Star Wars question

I have a stupid question. I suspect the correct answer is “Fuck Star Wars”, but I’m wondering what Princess Leia is the princess of.

Wasn’t the implication in the original movie that she was some sort of royalty who was helping the Rebellion? And didn’t it sort of cause a mess when Lucas decided to make her Luke’s s00per sekrit sister? And didn’t the whole “princess” stuff pretty much fall apart when Lucas redacts it all so that she’s been raised by Senator Jimmy Smitts? So in the world of Star Wars, the daughters of senators are princesses? Or did I miss something?

-Tom

Leia and Luke are the children of Padme and Anakin. Padme was a queen, although of what I don’t quite remember.

According to my wife who still likes Star Wars, she says senator Smitts is a viceroy on Alderaan, therefore Leia’s a princess. The whole silly thing is further explained here.

Yeah, she’s the princess of Alderaan. Which means her title is purely cosmetic about 25 minutes into the first movie, but there ya go.

She is a princess because the hero always needs to have a princess to save.

I think the whole “her mother is an actual queen” was a pure retcon.

And even if not, Leia is not supposed to know who her real mother is. So it’s bullshit on that count too.

Fuck Star Wars, Tom.

Oops, I mean:

“Fuck Star Wars.”

-Tom

How about this retcon Q:

Doesn’t the Expanded Universe crap all say that the Emperor hates non-humans? All the Empire’s armies are humans because he hates the blue-skins, or something?

So, uh… why is he sitting with nothing BUT aliens during his bubble-opera conversation with Anakin in his spare time?

Ok, you know, we all know the answer anyway :).

Fuck Star Wars has become “the greater good” phrase of Qt3.

If I remember correctly, Amidala was elected queen of her planet. go figure.

the entire saga is so completely undemocratic when you think about it. its a case for the divine right of kings. making the force some kind of special bacteria that’s passed down genetically was the worst possible thing lucas could have come up with.

There was a tounge-in-cheek article on one of the more prominant conserative magazine sites that said essentially “make me the Empire”, saying things like you said above, that the Republic was an undemocratic royalist plutocracy led by god-like bloodlines, where the Empire let people rise to the front on merit alone. Aside from, as he chuckled, the occasional exploded planet. Can’t remember where though…

The Case for the Empire by Jonathan Last.

I now know why the Bush administration operates the way it does. ;-)

Maybe, but I don’t understand why that came as such a shock to people with Episode I. It seems pretty clear in the original movies that Luke is strong in the Force because his father was a Jedi. It’s never even slightly hinted at that just anyone can learn to use it.

FUCK STAR WARS.

BTW, if you haven’t seen Ep 1 with RiffTrax I highly recommend it.

Darth Sidious was welcome to hate non-humans as much as he liked, but Chancellor Palpatine had to get along with everyone, at least until he had consolidated his power to the point that nobody could touch him.

And yes, Leia’s royal title comes via her adopted family, not Padme, as there is no hereditary monarchy on Naboo. She keeps her royal title after the destruction of Alderaan out of respect for the culture lost to the Death Star.

Fuck the haters. :)

“We’re an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major…”

Shut up! I order you to shut up!

“Be quiet!”

Leia was princess of both jack and shit, and jack left town.