Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA, Respawn

From the official page:
From Respawn Entertainment comes a brand-new action adventure game which tells an original Star Wars™ story around a surviving Padawan set shortly after the events of Star Wars™: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith™ .

Cool.

I bet this will tempt me into watching that piece of shit movie a second time. I’m weak like that.

Watch Clone Wars the animated series instead, so much better.

Or watch the animated series Rebels, which takes place between episodes 3 and 4 where the game will take place.

But if you haven’t watched it, I will second the recommendation for Clone Wars.

I still haven’t seen Revenge of the Sith or Attack of the Clones, I remain very happy with my decision to avoid them. :)

Looking forward to see what Respawn’s other team have been hard at work on. They have a stellar track record, so my expectations are sky-high!

Jedi Holocron :eye_roll: ;)

A couple things:

1. Compare the cost of development for a tabletop game (and typical level of license-holder oversight/interference) versus that of an average videogame.
  2. What FFG is doing is actually very conservative considering their medium - they’re milking the shit out of a single cash cow license for most of what they’re doing instead of developing games with whatever theme and IP seems most appropriate.

True, but the inverse also applies. Look at the size of the market, and how much any individual game can make.

Setting aside the accuracy of this statement, FFG does have quite a few more themes and properties as well, that doesn’t change the fundamentals. FFG is making a broad spectrum of Star Wars board and tabletop games. You say milking, I say maximizing their market. I could go with a little more EA maximizing their market/ milking if it meant chasing more than just the AAA shooter sphere.

Right, but what’s conservative for the videogame market is doing super expensive, high profit potential shooters with a built-in revenue stream. EA’s not going to see the sort of returns that matter to them by diversifying. Whereas short of turning out another Magic (and frankly, I’m sure FFG is hoping to catch that particular lightning, they just haven’t), FFG pretty much has to keep churning out a whole range of game types just to stay in business, much less see a profit. But they’re going to slap the popular IP on them as much as they can. (It also saves on art assets.) And yes, that’s not always Star Wars. But that’s certainly the big, exclusive license they have and therefore the one they’re emphasizing the most.

TLDR: they’re not the same market, and so you’re just not going to get what you want. Sorry. I’d appreciate it too.

More people should play House of the Dying Sun.

Well, technically, X-wing was more a shooter than FIFA or Dragon Age, just saying ;)

I would pay good money for a Steam version of FFG’s Rebellion.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674546583&searchtext

Tabletop Simulator has your back (and board!)

Well, I wanted one with an AI.

Which for Rebellion might be a tough challenge given the different nature of the two sides.

This mod also requires you have the physical game to play, which is an understandable caveat, to protect FFG’s work and not get cease and desisted to oblivion. Still, I can almost never get someone to the table for this, which makes it a great option. All usual TTS grumbles included of course.

How does it check for that?

Blacked out objective cards, so you need the actual cards on hand.

Leaked art from Amazon:

Awwww man, now I’m imagining a Jedi on the run, crash landed on that planet. It reminds me of Mechwarrior 3. One Jedi against all the forces the authorities can bring against you on that planet as you try to arrange safe passage away from there.

Does this take place between episodes 3 and 4? Is Vader hunting you? I wants to know!