Star Wars VIII: Spoiler Time

You can read whatever you want into the movie.

Because yeah, sure I can see “Yay new generation”. Know what else I can see? The old dude, the one who fucked everything up, didn’t fix anything and hid from his mistakes? He’s the one who saves everyone.

So, yay old dudes, you fucked everything and didn’t make a better world, but you’re still better than this new generation who are just going to be ineffective?

I liked the “we should get our stuff together and invade Russia” subtext personally.

(where is sarcasm font on this forum?)

Somewhat tangential, but imho a huge part of the appeal of these films is that of being the underdog rebels fighting against this monolithic evil empire.

I may be alone in finding it ironic that the, of those 2 sides (empire versus scrappy underdog) the USA is more obviously one, and not t’other… :).

Lucas was an LA college kid during the Vietnam War. It’s not hard to draw some connections there.

I think that by and large Americans have trouble seeing themselves as the big empire, so that comparison probably doesn’t loom all that large on US views of the movies.

Probably helps that the Empire had a British accent too…

So is Nixon Darth Vader, or the Emperor?

I think they failed at this in the latest two movies.

One of us is in the minority on this, because that’s pretty much what I saw, “Wait, nothing’s changed, how is the Empire still the big dog in the Galaxy and the Rebellion the underdogs?”

Yeah new order is still this monolithic, by all accounts unambiguously evil organisation.

I am led to understand the new star wars game had a campaign that sorta kinda started to almost shine a different light on that, but reverted to type at the end.

I haven’t played the game. I may be wrong.

There’s a gap I’d like to see explained between the emperor dying at Anakin’s hands and the start of episode 7.

Failed in the appeal or failing in making the new order evil?

One and a half of those. I guess they’re shown as evil, though in kind of a simplistic way, and TFA did a better job with that. They don’t feel powerful or sinister much at all.

The rebels are bizzare and pointless. Just weird. In the original trilogy it felt like Luke and the gang stumbled into an existing organization and there was a sense of fear and desperation there. Plus hope. I don’t know what they are supposed to be now. But there’s no appeal.

So. Many. Green. Avatars.

Hmmm. You have a point.

That part, the First Order not being as “good” as the Empire, I get though. It’s applying the Kilo Ren formula to other stuff in the Universe.

You know, you’re not going to make a villain as great as Darth Vader, so don’t try, make him different, trying to be Vader but failing in some very important points. It’s taking that formula and applying it to the Empire.

It makes sense in my head…

This is similar to the argument that any change in the series is good, yea verily.

And my response is similar: that’s fine, but what they’ve come up with isn’t that great.

Anyway, I’m struggling to remember anything about these movies so it’s hard to have a discussion about them at this point.

Star trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek IV, Star Trek VI, The Empire Strikes Back, the Luke Thread in ROTJ
Star Wars (aka Ep IV)
Rogue One (although I need to see it again at some point)
TFA
The Last Starfighter, Star Trek VIII
Star Trek TMP, III, Battle Beyond the Stars
The rest of RotJ except the Ewoks
TLJ? The rest of the TNG Trek Movies, save Nemesis are around here.
Ewoks
Star Trek Nemesis, The fucking prequel Trilogy
The Battle Beyond the Stars continuation knockoff redo whatever thingy
Metal Storm: The Destruction of Jared Syn

I support the way you break up movies here since that’s how I rank Souls games.

Here’s my SW list because YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND THE BRAVADO AND ORGINALITY

1. Star Wars
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Rogue One
  4. Revenge of the Sith / Return of the Jedi
  5. Phantom Menace
  6. Attack of the Clones
  7. A New Hope Awakens
  8. The Crap Disney Jedi

OK, I’ll give mine too, based on objective filmmaking quality ™:

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Force Awakens
Phantom Menace/Last Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith / Attack of the Clones

I feel compelled… to MAKE A LIST!

1-2 Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi. I consider this a two-part story. Like Kill Bill vol 1-2. Yeah first position and I’m already cheating!
3 Rogue One
4 Revenge of the Sith
5 The Last Jedi
6 Attack of the Clones / Star Wars
7 The Force Awakens
8 Phantom Menace