Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

The space gas is its biggest sin. Throw an Interdictor class Star Destroyer in there, and problem solved. They’re even still cannon, so that was a complete unforced error.

100% agree, I thought that’s what they were doing at first.

Bravo, Sir! I believe there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to such issues.

So we’re finally watching this. It’s awful and makes no sense.

Just finished it. The Apple was both more enjoyable and made more sense than this shitpile of a movie.

Now you’ve done it, you’re going to summon the hordes of frothing defenders who will harangue you about your lack of understanding of the director’s vision etc.

I think if it had gone all Waititi and Space Leia blew up the entire First Order fleet I would have enjoyed it more.

???

If even Brian, the most positive person I have ever met online, disliked/loathed this movie…there really is no hope for it.

That’s the one, yeah.

Believe me, I had low expectations going in, due to how bland The Force Awakens was, and it even sunk below those.

Thank goodness the folks making the cartoons are gonna make more. That’s the best Star Wars stuff around, currently.

Did this LONG analysis by Film Crit Hulk get brought up in the thread already? I searched and didn’t find it, but apologies if it’s already been hashed over:

The only quibble I have with the entire article is that, at one point, he used “illicit” when he should have used “elicit”. Everything else I agree with.

While I miss his old ALL-CAPS gimmick, this new style is easier to read. Speaking of gimmicks, I wonder when Film Crit Hulk will find the courage to drop his online persona, just as critic Drew McWeeny lost his “Ain’t It Cool News” Moriarty moniker.

(Quite a few typos, actually–lots of verbs in the wrong form and stuff. He must edit the composition of his sentences a lot and then fail to button them up.)

Much better writing than what I would expect from someone with Hulk in their name. :D

thatsthejoke.jpg

Is this also better than Last Jedi in your opinion? :)

Are you kidding? Spock’s Brain is 1,000,000,000x better than The Last Jedi.

I actually feel for Johnson a bit. (I went to film school with him 22 years ago so we ARE TOTALLY BEST BUDS.) The giganto paycheck takes the sting out but it’s almost an impossible gig. Not only do you have to do something “different-but-the-same-but-brilliant” in the Star Wars mode but you have to do it having been handed all this legacy junk from the Abrams film, including a completely incoherent setup (where the heck did the First Order come from? Why are the guys who won the civil war a generation ago still just scrappy little rebels? etc.) and at least one completely pointless character (Finn).

Yeah, he was totally handed a shit sandwich and asked to make it edible. I don’t envy him.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Resistance cartoon that hopefully explains all the rest of your post, because that has me scratching my head as well.

I mean there are satisfactory answers to those things. It’s just a shame the movies seem uninterested in showing them.

Supposedly one of the deleted scenes from TFA was the Republic Senate debating what to do about the First Order. And how they were divided on how serious a threat they were, and the appropriate response (with the implication some were on the take?). Ergo there were some who funneled money, in secret, to Leia and others to combat them.

Or how the FO was some mix of ex Imperials, with secret resources stashed by the emperor outside the borders for just such a reason, and also funded by outside groups looking to splinter the republic so they could swoop in.

I believe that but was from some of the books, but I can’t be bothered to look it up right now.

Anyhow those would fix a lot of the issues. It would make sense for the forces, and their composition. Too bad the movies ignore all that.

Gotta admit, one thing I kinda like about the prequels is that Lucas actually bothered to show some of the politics.