Starcrawlers -its out now!

This deserves its own thread - I just saw the video and description over at RPS and was instantly in love. Basically, it looks like Might & Magic, but in space, turnbased dungeon crawling with a scifi theme instead of fantasy.

Enjoy the trailer here, and the games website here.

Thanks so much for posting this. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the name of this game! Early access in November? Woot!

Looks interesting, bit like an updated graphics version of Captive, a game that stole large parts of my youth.

Wait… someone said Captive… now I’m really interested.

Just a heads up that this comes to early access on Steam tomorrow. I’ve been watching an ongoing playthrough on YouTube and I’m pretty excited by what I’ve seen so far.

I’ve been playing this too and it seems promising so far.

There are some pretty heavy balance issues. The developer can’t seem to decide whether battles should be very fast or longer, so ability balance is all over the board. About half to two thirds of the abilities are useless because they are designed for long fights but battles in this game tend to end very fast. Some classes are hit harder than others. The void caster class gains power the longer a fight lasts, but even with a very fast pistol, they wont be able to attack more than three times. Engineer has a bunch of things they can summon, but the fight is over before even the first thing they summon can act, much less before they get any junk resources to do special stuff.

There needs to be more stuff to do in the mid to long run. About level 6-7 i grew bored of just doing random missions without anything new or any reason to do more.

This is out today in Early Access, and I purchased it and tried it out. Its glorious! I haven’t played much, since I don’t want to spoil it too much, but I 'm really liking what I see. Its kinda a cross between Wizardry 8 and a rogue like it seems, with turn-based combat and small missions you do to level up and gain reputation.
The artwork is awesome and the music is reminiscent of Wizardry 8 (which I*m sure is no coincidence) and I can’t wait to get this out of Early Access.

Anyways -enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah, I’ll get it tonight as soon as I get home. I’ve been waiting for months, and the price point is pretty good, too.

Wow, music by Ben Prunty, who also did the soundtrack for FTL. His distinct style is definitely recognizable. I’ve really enjoyed the last hour I spent with this game and I want to play more but I also don’t want this to turn out like Don’t Starve where I played it so much during beta that I barely touched it once it was released.

The idea of a group of mercenaries touring the galaxy doing jobs is something I don’t understand haven’t been done more in this genre. Its so blindingly obvious to me that everyone should love it. I also think things like outfitting your ship / home should be a part of this, but thats just me talking about my pet peeve, but hey, even Blizzard has come around to this idea now of personal homes and henchmen - I think everyone should adopt it.

You mean the same idea that games such as ultima online and baldur’s gate 2 had over a decade before Blizzard? As usual, blizzard is a trend follower, not a trend setter. Blizzard was basically forced to have a home system after so many other games, especially mmorpgs, started having it.

I do believe that companies don’t want to take a chance on a sci fi rpg in general. I suspect they feel forced to go with fantasy (which i also like) because it is more traditional.

I assume you have already, but I suggest checking out star wars the old republic. It has a very well done “home base” system with followers. It is MUCH MUCH MUCH better done than the one in WoW.

Am i missing something or does this update completely break the game?

i just tried to start a combat two times now and both times when the enemy acts, i get stuck on their turn, seemingly unable to do anything.

Ok now it works. Not sure what happened. I just restarted the game and when i came back it worked again.

It looks like there have been a ton of changes since i last played. Engineer’s bolty actually scales now (it went from doing 15 damage with my level 9 engineer to 115) instead of doing the same 15 damage it did when i first got it even though my engineer does hundreds of damage shooting.

Enemy health seems higher and everyone’s damage seems much lower. Combat seems much longer now. It used to last one to two turns max every time after you get to around level 5. This was a two way street though. Some enemies did a lot of damage to you before.

It remains to be seen if build up classes/abilities are decent now. My void caster can still never get past about 30 energy even with all of the best energy generating skills, which kind of makes void using abilities suck.

I’m also worried about the pretty massive nerf to force psyker’s warding blow. The barrier was already very weak throughout most of the game when i played last. It wasn’t until i could kill every enemy in one turn that it was able to actually absorb more than one hit from the enemy. Maybe the overall balance changes have made that different though. It is also possible they made these change solely because of the explode barriers skill which was VERY powerful and probably the main reason i used barriers at all, since they are/were very weak and often used on the wrong person.

Similar view on the void psyker changes. It worries me when i see abilities that were previously useless lowered in effectiveness, but maybe that was changed since i’ve played.

I think i’m going to start a new game later to get used to the new state of things. My current party is simply too powerful for the current content and my opinion is too based in how it was when i was playing up until now.

Ugh this patch “fixed” healthpacks.

Healthpacks used to say they healed for 10% for the first one and going up 10% per tier. Out of combat they healed for this but in combat, it was a full heal.

The problem is that they aren’t super cheap (about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you get in a mission) and the vendor only sells 2-3 between each mission.

An enemy, even in the new patch, will do 10% of your life in 1-2 hits. There is no class that can heal and only the force pysker has any type of defensive ability for the most part. It also isn’t very good.

So now getting whittled down over a mission is a huge concern because you just can’t heal yourself at all.

You’re right, it does sound strange but the free-look works so well in this game that I pretty much had it enabled full time (this was before the patch introduced the toggle). Really smooth.

Yeah, I’m doing much more damage now. But the encounters are lasting longer, which gives me a chance to play around with all of my squad’s abilities. This is incredibly addictive!

Email I got today, says this will release in early spring, thanks to some extra funding they received.

So… they’ll announce the release date on April 3rd, and they said it shouldn’t be long after that, so that means the final release will most likely be in April.

More info (including a new game mode) below:

1.0 next month!

1.0 has been moved back to May 23, 2017. So not too much longer.

This is out today, and has been on my wishlist for years. Anyone jumping in? The initial steam reviews are positive (95% of 168 reviews so far), which is a great start. And the price is right at only twenty bucks!