Star Wars: The Clone Wars PS2/Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

I know, I know, “f*ck Star Wars”, but I got suckered in, so I have to complain

Star Wars: The Clone Wars for the PS2…what an utter piece of crap.
First off, it’s the PS2. It’s not a PC. The game runs the same on EVERY MACHINE. That should at least make QA a bit easier. Why then, so many bugs and glitches in the cut-scenes? I know ,they are just “cut-scenes” but they are also part of the game, and I’d at least like to see them work without jumping all around the screen.

Then the game itself. With a whole universe of cool Star Wars stuff, why do they drop me into a “tank” for the first mission and send me off the destroy some power-supply or other. No matter how many wings, tailfins, and spoilers you put on a tank, it is still a tank. Yawn. And a power-supply? Wow, that’s original. Great way to get started.

Other than the box-art being kinda cool, Lucasarts seems to COMPLETELY SUCK again.

On a happier note, I just finished Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance. It was fantastic. Is there anything simliar for the PS2? I’m in withdrawl and “Clone Wars” is like shooting ice water in my veins.

Well, you can blame Lucas for Bounty Hunter, that was an internal title, but Clone Wars was developed over at Paradigm. Shame to hear it wasn’t so hot though…I’d been secretly hoping for a Battlezone sequel.

I’d love one too. So long as it’s nothing like the actual Battlezone sequel.

parawha?

pandemic?

Pandemic.

He picked the right place to bitch about it, at least two people from there are confirmed readers and posters at Qt3.

–Dave

I could have made it worse. It’s really ugly too. My brother got me “Clone Wars” and “Ace Combat 4” for my birthday. To be honest, “Ace combat” is awesome. For $20 it makes “Clone Wars” look like “Skyfox” from my old Atari ST. To be fair, I have not played “Clone Wars” all that much, maybe later levels get better. However, there is something to be said for “first impressions”. It’s the first game since “Namco Museum Vol. 2” for the PSX that made me curse the “no return” policy on games. The current demo disc from Playstation magazine has given me more joy.

Is the Gamecube version better? If so, why? The PS2 might not be the top hardware anymore, but hell, PS2 Star Wars Star Fighter was pretty nice, and that was almost 2 years ago.

If the Pandemic guys are reading this, please explain, why oh way does the PS2 Clone Wars suck? Was it the deadline?

Dynasty Warriors 3 is more of a beat-em-up, but it’s probably one of the closest games you can get right at this moment for the PS2. Might want to rent that first, though.

If you can wait, D&D Heroes from Infogrames, which is scheduled for this Summer I think, looks very similar to Dark Alliance.

I didn’t mind Clone Wars, actually–thought it was a decent title. Certainly could have been better, but it’s a step in the right direction. I’d say about a 70/100.

So it’s akin to actually watching Episode I

With all the light year technology, you’d think a kid couldnt accidentally fly into a space ship and hit its power source thats SITTING IN THE HANGAR.

So it’s akin to actually watching Episode I

With all the light year technology, you’d think a kid couldnt accidentally fly into a space ship and hit its power source thats SITTING IN THE HANGAR.[/quote]

<script>
Anakin (grimacing)- “Whoops!”

He Shoots main reactor, flys out, droid controlship explodes. Droid that Jar Jar binsk is currently farting on stops cold, falls forward at just the right angle so all fan-boys can “shoot their final wad” as they see the “hidden” THX-1138 serial number emblazoned on its back.
</script>

Yeah, that’s exactly what my many years of boyhood dreams about the seemingly detailed and lush Star Wars backstory came down to. “Whoops”. Come to think of it, that’s how I feel about the “Clone Wars” game. “Whoops”. As Mr. Hand would say, “I Like That”.

That sounds like what happend at Pandemic with the game.

“Sir, were not done with QA”. Low paid QA drones insist to game producer.
“Whoops!” replies the game producer.
“There are many bugs, we should not ship it” Pandemic producer tells Lucasarts.
“Whoops!” replies Lucasarts.
“This game is horrible, I want my money back”, I say to this week’s new Fry’s associate.
“Whoops!” says the Fry’s associate, “You broke the seal, you can only exchange for the same title”.
“but they all stuck!” I tell him.
“Whoops!” he replies.

Gamecube was the lead platform for Clone Wars, IIRC. It’s very possible they really screwed up the port to the PS2.

–Dave

Yep, there are Pandemic people here! Not as any kind of official representation, of course, and my opinions don’t reflect corporate policy, etc. etc.

I’m not on the Clone Wars team, and I haven’t actually played it yet (waiting for my copy to get in). If you guys want to post some feedback, I can pass it along to someone, though. Something more constructive and detailed than “I wanted to take it back” would be helpful. ;-)

Those were just my first impressions. I’ll play more tonight and try to be more constructive. However, the game does look like it was rushed out the door. Anyway, the point was not jus tthat “I wanted t otake it back” but that of the 100’s games I’ve purchased, I’ve only ever wanted to return the following:

1. Maurader for the Atari 2600 by Sierra online (1984)
  2. Namco Museum Vol. 2 for the PSX
  3. Star Wars Clone Wars for the PS2

-Steve

Hey Laralyn, you wouldn’t happen to be on a team that’s working on something involving very sudden strikes, would you?

Down one.

I’m at EALA now.

Not that I had anything to do with Clone Wars anyway. I will confirm that the Cube was its lead SKU, however, and downporting to the PS2 is always problematic. For everybody, not Pandemic in particular.

[quote="Kevin PerryNot that I had anything to do with Clone Wars anyway. I will confirm that the Cube was its lead SKU, however, and downporting to the PS2 is always problematic. For everybody, not Pandemic in particular.[/quote]

Does anyone still use Renderware? I thought it was supposed to make things like that a no-brainer.

-Jupe

Hey Laralyn, you wouldn’t happen to be on a team that’s working on something involving very sudden strikes, would you?[/quote]

Nope. Different one. :-)

Does anyone still use Renderware? I thought it was supposed to make things like that a no-brainer.
[/quote]

Middleware gets you part of the way there, but you’ll always have some platform-specific tech in your game…and porting down to a less capable platform usually means mucho rough edges for that special stuff.

Down one.

I’m at EALA now.

Jeez Kevin…are you on the two month plan everywhere you go these days? :)

Convince EA to make that Shadow Watch sequel did you? ;)

–Dave

Hey now. I was at Pandemic nearly a year, and with Red Storm nearly five before that.

That makes me a rock of stability in this industry.

And yes, you’ve forced it out of me. EA signed me to put 60 people at my beck and call to do the sequel to Shadow Watch. Who knows, maybe we can make it up to 800x600 this time.

But I’ll let Bub break the story.