Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

This sorry ass incarnation of Star Wars franchise does not deserve her.

Although at least there is now one reason why I would want to watch it.

I miss The Americans.

Well yeah … they were rebels then. They weren’t rebels anymore… they won.

I have no problem with the Poe / Holdo arc except for Holdo’s plan fundamentally being as bad as Poe’s, really, and so undercutting the theme they were trying for. We’re i in charge in the same situation i’d be throwing resources at Poe’s long shot plan than the “run to a cave and pray social media rescues us” plan tbh.

But the narrative of Poe not getting it and going too far is fine.

I thought the Resistance was supposed to be an unofficial guerilla force fighting the First Order because the New Republic couldn’t or wouldn’t engage the baddies openly.

That’s great, but The Force Awakens threw all its weight behind whackamoling those original trilogy nostalgia buttons, so for all practical purposes, they’re still the rebellion.

You won’t see me claiming these are perfect movies for a reason.

They had an entire star system, how many planets, not hidden at all, under their wing? They certainly didn’t give much time to adjust to the idea, but they were there and populated and basically a functioning system. They weren’t rebels hiding in caves.

Leia, Poe, etc, were the Resistance. The planets destroyed by Starkiller were the Republic.

Well sure but the Resistance was a military fleet, not just a couple of rebels in a cave. A lot of Star Wars is told from the perspective of a small group of heroes. This last movie still had that but they were inside an organized fleet. I mean the First Order didn’t have control of everything or they wouldn’t have to blow up a bunch planets to get control.

Did I miss something. I got the impression the First Order knew exactly where they were… and they weren’t really hiding so much as going out and thwarting First Order plans that the New Republic didn’t take seriously as a threat.

The First Order didn’t know where they were at the start of TFA, they find out during the movie…

Okay. So they were hiding from the First Order. I could have easily forgotten that. I just got the impression this was a standing army, like they’re not a shake n bake formed during the movie rebellion sort of thing.

I’m still fine with the interpretation that Holdo didn’t need to tell Poe anything due to military discipline. After all, he was just demoted and even guerrilla groups have a hierarchy. I just don’t think the Resistance was a formal standing army of the revitalized Republic.

Well a large portion of them were too young to be in the last war. The whole thing wasn’t just led by the aging rebels right? I mean I assume some of them came from the military and some obviously didn’t.

I do wish they had spent more time talking about the state of the universe before blowing up a chunk of it. I suppose I could go run to some wiki to get that.

Because I was under the mistaken idea that this trilogy was going to be the farewell song to my heroes, the passing of the torch, I didn’t realize the torch had been dropped and this trilogy was about the new generation picking it up from where the previous one had fumbled it. :D

It’s not an unreasonable expection, IMO. TFA leads out the trilogy by setting this kind of expectation by sticking close to the original story beats - too much IMO. Which makes it all the more jarring when TLJ decides to subvert pretty much every expectation built up in the first one.

The thing is - while I love the new characters and their character arcs (I’m not sold on Finn’s arc, but I can see what they were going for with it - and I liked Holdo-Poe) - there is no way that these new characters are ever going to mean as much to me as the characters I grew up with. TLJ doesn’t ruin my childhood - and I don’t really understand people who complain about that - but you can’t write about characters that people have grown up with - without upsetting people. And TLJ basically goes for maximum upset.

Film Crit Hulk mentions “You never want to meet your heroes” a couple of times in that piece. There’s a corollary to that: Few people want to see their heroes get torn down and grow old and bitter. Going that route is certainly brave and either inspired… or incredibly dumb.

There’s a reason most long-running series (and comics) deal with the illusion of change without ever really changing anything, though. To me, new Star Wars wants to have its cake and eat it too - it wants to burn the past (as Kylo eloquently argues) - while still banking on people’s nostalgia for that past to earn money. I’m not convinced it’s going to work in the long term, but I guess we’ll find out when the last movie comes out (and especially the next one after that). I don’t envy whoever ends up directing Episode IX, because it desperately needs to stick the landing;

J.J. Abrams is directing.

Yeah.

Here’s the official blurb:

A small, secretive private military force, the Resistance was founded by rebel hero Leia Organa to monitor the actions of the First Order. Most New Republic power brokers tolerate the Resistance while regarding Organa and her fighters as dead-enders with an unfortunate fixation on the past. Organa’s cash-strapped movement relies on credits, ships and equipment quietly funneled to it from the few senators who share her concerns. Resistance starfighters destroyed Starkiller Base, but the First Order’s retaliatory attack on D’Qar reduced its forces to a handful of brave freedom fighters.

Okay so they are calling it a military, and they called the Rebel Alliance something a little different although they also had an army(s).

I think they want the two groups to be different , structurally and how they formed but there is overlap for sure in addition to some leaders having been in both.

Cripes. Rebellion : Resistance :: toMAYto : toMAHto. What point are you trying to make?

I think the Resistance had a fair amount of structure to it. Am I offending you or something talking about it?

Yep - doesnt exactly fill one eith confidence. But who knows anymore with these films (i.e., who will do the final cut)

That was my take, this (admittedly under-developed concept) is an all-volunteer force of true believers who don’t even have the official support of their home planets. And they are down to 3 ships, that’s it, and they are being pursued by a force that can easily kill them once the distance closes.

Soldiers with a lot fewer disadvantages have historically mutinied or deserted, and the people in charge should have known that. Actually, they did, since they had a girl with a stun-gun keeping people from deserting. Who then deserted. Competence was not Holdo’s strong suit, but the film was loath to admit it.