Stardew Valley - Indie Farm Game

A couple notes about MP.

If you want any hint of a challenge drop the price of things down (it’s an option when you start) or you’ll bring in a lot of money. Menu’s don’t stop time anymore, so this makes fishing, which used to pause during the mini game, and doing things quickly a little harder but there’s at least two of you so one of you could really go fishing and not do anything else while the other took car of drops and stuff. You have to both go to bed to end the day… oh and cut scenes can really ruin a well timed sprint because, again, time doesnt’ stop so that super long cut scene just ate 2 hours!

These are minor gripes though compared to the general fun of it.

I’m guessing that means there is no way to pause either? Is money grouped for the farm? And how are things like someone going to the mines or the desert handled if the other person does not go?

Here’s what the official site says:

• In co-op, all players share the same pool of money, and are working together on the same farm. The state of the game world, including the main storyline, is shared between all players. However, each player has their own private inventory, skills, achievements, collections, relationships, quests, and crafting/cooking recipes.

You’re not locked in screen at all so if you want to spend all day fishing or fixing your farm while you partner plays with slimes, nothing stopping you there. You an also join them at any point. The chests are one time though so that greedy dungeon player might be taking all the advanced stuff, make them share!

The game is designed to play with people you know and want to coop with. This would not be good for a random person or someone who is kind of a jerk.

Noted. So my GF fits the bill but not her nephew. :)

Haha, perhaps that’s the case. My sister loves going into the dungeon so when we had the funds, I let her take the expanded backpack first and told her she had better share that ore.

I can fish for days and spelunk nightly but damn if the monotony of farming doesn’t get to me a bit, and I know my GF would love that part. I think it will work really well. Then she will probably marry someone like Sebastian and that’s when the problems will start.

Haha. I married Penny the first time to get her out of the trailer and away from that mother. I was going well with Alex when they released the update so I started over. Then he made Shane an option so I had to go with him of course, and he’s not much of a doer but he likes our kid a lot.

I enjoy farming, a lot, and fishing… heck all of it. What I could really use though is… Rune Factory. In that game you worked hard to get monsters to do your work for you!

Never played Rune Factory but that sounds interesting. I held off on getting married in Stardew until Concerned Ape patched in the update where you could free up Shane or Emily to marry and I married Emily, who is surprisingly similar to my actual GF who is a bar manager. She does not know that about the game nor that I was married in-game at all. I’m sure that’s going to be a fun conversation.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved farming once I got to the point of making beer, wine, jelly/jam and whatnot. That early stuff just took me a long time to get the hang of. It was also really fun exploring the game and all it had to offer. I can’t wait to see what that’s like playing with someone else.

I think the main complaint is… it doesn’t change the game drastically. For the most part, you’re just playing with someone else, two people farming, fishing and mining, everything else is basically the same. It’s the first attempt at MP for a game like this, so I am largely pleased myself. I think future games can at least consider it now which is a huge step forward.

So I’m currently on my third playthrough, and I just had a real “holy shit” moment when I pieced together some of the villager dialog. Gonna spoiler it, because it was amazing for me when I worked it out (though many people maybe have already figured it out).

Caroline tells you at some point that she used to go visit the wizard in the forest a lot (and to please not tell Pierre because he gets jealous).

The Wizard tells you that he has reason to believe that one of the villagers is his daughter.

Abigail has purple hair (like the wizard) and is interested in all sorts of arcane stuff and adventure… not at all like fuddy duddy Pierre.

Holy shit, the wizard and Caroline had an affair and Abigail was the result.

Man, I love this game. :D

(Um… don’t know why the spoiler blurring isn’t working.)

Place a line break after the start tag and before the end tag. In other words, keep the tags themselves on their own lines.

Aha, thank you!

Yeah I didn’t get that my first play through either but I did the second. He put a lot of little details in there and some surprisingly dark stuff too. At one point there was a secret no one found or got, he said. I have no idea if that was ever discovered. It’s just such a great little game.

ConcernedApe says goodbye to Chucklefish.

https://stardewvalley.net/move-to-self-publishing-starting-december-14th/

When I first released Stardew Valley, I was a complete novice to the video game industry. Chucklefish, as my publisher, oversaw the distribution, console ports and translations of the game. They set up the official wiki and helped me redesign the website, to great effect. And of course,Tom Coxon did amazing work adding network code to the game, making multiplayer a reality.

But I’m at a point now where I’m ready to move forward on my own. I think self-publishing is the end-goal of most indie developers, and I’m happy to be in a place where that’s possible!

That’s interesting. I am guess it’s Chucklefish that helped get the game on literal shelves. I was surprised to see it in physical form and, of course, bought two copies for PS4.

I think Stardew Valley is pretty great as is. There is a good amount of content. It’s relatively bug free, and the only thing I’ve been waiting for is to have the PS4 version update because I actually like playing this on the big screen on a recliner more than I thought I would and it’s missing the last update. Even the MP which didn’t meet some expectations mostly met mine. We’re still enjoying it, by that by the way.

If he wants to add more, I hope he enjoys the process.

I’ve tried playing with a controller on my PC and didn’t love it, do the console versions have better control?

Last I tried gamepad was well before console versions came out, in case that matters.

Yes. Absolutely. I tried the Big Screen thing with Steam Link which was disastrous and also the controller at my desk which was different, read bad, too. I did that because the consoles are still lacking the two last updates.

For my PS4 though everything feels right, no weird lag and you can “type” with it,virtual keyboard. It looks a lot better too although that might have been me not screwing around with settings enough on Big Screen.

Cool, thanks. I could see myself picking this up on PS4 if the control is actually good on a pad.

Yeah the difference for me was night and day, but to be honest i rarely use controller on PC. Overcooked, Recettear and maybe one or two others. Playing Stardew on a recliner with the PS4, I could do that until I fall asleep, it’s so soothing and fun!