Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Emilia Clarke joins the Han Solo standalone film

Dumping the news on a Friday? Sounds like Disney is about as excited about this news as I am (which is to say, not very).

What? After her amazing work on the brilliantly rebooted Terminator blockbuster?

Director Chris Miller popped out this image. They’re beginning filming.

Check out that movie codename!

Star Wars: Red Cup.

Oh, a Solo cup. I get it!

Uh, can you explain? Don’t get the significance of the code name. Maybe it’s an American thing.

Solo is a brand of disposable plastic drinking cups (and probably other stuff, I don’t know) that somehow became the standard for drinking at parties—usually young people in college, and not necessarily alcohol, but yeah, usually cheap beer. Probably just ubiquity and being cheap got it where it is today.

If you google image search for “red solo cup” you’ll see what they look like. If you just do a regular google search for “red solo cup”, you’ll learn about some awful country song that I assume is an ode to the things and the parties or drinking or whatever.

It is very much an American thing.

He died almost a quarter century ago, so I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Then no sale.

Thanks for the explanation WS!

Love Star Wars, but really wish this movie was almost anything else. Ideally not a prequel at all, let alone one that related to a character who is already very predictable and well known. I woud have much rather had an Ewan McGregor Obi Wan movie if they were going to go this route, or a movie set between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens.

Hell, a Liam Neeson movie.

But I have such high hopes for Episode 8 that maybe i’ll be starved for more Star Wars the following year.

Rogue One taught us that this is no obstacle.

Wholly Schmidt hit most of the high points regarding the Solo Cup. The death of the Solo Cup’s creator just before 2016 lurched to an end actually made national news. Certainly thousands, possibly millions of games of beer pong have been played using them. Solos are perhaps a little too disposable to be used as musical instruments, as other cups have been used.

I suppose the Red Cup title follows the [Primary Color] [Noun] Star Wars fake-title-during-shooting-for-secrecy convention started by Return of the Jedi’s “Blue Harvest”, I guess.

As long as these Star Wars movies keep making cargo shiploads of money, I’d be surprised if they don’t go the Taken route at some point.

“I have a very particular set of skills and a higher midichlorian count than you. I will find you and I will force choke you”.

“Hokey religions and weird cells in your bloodstream are no match for a certain set of skills at your side!”

What’s wrong a solo Solo movie? Unlike Rogue One, it can stand alone, rather than be an extraneous cash-in on what should have been left as back story. Han’s a guy who’s clearly had a lot of SEPARATE adventures. The biggest problem is that the actor is almost as old as Harrison Ford was in '77.

Of course, based on my reaction to the Star Wars outings of the last two years, this will probably leave me cold too. Though I am glad everyone else is enjoying the new Star Wars(es). If only so I don’t have to read “Fuck Star Wars” every page.

According to Variety, the amazing Phoebe Waller-Bridge is in talks to be in the Han Solo movie. But as a CG character. So, yeah, Fuck Star Wars Standalone Movies.

-Tom

Argh, the CG character thing is awful. It’s exactly the kind of misguided hubris you’d expect if Lucas were still in charge.

I’m not so sure it’s a reason to worry. What the hell does “CG Character” even mean nowadays?

This could be as simple as Waller-Bridge wearing green-screen panels on her outfit so that they can attack the extra pair of arms in post-processing; something so complex that they’re only using her voice to provide lines to a gaseous, glowing cloud of radiation; or anything in between.

Oh! Now, I’m back to being excited by the news of Phoebe Waller-Bridge being in this movie.

Female droid? Ok I get having droids voiced by women, but I’ve never ascribed a gender to any droid before.

‘BB-8 was originally conceived as a female droid but was changed during production’ WTF does that even mean?!