Star Wars: The Acolyte - High Republic mystery/thriller and the Squid Game star

Oh, apologies. I need to finish the show. I’ve read all the books, but I stalled on the season of the show where they go to the colony, which is also my least favorite book

Oh wow, the TV show got to that book? That was my favorite book in the series. I just felt odd watching a TV series when I’ve already read the books, so I haven’t looked at it yet.

Yep, watched The Expanse, and you’re right about it. Slipped my mind!

Yeah, I believe the show got up to the time jump then stopped.

Yeah I saw TLJ in theaters and that didn’t bother me at all; I was surprised it became an issue. There’s plenty of gravity within the bombers (a thing falls from one deck to another in that scene) to get the bombs moving, and the bombs could also be invisibly propelled by magnets. Newtonian physics can handle the rest of the trip unless somebody knows about some other force acting upon them.

The fire in Acolyte looked like it was generated by the machines they use to train people on fire extinguishers. That said, if the plot/characterization is good I’ll overlook a bad visual effect.

I’m enjoying this so far. Better pacing than Asoka.

For what it’s worth, I thought the TLJ and RotS had awful script and story. Two episodes in and this is already more coherent and interesting.

My issues with Jedi-ism as a coherent philosophy aside, I don’t exactly buy this as a reason to discard the show. Jedi opponents shouldn’t fight clean, and that can provide dramatic tension for Jedi protagonists; the “good guys” have to either figure out a way to win within their value set or compromise their values. That isn’t all that different from any other fiction where “the bad guys will stop at nothing.”

I think “politely asking them to poison themselves” is only useful in this one specific circumstance.

I don’t hate this show, but I don’t love it either. It feels like Star Wars done by the CW, where most of the main characters are A Diverse Cast of Conventionally Attractive Young Adults and the production quality isn’t the highest.

This or some sort of tractor/repulser beam or field is what I always assumed. Of course that still means you could’ve just done that out the front of the ship and probably been better off, but it’s Star Wars, so it’s always going to have it’s WW2isms.

Absolutely. My latter comment in that spoiler section was me being snarky and not an actual complaint. The former, though, I stand behind. If it was that easy to kill Jedi than they’d do it all the time. Distract distract distract. I don’t buy it. It’s sloppy and written more because it was easy than anything else, imo.

Agreed. I think TLJ is only good in parts; I just didn’t have a huge problem with the bombs. I understood why they did what they did, and the movie has much more important things to complain about.

I can accept the fire as the rule of cool; but how did it store all that extinguisher? Does it always have it, presumably compressed in a high pressure chamber, and doesn’t that make it heavier, including the necessary container? Does it have any other liquid?
Ah, whatever, SW is mostly drama first. So, why is a clearly under-leveled, incompetent assassin - if you can leave through the ceiling, why not enter through it?) trying to kill four jedi? Did the master read the plot and knows they’ll hold back? What’s the point of giving a padawan to a teacher stuck on a school?

I don’t know, it’s seems just another attempt where stuff happens because the plot beats demand it. I really like the pragmatic low key usage of the force to repel things, though.

I watched the third episode. I’m glad we’re exploring a bit more of what it meant to regular people when Jedi showed up and just snatched your kid up to never return. That always struck me as crazy.

The Jedi were doing the law of surprise before it was cool.

Also, it looks like we’re going to see the events play out from other perspectives. None of her POV covered why a Jedi would later commit suicide.

I don’t expect The Acolyte or any Disney Star Wars media to seriously explore what it really means for Jedi to show up and snatch your child away forever…

I feel the one mom was right in that Osha (and any other 4 to 8-yr-old kid being tested by the Jedi) would have no real idea of what they’re signing up for by agreeing to join the Jedi. Most backwater planet kids are going to be super jazzed about going on a spaceship ride and any child in general will be up for learning how to wield a lightsaber and have cool powers. But what is that first night away from home like? A week later? A month? How about when cool Jedi power classes turn into unending sessions of meditation or physically punishing carry-Yoda-in-a-backpack runs? We don’t let children make lifechanging decisions for themselves because kids don’t have the maturity to think long-term or weigh consequences.

And the Jedi should know this. But Lucas set it up this way because he knows the fantasy of going away to take superhero classes instead of the drudgery of normal life sounds awesome to a child’s mind, just like how getting sorted into magical houses based on your personality seems neat and logical to kids. When you examine this stuff from an adult’s eye it falls apart pretty quickly. The Jedi are almost kidnappers in a sense and this episode started to dig into that, but then skipped over that conflict because Disney can’t have their Star Wars brand tarnished by that reality.

I’m not convinced we aren’t going to see more of this. As has been pointed out nothing in the footage shown would have caused a Jedi to drink poison because of what they had done.. Also conjecture I’ve seen has pointed out that none of the witch bodies outside are burned so maybe killed by lightsaber. I’ve been fine with what they’ve shown so far, but if they make the Jedi straight out evil, I’m going to be a bit ticked off.

I get a lot of you want “adult” Star Wars, and I think having some more adult fare like Andor is totally fine. But ultimately the main bulk of Star Wars should be generally fun family-friendly films as it was for the original trilogy, not thought provoking pieces on the nature of good and evil and how it’s all relative and kids shouldn’t have heroes because no one is really good.

Oh, I don’t expect Acolyte to be much more “adult” than what we’ve already seen.

I lament that we’re not going to dive any deeper into what I think is the most messed up bit of Jedi lore, but that’s a me problem. I know Lucas nor Disney never intended for it to be more than a surface-level reading.

But, yes, I fully expect to see more of this flashback stuff since there’s a lot of holes.

The only bit that didn’t really fit if they’re going for a Rashomon-style perspective is that we got a couple of scenes that Osha could never have known about.

That’s not really what I would want out of “an adult take” on Star Wars. I think it’s totally fine for the Rebels to be The Good Guys and the Empire to be The Bad Guys, but I don’t think the Jedi, as depicted in the films Lucas wrote/directed, are The Good Guys. The Jedi really are the best option for a Force-sensitive child to have a safe upbringing that teaches them how to use their power in a responsible way, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only way that could exist or work; there’s a lot left to be desired.

In the prequels, Qui-Gon pulls Anakin from slavery to make him a child soldier for the Republic, but doesn’t make any attempt to free Anakin’s mom beyond “can I win her by gambling on a podrace?”, and then the Order doesn’t permit Anakin to do anything about her (not to mention all the other slaves on Tatooine) while he’s a padawan. She gets sold to a totally different guy, and Anakin has to break the rules in order to get even a moment with her as she’s dying as a kidnapping victim.

In the original trilogy, Obi-Wan and Yoda train Luke as basically a missile to try and kill Darth Vader and the emperor. Luke says, “I can’t kill my own father,” and Obi-Wan says, “Then the emperor has already won.” They don’t even tell him Vader is his dad as he’s leaving for Bespin in TESB, knowing he’s going to directly confront Vader or die trying. They knew the whole time, didn’t mention it, and then when Luke got back to Dagobah in RotJ, told him “you gotta kill your dad or else the Bad Guys win.” That turned out not to be true, but only because Luke saw through the lies of the Jedi and trusted his own judgment.

Those aren’t the sort of values I would want in a galaxy-spanning order of warrior-monks with power over life and death, and I don’t mind if the shows take a critical look at the actual practices and beliefs of the Jedi.

I, uh, thought episode 3 was kind of bad (in terms of writing and execution), but that in itself isn’t super interesting, personal opinion/reaction more than anything else. I am more curious: how did this become a full episode as part of an eight-episode season? This was classic 2004 episode-7-of-23 filler… it hasn’t been more than ten minutes in any of the more modern limited orders. Did they think it was a profoundly excellent example of the form, worth the commitment, and just missed the mark by that much? I totally get why someone might like it more than I did, but there’s still a long way from that to “this is so good and critical that we should spend 12.5% of our season on it”.

I think this is what happens when you have bosses telling you that your streaming series must hit X number of episodes, rather than showrunners choosing whatever number of episodes they think they need to tell their story.