Stardew Valley - Indie Farm Game

Uh oh. I picked that game up last weeked (as a two-for one) and have yet to fire it up. What’s the issue with that save system for it? More difficulty between save times?

I’m assuming Coldsteel wanted to be able to quit when life intervened and then resume at the same point.

Fundamentally, I don’t think I enjoyed TWoM enough to warrant the longer play sessions that once-a-day saving forces. Obviously your mileage may vary.

Specific to Stardew Valley though, I’ve enjoyed this game so much that if I have to bail before I have a chance to save or if I er, replay a day to save scum a bad decision, then that’s okay with me! :)

Yeah, exactly that. I try to avoid games with spread-out mission save points and the like because life intervenes a lot. Games that save your progress when you exit, I’m fine with though, even if it has save points. I guess I don’t really understand why this one doesn’t save on exit.

Have you seen the way it saves? It’s ridiculously inefficient. Saving a gamestate during the day instead of at the sleep breakpoint would bloat the files to like 300 MB!

I’ve got the spare space.

You guys and your checkpointsplaining! We savebabies know all the balance and technical arguments already.

At some point I need to get to the end of year three. I think all my fences need repairing.

I stop playing Stardew at that point where I stop being time efficient and productive and just want to see what comes next. If I remember with my main character I finally managed to marry Penny(?) I think. There’s apparently something with children you can do… My forests are doing pretty well I think…

Another character I started from scratch and tried one of the new modes but didn’t get very far into that.

Chucklefish’s new game. Also Switch version of SDV is coming. CEO’s twitter account:

I picked this up for the Switch and it’s great. The save and load times are super long, though. I hope that improves with future updates. Saving at the end of the day takes ~ 45 seconds now.

Wow, that’s long enough that they should have something to distract you while it’s saving. Do they display a nice saving animation at least?

Nope. :(

I heard the long save times were patched in to combat save file corruption and other save issues on the consoles.

Or rather, the lengthy times are a side effect of the method used to fix those issues. I don’t remember the PC version taking long at all.

More content, for MP and SP, so happiness all around I hope.

I’ve been considering getting this on the Switch, but the long save times would really annoy me. According to the patch notes, save times were improved in the last patch (29th of November).

Players should see a significant improvement on save times! Also, the saving screen is now animated.

How are things now?

It’s quite a bit better but they sometimes can be longer. It saves at the end of the game day and takes 15-20 seconds. It’s not nearly as annoying as before and I definitely wouldn’t let that prevent you from getting the game.

Great news! Thanks.

Wait is someone here doing something other than buying Stardew Valley right now? Because that’s foolish at best.

Well, to be fair, it’s “buying it again” in my case, so ending up with a sub-par experience would be annoying. But 20 seconds sounds like a good compromise for a portable version.

Who knows, playing it in bed might lead to going to sleep earlier, but that seems like wishful thinking.

Hey, that’s exactly what I use it for and it works well because the day end save points are very natural times for turning the game off.