Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

Right? Harrison Ford was jazzed about Han’s new direction because he finally got what he wanted Han to do way back in Return of the Jedi, plus he hasn’t kept up withe the EU stuff at all. Carrie Fisher was apparently aware of the general direction of Leia’s arc in the EU, but she didn’t keep tabs on it and her character stayed pretty much the same badass as before. Luke though? Man, that character’s story changed a ton. If you were invested in his EU development, then finding out that he went to go hide in a cave for twenty years is kid of a bummer.

I mean if my character had hooked up with Mara Jade repeatedly, and then Disney told me that never happened, I’d be pretty upset.

He’s only been in hiding since the fall of his academy, right? My impression was that it’s only been a few years since that happened.

Yeah I think they said it’s been like five years or something. Of course who knows how long STAR WARS years are. Well, I’m sure someone does.

It’s not really clear how long Luke was hiding. Rey was born in 15 ABY, which was 11 years after Return of the Jedi. At some point before she was ten, she was left on Jakku. (She finds a flight helmet while scavenging as a ten-year-old.) Force Awakens is set 30 years after Jedi, so I’d say Knights of Ren must’ve destroyed Luke’s school more than a decade before the movie.

Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group when asked if the Ren attack on Luke’s school was “more recent than 14/15 years ago” said it was, but declined to get more specific than that.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/679440221725851649

So, I’ll go with 10-12 years in exile.

Based on what we actually know (as opposed to spoilers/speculation) there’s not any connection between those two timelines. What happened when to Rey doesn’t tell us anything about Luke.

Sure. But I’m going to go ahead and assume I’m right because I’ll be very surprised if Rey is just some orphan nobody.

That said, regardless of whether it’s 10 years or five years in exile, I doubt anyone thought Luke would turn out to be an island cave hermit 30 years after the fall of the Empire.

Becoming hermits is literally all we’ve seen Jedi do in their old age.

I like Jedi who didn’t lose a galactic war.

Here’s commander SNOKE’s MEGA-SUPER-DUPER-SPACESHIP!

DA SUPREMACY!

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-Sphero-App-Snoke-Mega-Star-Destroyer-Supremacy.jpg

the more i find out about this movie… seems like bad fanfiction.

Just friggin’ call it the Supremacy-class. It’s right there, so use it. Instead, someone got paid to “think” up the name Mega.

I hate everything.

Just imagine when they’re on Episode 11 in a few years.

The super-duper-gigantor class Star Destroyer is the biggest ever at 1 million KM long!

So lame that the First Order is made menacing by taking everything from the Empire and gigantifying it.

You think the Death Star was big?! I laugh at your moon-sized battle station!

Seriously, that’s my 6 year old’s approach to story continuation - - now here comes a bigger bad guy!

The name is probably coming from the more department. I have some faith that Rian Johnson can do better than a rehash of the original, and then quickly back to status quo in ep 9.

What happens if you take a 1 million KM long Star Destroyer and connect it to a switch 1 million KM away, and then you push the Star Destroyer, how long will it take the switch to get pressed?

About 12 parsecs.

60km eh? That’s big. Puts it on the “huge” comparison chart.

Oh and the text on the entry for Mega says length 60km, not width…

More Episode IX news: Colin Trevorrow is out.

“Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”

I hope they give it to Taylor Sheridan.

I don’t think David Lynch is busy these days.

I’m pretty sure that Kathleen Kennedy would fire him before the ink even dried on his signature, but I’d watch a David Lynch Star Wars movie.

It would probably be awful, but I’d watch it.