Stardew Valley - Indie Farm Game

I think an 80% is about right for a niche game that is pixel art for the PC. The content was crap though. What did they spend like three minutes in the game?

the idea of finding wild leeks and horseradish and things like that sounds fun though.

I love Harvest Moon games, and I don’t need hand holding. I started with the first game, SNES, and that was a challenging then.

Sounds like a game for me then.

They could still have fast travel if it also advanced the appropriate amount of time depending on speed and distance.

Isn’t that what the horse is for?

Super happy this is now on GOG too :)

I don’t know, I’m not that far. I was talking theoretically.

One annoying detail is make certain you have a spot open on your backpack when you craft. If you don’t you have to throw something away, the game does not let you open a chest on the crafting window. I think Profanicus already alluded to this earlier.

Does anyone else find the map to be a tad off? Eventually I will remember the paths but i found the map not as helpful in the details. Like the Blacksmith seems to be slightly above where I thought the map indicated.
How about the mail? There does not seem to be a way to read letter after letter in a row? I finish reading and it closes and I have to click on the mailbox to read the next letter.

I wish I did not have to open a door especially on my home when I want to enter every single time.

I have tried playing with the Steam Controller on the link which makes it easier to move around. I do find it a bit harder to water than I did with the mouse but I hope to getter better with practice. I have to say I enjoy playing this on the TV more than my computer. I could see my wife liking this game a lot as she loved Animal Crossing.

Yes, a niche game that is the #1 seller on Steam for the past 24 hours, with Overwhelmingly Positive feedback, means a lot of people wanted this kind of game and AFAIK there were few offerings like it on the PC. Reading the comparisons to others in the same space from other platforms (Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, etc) suggests that it’s just as good if not better. I feel like these results would put it in the high 80’s, low 90’s easily.

Anyhoo, not that these scores matter much but like you said, the lack of content in the review is shameful.

Well Banished was also a niche game that I enjoyed that had a top selling spot for a number of days… I wouldn’t give it much more than an 80 since it was lacking in so many ways, and I liked that game. Lot’s of niche games score in the 80-90 range, and I think that’s fine. I would argue not that their scores are low but there are too many mainstream games that get the top mark.

Now as to that PC Gamer review… it was so vague and unspecific I question how long they actually played the game… or if they’ve every played a game like it before.

I’m at 16 hours played and in the first half of fall. There is still a ton of content I’ve yet to see. At this point I think there are still 4-5 areas I haven’t even seen yet (not to mention an entire season). This is probably the most polished $15 game you could buy: the graphics are super charming and the ambiance really makes the world feel alive. The game constantly has me going “just one more day”.

The only thing that bothered me about the game at first was the movement speed. I think that was mostly due to expectations based on other modern games, but I was able to adjust and it doesn’t bother me at all anymore. You do eventually get to buy a horse, and I think there are one or two more modes to transportation after that to be unlocked.

If you’ve ever enjoyed a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory type game then you should definitely be getting this.

V1.3 increased movement speed and “fixed” the weird sluggish diagonal movement.

I’m wondering about the minecarts…

Mine carts Spoiler

Mine Carts

You can unlock mine carts for travel between the bus stop, the mines, and the museum part of town. Do this by finishing the furnace area in the community center.

Well, since we’re doing spoilers…here’s a minor one, actually more of a clue:

Clue

Don’t ignore the worms!

I picked this game up yesterday, but I’m suffering random crashes that make it impossible to get through the first day. It breaks my heart, since this has made me so nostalgic for Harvest Moon and I really want to play it :-(

I’ve tried opening it with Administrator access, re-installing XNA 4.0, and restarting my computer, but nothing seems to work. Guess I’ll have to just wait until the developer patches the problem.

@ Reemul, you can get it on GOG too :)

Yep, wasnt when i got it l, but hopefully it means more sales, great they are comfortable drm free as well.

So, I bought this and played with it for the last 3 days… pretty much straight. This is the first “one more turn” game I’ve played in awhile. I am having a hard time stepping away, which is always a good sign! I’d love to tell you more about how endearing the experience is, but I need to go give Abigail a present and water my plants…

Picked it up this afternoon. So… 3 hours went by without me noticing.

This is good. Having poured hundreds and hundreds of hours into Harvest Moon games (Rune Factory, Story of Seasons, etc) and Animal Crossing/Tomodachi Life.

This game was made just for me, and I am loving it. The art isn’t perfect… but pretty excellent for an indie release.

Just want to echo some of the same thoughts. I watched a guy on twitch play it for a whole day… the next morning I watched him play a few more hours and I couldn’t handle it any more, I had to try it for myself. Bought it, played it three days straight. Amazing game. And I can’t wait to play it again (as I type this at work).

This is my first Harvest Moon-type game, so it’s already something kind of special for me. There’s just something cozy and relaxing about the game and I really hope they continue to expand upon it and bring us new places to visit and experience.

I’m already planning to take a look at and play the Rune Factory games…I think I’m a farming life addict now. :D

I just dipped my toes in this.

Do I spend the first few days just watering my plants and selling them? I am not sure how best to fill my time here.

I think so. The game will open up more and more as you play it. Spend any extra time you have cutting down trees, mining stone, and scything the grass for fiber. Clear out areas where you think you might want to build something. The game will then introduce you to fishing, crafting, dungeon-delving, and so on as you go.