Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

I saw this today with my 19 and 17 year olds.

I just can’t get past the plot holes. Not the plot twists per say those were fine. I don’t demand much usually but the logical flaws in this movie are jaw dropping awful. Even if it was back in 1977 and I was 13 again, I would hope I wouldn’t be able to shrug this off because of the laser beam eye candy. Guess I’ll go to the spoiler thread to really complain. It’s not a terrible movie and there are some decent moments but what a wasted opportunity.

Just saw this with my 13 and 10 year old.

I’ve never been a huge fan of star wars but enjoyed the original trilogy. The force awakens was a disappointment to me due to the plot regurgitation, the last Jedi was a breath of fresh air in this respect and I really enjoyed it.

I glimpsed into the spoiler thread and saw numerous individuals picking it apart, probably people who are much bigger star wars fans than me. I will say though for someone who likes a decent science fiction space drama then I would recommend this to you and to watch on a big screen.

I’ve never been a huge fan of star wars but enjoyed the original trilogy. The force awakens was a disappointment to me due to the plot regurgitation, the last Jedi was a breath of fresh air in this respect and I really enjoyed it.
I glimpsed into the spoiler thread and saw numerous individuals picking it apart, probably people who are much bigger star wars fans than me. I will say though for someone who likes a decent science fiction space drama then I would recommend this to you and to watch on a big screen.

Yes, this is also my experience. I was relieved and delighted that the The Force Awakens wasn’t the hot mess that the prequels were, but it did seem to borrow heavily from Episode IV.

My son and I were elated coming out of The Last Jedi. It was rich with story and character arcs. I hadn’t tried to build my own “head canon” around what would happen after The Force Awakens, and so I wasn’t disappointed that The Last Jedi diverged into interesting places. I think this is my favourite Star Wars movie.

I loved it. Thematically rich, not just empthy nostalgia and fan wank, but character arcs! New stuff! Awesome spoiler moments! This is the sequel I was looking for.

Hm, my prediction is there will be fan backlash to this movie (user ratings already seem to be going this way) and that Rian Johnson might not be in the future of this franchise.
This movie really didn’t go anywhere. It had some some “surprise!” parts but nothing really connected or felt earned and a lot of the movie (TFA had that problem too) is in direct contradiction to what was established in the old trilogy (the Luke here just doesn’t match the person we knew).

The Luke I knew was a young man who found his place and powers. The man they showed is an old man… and by default could easily be different. People change over the decades, over the years.

Were you expecting all characters to just be the same same but older, like no change?

Removed spoiler, wrong thread!

I had said that Luke did something VERY out of character.

[quote=“stusser, post:368, topic:128162, full:true”]
Not at all, but for Luke to consider murdering his nephew in cold blood as he slept, that seems wildly out of character.
[/quote]

not the spoiler thread.

Oh please, don’t give me that as an excuse. If you want to show that Luke has CHANGED then do that but this is certainly not what happened in the movie and would be in any case a major derail of this new trilogy because then it’s suddenly again about Luke and not the new characters.
There is just no depth to this “change”, Luke just suddenly acts different than you’d expect from the person we got to know in the previous movies.
I wouldn’t even have a problem with a changed Luke if done properly but this was just lazy and there wasn’t even any emtional impact gained from it, it just fell flat.

That’s not unrealistic at all. I could go down a list of a dozen people I know who are very different now than when they were younger. It’s realistic, especially if key events happen. And it’s not an excuse, it’s a different POV than yours.

If they had shown how he reached that point organically, then I could have bought it. But they didn’t, so it seemed as abrupt as Anakin slaughtering the padawans.

I will admit I didn’t like Anakin’s transformation at all, but that was what, months, days… hours? Luke’s was decades. The last time we saw him he was enjoying singing ewoks. We’re talking decades here. It’s already 2.5 hours long. How much of a the past did everyone expect them to go into… if they wanted to start the movie right after the original trilogy, I assume they would have… or maybe they should have to make it easier for fans who developed these ideas with what happened afterward to transition to something else.

I did not spend days or years imagining what happened after the end of any of these Star Wars movies. I just heard rumors about books.

I mean there is more than a touch of people being upset about Like not having the life he was given in the EU books. There was this way things played out that was very different, and people are unhappy at just how different this movie takes that.

And I simply do not care. People need to let go of preconceived notions on how the interregnum should have gone.

I’m disgusted about this name change for the social media generation. Vapid millenials ruin everything.

Why do you bring in RL examples? Who cares (do these people have interesting movies about them)? Of course people can change but I’m talking about a movie and how to build an interesting and engaging story. Where does Luke’s change come from? What does it achieve in the story? What themes are behind it? How does it affect the relationship to others? And so on.
The answers are left open to a large extent and not satisfying. Not because they conflict with my own notion of Luke but because they don’t build anything as replacement. I mean who is this “new” Luke (and let’s be honest, it’s not like they even dared to go all the way, it’s just a muddied mess)?

There is too much potential to hit spoilers here but… it’s not about Luke. That’s the past. This is a transition and I think if all the questions are about Luke instead of Rey, that’s probably one of the sources of frustration. If they wanted to follow Luke… or Han or any of them all the way, they could have started the story sooner; they didn’t.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
(Deep breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Dear lord. People need to relax a bit or focus this kind of energy into stuff that matters.

(Ahem)