Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

Not to go all tangent (ha ha, too late) but spoilers are a touchy subject, I get that. I’m not looking to ruin anyone’s fun by giving away information about a movie or game or whatever. But my sensitivity for spoilers is so way down compared to most other folks (or maybe the really sensitive ones are just so loud about it it feels that way, I don’t know) that I figure I may as well take the path of least resistance, be extra cautious. I feel a little silly, but whattayagonnado.

My sympathy for spoilers ends with official information. If the studio releases something, it’s not my fault if you consider that a spoiler. That’s the spoilerphobe’s issue. If you’re that sensitive about it, you shouldn’t be reading a thread about a movie months before release.

Now information someone leaks or pictures taken during filming by crew or bystanders? I can see someone legitimately getting hot about that. I still think it’s unwise to go into a non-official article or forum thread months before the movie releases, but I can at least accept that it sucks.

I just can’t take that the title of the movie.

You have been warned,

Means ‘Jedi’ in the plural sense is any sort of spoiler. It is in the title! Fuck! The Ghostbusters fight ghosts? SPOILER. The weirdness of English as a language is why we would even possibly to be in the dark on this one, vs languages like Spanish or German. I think it is far more interesting that other languages give more information about words than English, and I think this is a neat instance of that.

Josh Gad is currently shooting Murder on the Orient Express with Daisy Ridley and has been posting goofy little videos where he tries to convince Daisy to answer Star Wars questions.

They’re “medium funny”, which makes sense coming from Josh Gad, but I liked the most recent one enough to share it. (There are no actual spoilers, of course)

The last two seconds of that is epic.

I really nice and touching tribute video released by Lucasfilm on Carrie Fischer for the start of Star Wars Celebration.

Been following a little bit of the news from someone on twitter. Sounds like there will be a Last Jedi trailer at the Last Jedi panel tomorrow, but I’m unclear if that’s just for the panel, or if the trailer will actually be released. Any idea?

That was really nice and touching. Compelled me to pull the trigger on the Force Awakens CE bluray, even though I’m of mixed feelings about the movie - I just always want them accessible.

I find it really sad how poorly Carrie Fisher aged. She looked 10 years older than she was when she died. Presumably it was due to her substance abuse, but maybe due to other health issues that ultimately led to her premature death. As a kid, 60 seemed so old, but as someone in middle age now, it seems so young - it was the age when Harrison Ford still seemed so vibrant, doing things like K-19 and (just a few years before) Air Force One. But Carrie seemed so tired and spent, less articulate, and yet still so intelligent and so much more to offer. It’s just so sad, so I found this tribute so touching.

Part of me wants Luke to be a crazy incoherent old man hermit of a Jedi with zero redeeming qualities, having suffered prolonged severe mental health issues, basically an Obi Wan gone gone…but I don’t think Star Wars will go there.

I always thought the prequels were a disappointing derail, as the story was always about Luke, so I was bummed that he wasn’t in Force Awakens although I could understand JJ’s reasons why – just made me wish that these 7-9 episodes had occurred around the time of Wing Commander 3-4 (amazingly, 22 years ago now) when they could have focused entirely on the original players without feeling like Space Cowboys.

But Hamill has obviously had a fun career for gaming/comic fans, and Luke is still near and dear, so I hope that he is neither killed off nor marginalized. Part of me wants him to have succumbed to the dark side in order to be more a part of the series and not just a short-term yoda, but what I would most prefer is for him to be a complete badass who saves the day in the end of episode 9, with help from the younger generation. Hamill really represents the series to me, more than anyone, and the child in me didn’t understand why he didn’t go on to have a stellar movie career, so I really would like him to get his due in the series that was really focused upon him, at least until the middle of Empire.

One of the reasons I love Empire Strikes Back so much is the fact that it does still focus on Luke learning the force and trying to save the day, and it has the great reveal of the series, but it also evolves beyond Luke and makes the stories of Han and Leia as important and interesting, while introducing some tension between those themes. It would be amazing if Last Jedi similarly gave Luke a substantial role as a major, impactful player, without diminishing the contributions of the new characters introduced in Force Awakens. But it really feels like they are going to Ben/Yoda him and maybe kill him off here. I wonder if Carrie Fisher dying ultimately had any impact on things like that - it’ll be interesting to hear once the series is completed.

I agree with your sentiments for the most part, but I would be totally against Luke going Darkside. This to me would completely undermined everything in Jedi. (shorthand for Return of the Jedi still right?)

"Never. [throws lightsaber away] I’ll never turn to the Darkside"
-Luke, Return of the Jedi

I would HATE it. HATE IT! But I also wouldn’t care for another Old Ben type character. He’s on an island by himself, succumb to the failure over Kylo, I’m hopeful for something more complex than just another sage old man type character. Using him as a kill-off character would also be stupid and turn the new movies towards just killing off old characters, Han, Luke, whose next! Blah!

Not much given away in the trailer, although was pleased to see the glimpse of a space battle and what looked like a new version of the Nebulon B frigates.

The first teaser is never that great.

I thought that was pretty awesome!

Okay who do you all hear delivering the last line? Is it Luke or is it Kylo Ren? Because the entire world says Luke, and I disagree.

That little hint of Rey’s Theme made me smile.

Nah, I’m excited for this. And the music cues were good.

I absolutely hear Mark Hammil in that line. The slight rhasp, more from the back of the throat and less nasally than Adam Driver who at once has a deeper tone, yet shallower intonation.

Gah let me find my headphones.

Yeah it’s Luke. Blame my tinny speakers.

You can actually see him saying it. Well, “to end”, anyway.