StarCraft: Remastered

I spent many hours playing StarCraft back in the day and I still have it installed on my new Windows 10 PC. But I will probably buy StarCraft: Remastered for the updated graphics, if nothing else.

Check it out:

Ooh, fun! Is there demand for updated SC1 from an esports angle?

The one thing I wanted was a selection limit greater than 12. Without that, this whole project generates little more than indifference on my part.

Changing something like that would destroy the whole balance. The selection limit was never a technical limitation, it was a design decision from the beginning. It might not hold up well to the modern RTS tastes but changing it now would be terrible.

Are they going to allow private servers? I bet not… Having a small community of regulars on our own server was what made the original fun for me.

Maybe it can be modded now?

[quote]
Stylized Briefings: Race-themed comic book interludes tell the original story with a fresh coat of paint[/quote]

Does not compute.

So instead of the talking heads in the original its comics?

Here’s hoping they do the Zerg ones like this:

I hope they are working on Diablo 2 remastered in parallel…

Blizzard has joined Valve as a company I once loved and still respect as a business, but it’s been 20 years since they made anything of interest to me.

They say they re-recorded all the dialogue too. Re-recording aren’t always well accepted by the fans… Silent Hill2/3 was a debacle. I wonder if they’re trying to retcon some stuff as well?

The Terran on the cover has a QR code now on his forehead instead of a bar code . Trendy!

A few more bits:

1. Gameplay is really not being touched at all. In fact, replays from StarCraft after v1.16 will work in StarCraft Remastered.

2. Sometime very soon, the original StarCraft will get an update to v1.18. Once that update is live everyone - EVERYONE - gets the original StarCraft and Brood Wars added to their Blizzard accounts for FREE.

3. Multiplayer between StarCraft Remastered and original StarCraft will be compatible, so there should be plenty of players on day 1.

Take all of my money.

Honestly, I liked Diablo (1) more. Yes I’m in the minority, but it lost the claustrophobic atmosphere of the 1st one in the update - enough that I never actually finished D2. I should probably post about my D1 experiences in the immersive game thread, as that one was definitely on my list from the first morning after my 28.8 modem finished downloading the 60MB demo, and I hacked it for the 3 extra levels.

It’s a sentiment expressed by a bunch of people here - it’s the only game in the series that I adored, and one of the few action-RPGs that I enjoyed, largely because there was a sense of exploration and a more gritty and grounded feel.

Pretty much everyone in my group didn’t care for Diablo 2 the first time through. We were going to write it off as a bad purchase after beating Diablo (the character). But then one of my friends noticed that when trying to create a new character, there was a new “hardcore” option. We never looked back after that. It became my most played game of all time. As a single player experience, I agree the original Diablo was better. But as a multiplayer experience, Diablo 2 hardcore was amazing. And not super-well balanced either until the expansion came out and they introduced the ability to type in “Players 8”.

TeamLiquid has a lot more detail.

Just a reminder that everyone’s free copy of StarCraft and Brood War are available now in the Blizzard launcher.