Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

Well, this is the somewhat clownish and overblown First Order, not the grimly professional Empire.

Will still probably buy the Lego version.

I caught this on Youtube, how Mark Hamill doesn’t seem to really like the new trilogy.

Luke’s probably gonna die in this movie. I guess the Return of the Jedi was just a joke!

I haven’t watched the entire video, but when it showed the soundbite of him talking about how he fundamentally disagreed with Rian’s take on Luke for Episode VIII but not the full answer with how his initial impression was wrong and he’s shifted since then, I got the impression that the video seems pretty one-sided and selective. The title of the video doesn’t really help its case either.

If you watch the whole thing, you can tell Hamill is disappointed, he’s just being passive aggressive about it.

Also, do you guys really like the new direction rumors of there being a Grey Jedi force?!? I don’t like it. Hopefully, I’m wrong and Last Jedi rocks.

All that is really disturbing. I hope it’s a fake out and Hamill is covering for the fact that Luke, like his father, was seduced by the dark side eventually, and is actually Snoke.

I think he’s upset that he isn’t the star anymore.

Me too. It’s a shame they didn’t do a trilogy in the mid-late 90s instead of the prequels, and then these belated follow-ups wouldn’t seem like such a burn for people primarily interested in the original characters. But it’s not as if they had a choice with the original cast in its 60s or 70s (and clearly fragile, as fate sadly showed).

Between the porgs and the new evil droid, BB-9E, I don’t even know what’s going on.

I’ll tell you what’s going on:

Disney just pre-made another $4b in adorable plushie sales.

My son LOVES BB-8

Hell yeah I’m getting him one.

My son got me a BB8 tshirt for Father’s Day and I can’t go twenty feet without a kid telling me how awesome it is. They’ve got a goldmine there.

Sphero already has a new Black BB-9E version set for release on Friday.

All the Last Jedi toys are dropping on Force Friday.

I think it’s a bit less petty than that (though served with a generous side of pettiness.) He probably feels he has more ownership of the character than anyone else (save Lucas) and so he chafes when a couple of studio-appointed newcomers to the series show up and tell him that his character was a failure after all, and hid on an island while his friends died, etc.

Probably doesn’t help that Rian Johnson is more of a high concept director than a sentimental one, etc.

I didn’t listen to all of Mark Hamill’s complaints, but he seemed to have some good story revisions that would have made Force Awakens a better movie, while still having it focus on Rey and the new cast:

For instance, having Luke show up in the snow fight as the one who force-pulled the lightsaber away from Ren, and then defeated Ren – it would have gotten Luke involved when his friends desperately needed him (consistent with Empire Strikes Back), potentially given him at least a brief Han reunion (seems a real misstep that it didn’t happen, unless Luke has gone to the Dark Side), and provided for the defeat of Ren in a more plausible way without having to Mary Sue the character of Rey - giving her more room to grow in power/train in the force next movie. Would have solved a lot of problems with Force Awakens, and been more satisfying to fans, without compromising any of their plans for the new series…unless Luke is actually now evil.

At this point, the best result would be if they’re all evil and some new character has to kill them all in Episode 9.

“It’s time for the Jedi to end.”

So stupid.

Not that his opinion matters more than anyone else’s, but how can folks take that Hamill video seriously? It was clearly edited to show his intentionally overdramatic hot takes before he continued on more positively, but those bits were edited out. The whole thing had a tongue in cheek vibe as if the editor was winking at the audience knowing he was just putting everyone on with well timed edits.

New interview with Hamill.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/14458619/story.html

AP: Did this feel like a different Luke to you? It sounds as though this is a darker version of the character that may be unfamiliar to fans and even to you.

Hamill: Absolutely. Luke changed, I think, more than the other characters in the original trilogy, from callow farm boy to a Jedi in training to finally a Jedi master. What you’re talking about is what really fascinated me. Between “Return of the Jedi” and “Force Awakens,” there’s just decades of history that’s unknown. So I was wondering how they’re going to handle all this. Now, obviously, with “Force Awakens,” J.J. (Abrams) had a full plate. It was inevitable that they would push me down the line. I was sorry I wasn’t able to work with any of the original actors again. But it’s not about us anymore. In this new one, I was saying to Rian Johnson: I need to know my backstory. It was kind of unclear. You read where he is now and what he’s doing now and sort of have to fill in the blanks for yourself. So I did do a backstory myself. It’s not about Luke anymore, so it’s not really important. But I had to make sense of it for myself. What Rian came up with, I was stunned.

Keep in mind that Hamill was a fan of the EU along with the rest of Star Wars and comic nerdom for the past decades. He kept up with the story of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and his nephew and nieces in the books and comics just like everyone else. Imagine how jarring that was for him when Disney made all of that non-canon, wiped the slate clean, and told him that Luke became a bitter hermit instead? I can totally understand why his initial reaction wasn’t to be thrilled.

I think now that he’s had time to adjust and come to grips with it, he’s realized how cool it is to be playing Luke again in a real Star Wars movie. Seeing the positive buzz from fans has probably helped him a lot.

I still get fiction-whiplash from it all. I mean I barely scraped the EU surface, but to go from decades of busy, plot-rich, character-stuffed action-adventure to, well, basically “We won, got complacent, and let the Empire come back, while Luke tried and failed to train some Jedi” wasn’t the easiest thing in the world for me :(. I can’t imagine what it might be like for Hamil if he actually was steeped in all that lore and the actor of the character perhaps most affected by it.