. There haven’t been any games yet that never made it to EA Access.

It is pretty darn good tho. Stick with it till the ending, as I found that it’s strongest bit, storywise.

Just started this from a Gamefly trial. I liked the opening story bits but I sure don’t feel very powerful as a Jedi early on. Little rodent creatures can get the jump on me and ruin my day quickly, while a few scout troopers Jedi control batons can somehow easily gang up on me.

Enjoying it so far though I’m only on the 2nd planet.