Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

It’s a 35th percentile rating.

And? Can you amplify?

That’s something you can easily correct as it is in the public domain, http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

This is based on the 3DO version which had a number of enhancements from the DOS version.

It’s simply not everybody’s cup of tea. It provides somewhat more varied things to do than Starcon 2 (essentially the same basic concept) and the graphics & sound are better. Origins is less … original in gameplay, I guess? But I kind of assumed that from the get-go, and I’d think most others did. The story lines, etc. are all unique to the game (yes, albeit with sci-fi tropes thrown in there, including sometimes intentionally/done for humor).

On the flipside: it’s had a few technical hiccups, the gameplay is still decidedly 90’s (good for some, not so for others), and can get repetitive (as could StarCon 2, but at the time it was “fresh and new” & therefore took a bit longer to experience the sensation). I really enjoy Origins, but I can certainly see why others wouldn’t.

I have a high tolerance for old-school gameplay mechanics, and I am enjoying Origins a lot. The gameplay is very similar to Star Control 2, I personally think planet landings are more interesting, and I much prefer the fleet battles over SC2 super melee (which I really disliked). I prefer the music and overall presentation of SCO as well. What SC2 does better, IMO, is the writing and humour. I realise this is subjective, but I’ve yet to meet an alien that approaches Fwiffo’s sheer silliness. I do think the Scryve are more fun than the Ur-Quan though, they’re my favourite aliens to chat with so far. If nothing else SCO is a valiant attempt at SC2 and I look forward to more.

However, the game kept locking up on me during a particular Drenken fight (and occasionally in other fleet battles too) so I shelved it for a while.

Just finished the game.

I like it, it was good fun, and mostly i REALLY enjoyed the aliens, what a FUN bunch…I was mostly pining to get to the next event that was going on, or whatever crazy problem that needed solving.

However, that lander game, Stardock, that had a premise of being a very good shooter game in itself, why then the half baked going ons?

If you had ramped up the shooting there, I would have enjoyed picking up stuff a lot more…also at the end of the game, I just end up with a -lot- of weirdo minerals Ive been saving without really knowing what they are good for? basically I should have just sold the lot.

Space part is fun and still tickles the old school, but the story was the most fun.

The modding guide is coming along:

http://wiki.starcontrol.com/index.php/Modders_Guide

As for some of the commentary, nostalgia is a very challenging thing to compete with.

Guys like Yahtzee liked it and recommend it. And if you are familiar with him, you know he doesn’t like most games. https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/10/10/star-control-origins/

I think it will be interesting to see how the Star Control games evolve over the next few years. The first expansion rolls out next month which will continue to fill out the universe and the entire game is set up to be extensible by other players.

But most importantly, it’ll come down to iteration and iteration.

Just curious if you had any new info on console release? I’m playing on Steam presently but I’d probably rebuy when it gets to Xbox.

We are in the process of porting it to the consoles as we speak. :)

Ok, just made my first little mod.

https://forums.starcontrol.com/491643/my-first-mod

The first mod for a space game starting on Earth is surely called ‘Hello World’? :-)

Week 4 blog!

https://forums.starcontrol.com/491646/

We are currently working on version 1.1 of Star Control: Origins and the first free DLC called the Multiverse. We expect to have a beta version of v1.1 out this week for those who want to try it out.

Multiverse

The Multiverse DLC will open up Steam Workshop to modders who want to create their own stories, maps, custom settings, aliens, etc. for people to play with. This DLC will obviously evolve over time and get more features as we learn what kinds of things players like to share.

The Expansion

We will be announcing the first expansion in a few weeks which will be released as a single season pass so that we can release it as a series of micro-expansions. It will introduce lots of new aliens, new places to visit, new quests and will benefit both players who have finished the main storyline as well as new players.

Looking forward to it!

How is multiverse going to work with those of us that bought the game through GOG?

We are working with GOG to see how we can solve that as it’s mainly a way to enable and disable mods.

Just finished the main story and was wondering if there are any expansions planned that will not require me to start all over. I would like to pick up where I left off. By the way enjoyed the game, in fact it’s the first one I have actually finished in a long time. The last game I finished was Fallout 4 and I did that twice. One last question is the Star Control universe static as in the goodies and resources are all in the same place? I would expect the stars and factions to be static.

The first expansion is scheduled to begin rolling out in about a month. None of the content requires you to start over. :)

The SC universe itself isn’t static. Events can trigger pretty much anything you can imagine to happen (including adding of new stars).

The factions themselves aren’t static. Some of them move throughout the course of the game. Even Earth’s territory can change.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant about factions being static is their starting positions are fixed. They may change depending on how long I take to contact them or as you said events cause a change. Other than new stars being created by events does the map start the same way every time?

Enable/disable mods - Wouldn’t the Stardock launcher be able to do that as well, or isn’t that one used with SC?

Yea, the starting locations are always the same as it’s a set story (i.e. this is an adventure/RPG as opposed to say a strategy game).

How things go from there depends on your choices.