Star Wars the Old Republic

So far http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-Alliance-ebook/dp/B00513H3YC/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2 is a pretty good tie into ToR and I am really enjoying my self.

I will never be able to hold my head high in the books thread after admitting this but I’ve read all of these don’tlookatme and Deceived is the least bad by a small margin. If Fatal Alliance were any more clearly a SWTOR tie-in the author would mention which hotbar abilities the characters were using.

Karen Traviss is a legitimately good sci-fi author, who also just appears to like writing in existing universes (including Star Wars, Gears of War, and Halo). Her Star Wars books are considered decent, I believe.

Ok I know you are trolling and I will not fall for that one!

Well yeah he pretty much does with the few parts I’ve read so far with the Bounty Hunter. That is cool with me though because really that is all I was looking for. I just want a little more back story to the game I am going to start playing here in a few days.

You are not alone in this. I’m so confused by it when playing the game.

It’s 3000 years before the movies and there’s an Empire and a Republic.

It’s the Sith Empire. Not Palpatine’s post-Republic Galactic Empire 3000 years later, not Revan and Malak’s short lived pseudo-Sith state (empire?) in KOTOR 1. The continuity is (partly necessarily, partly by choice) complicated enough that they can’t really give you the whole 15 page brochure in the opening yellow crawlover.

At the same time, while I don’t expect everyone to be interested in the lore, it couldn’t have been that confusing or you’d have googled it, no?

If anyone is trying to get into the SWTOR mood, but is willing to forgo TOR-specific details, the current Clone Wars TV Show is really quite good. The starting movie was pretty blah, the first season is good, with some great stuff and mixed in with some average episodes. I think the second season is even better. I’m only a third of the way through the third season, but so far it’s really good.

At 22 minutes each, they pack in a lot of Star Wars goodness into nice bite-sized chunks.

Alas not on Netflix, but they are available via iTunes.

No I’m just too apathetic to bother.

In the original trilogy, the bad guys were the Empire.

In the prequel trilogy, the good guys were the Republic.

In SWTOR, the bad guys are called the Empire and the good guys are called the Republic. How is there room for confusion?

There will be confusion because A: it’s a Sith Empire that’s different from the Sith in KOTOR, the Sith in the movies, and the Empire in the original trilogy, and B: in the prequels/original trilogy you have a Republic that turns into an Empire, not both at the same time.

But as I said the continuity is a bit too complicated for them to just info-dump in the intros. There’s a codex. And a lot of players will figure out “3000 years ago, Republic good, Empire evil” and go from there.

But as I said the continuity is a bit too complicated for them to just info-dump in the intros.

No I kinda don’t think it is. They could even put it in the Scroll!

It is 3000 years before the events that took place on Yavin. The Evil Sith Empire battles the noble Republic for control of the galaxy.

Or some shit like that. I mean jesus fucking hell I don’t know why it is so hard for them to put dates on some of this shit.

Probably because “BBY” focus-grouped 15% nerdier. Also you’ll recall that all of the scrolls has a tradition of in medias res contextlessness, for better or worse. Which rebels? Which Empire? Wait, there’s a base on Hoth now? Where’s Hoth? I demand coordinates.

Yeah, if you’ve seen the movies and are aware of the time period of the game I think it’s fairly obvious it’s not the same Empire.

My point was that the names alone give you enough to go on, so rather than being confusing it was probably the right move in terms of accessibility.

Oh, I agree. There’ll be a big audience unfamiliar with KOTOR - let alone the complicated KOTOR-to-SWTOR backstory - who’ll just go, Empire, Republic, blue laser swords, red laser swords, got it.

I finished The Old Republic Fatal alliance last night and I found it quite enjoyable. The only thing that threw me off and this is more a kindle issue is that I reached the end of the book and it said it was only at 75%! I keep flipping through the pages and they included like 2 chapters from the next book.

So has there been a time line beyond the original movie trilogy? Did the rebels re-establish the republic after the defeat of the armada in Return of the Jedi?

Yes, there’s a new Galactic Alliance and a new Jedi Order.

I can’t find any other threads on this, but this released in early release form today, for subscribers, which I am. The new form is going back to the oldstyle bioware storytelling, and after playing it today for 4 hours, I have to say - goddammit, they actually did it! The new chapters are awesome, full of great stuff, combat, storytelling, great companions, and all the stuff that made games like KOTOR so interesting.

I worry about content though, since Im already at chapter 5, out of…12 I think that are out by now. More will come they say, but I guess we’ll see.

The content Ive played today plays EXACTLY like the oldstyle KOTOR games - you alone in the universe , a great story to follow, and make choices in.
How this will work alongside the MMO that comes before, I have little idea about, but man - so far its awesome to be back in the real star wars universe where I am the hero, and not just one amongst 2 gazillion others.

Be warned though - it requries a level 60 character (which you get for free as a subscriber, or I think you can purchase one) - the content itself is free as well.

Crazy, eh?

edit: Dammit - this is in the wrong forum!