Star Wars Movies Post Episode IX Thread

We have one for Marvel so it makes sense to have a general Star Wars thread as well.

Here’s some news about what might be next. If I were friends with Watiti, I’d suggest he graciously decline this offer. I don’t think Kathleen Kennedy will give him as much freedom with Star Wars as Feige gave him with Marvel.

Lest we forget his old comment when someone suggested that he should helm a Star Wars film. :v

I like that idea. Maybe the jokes would have been better in the trilogy.

I wonder if there’s some way to contractually guarantee that he wouldn’t get kicked off his own film. I have no idea how these things work.

I love Taika Waititi and I think he would make a great Star Wars film. Then again, I also love Lord & Miller, and look what happened there…

Taika Waititi at the helm of a SW trilogy is one of the few director’s choices they could make that would actually make me interested in watching more Star Wars. At least it would be guaranteed to be fun.

Beyond that, though I hope that when they do come back, they set this in a period far removed from the existing films (old Republic or future Republic doesn’t matter - just keep the established characters out), and with someone that understand what made the original trilogy so unique. It was not - IMO - the effects or the space opera - it was how the universe that Lucas constructed in those films felt lived in. The Millenium Falcon actually looked like a hunk of junk, Solo looked like a Scruffy Nerf-herder, etc. This was something that the prequel trilogy failed to evoke (it’s painfully obvious that many of the scenes are green screen), and the one of the reasons why Lucas’s remaster of the OT actually end up making them look worse than the originals. I feel the new films have the same problem, with the exception - to a certain extent - of Rogue One (the Prison Storm Troopers in the beginning are a nice touch). You just can’t put grime in with a computer, it seems.

Someone interested in actual world-building and a plot that is not a recycling of stuff from the original films, please. Is that too much to ask?

I mean yeah, you can put anything (legal) in a contract, but there’s no way Disney would sign it.

This, of course.

Which also means they should never ever hire JJ again. It is sad how completely unnecessary and extraneous the entire sequel trilogy ended up being.