Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake - PC and PS5

This was one of Bioware’s first console ports and the UI was awful on PC. That needs a lot of work.

I really hated how PC ports didn’t just have the console interface as an option back then. For example, Mass Effect for PC didn’t have controller support, and Oblivion also didn’t have controller support on PC, even though the controller interface was a massive improvement on mouse/keyboard in that game.

I’m surprised to hear the PC version was poor, since it came out several months after the Xbox version. I’d have thought all that extra time was to design a PC-specific interface.

On the plus side, the PC version didn’t run like, well…

I don’t think anyone is shitting on it.

I mean, I do love the game still, just that certain things that did bug me then, bother me even more today. It’s a good game, but it definitely had flaws.

I didn’t mind the combat system, but the game was way too easy and didn’t require much as far as tactics. And I played through it twice using a different “class” and it didn’t really matter much, you could just use a few of the basic combat moves over and over until the end.

The 4 “planets” are just tiny linear areas. I had the same issue with Dragon Age as far as linearity, but at least the game areas were larger.

And it’s been a while since I played them both (though I did start a play though recently of the first game on tablet), but I seem to remember the sequel improving the combat (difficulty was a bit better) and overall gameplay (more dialogue choices and skill checks).

That’s my main problem with the game nowadays, and I fully accept it’s an artifact of its time. And the main thing I hope they improve on with the remake.

It’s a remake, not a sequel. Don’t expect a whole new game.

Also, from what I understand, it’s a “console launch exclusive” (ie, timed) for PS5. Assuming that means coming to Xbox at some point.

Yes, after a year probably.

They should make a Pazaak RPG.

Go around the galaxy challenging other star systems’ champions, get into the occasional cantina brawl (sore losers!), get into gambling debt with a Hutt so you have bounty hunters on your trail.

Oh boy I hope I can play the Towers of Hanoi puzzle again

How about we throw in some haptic feedback on the triggers, 70 bucks whaddaya say?

Don’t forget microtransactions!

None of the Mass Effect games had controller support on PC. A truly bizarre choice, only recently officially remedied by the remaster.

Loved both KOTOR and KOTOR2, so if they upgrade the gameplay, this may be one of the very, very rare games that I get on preorder. The mid-story twist is awesome, and HK-47 remains one of the best and most iconic NPCs ever.

The lore/world-building of the games were kind of rubbish, but I guess that is pretty consistent for Star Wars in general.

Yeah, I adored both games. In replays, it’s very clear how the limitations of technology back then hinder the games when compared to more recent offerings; so many corridors, empty cities, repetitive animations and battles. But the games also were able to capture the same spirit which made the Star Wars universe appealing to me. If a remaster will not just bring up the resolution but also add gameplay which simply couldn’t be there back in the day, I’ll call the devs heroes. If it’s just a graphics update with some bug fixes and the cut content tacked on then I’ll be quite disappointed.

I wouldn’t pay over $15 for a remake of any game, ever. But that’s just me and obviously many people would do so.

Too many remakes of some what recent games recently.

The only remake that makes complete sense is System Shock.

Maybe too recent for you but there are a lot of people that haven’t played these games yet and are put off by the outdated graphics and gameplay. If a game has an interesting story to tell, why not spruce up everything else about it so newcomers can also enjoy it?

KOTOR is 18 years old.

I already wrote that I tried to replay it two years ago. It was enough of a slog that I tapped out midway through. I loved the game when it first came out and I have fond memories of it, but playing it now is just too gnarly. As @stusser noted, it has the really ugly early 2000’s 3D look. The UI sucks. The inventory system sucks. It just hasn’t aged well.