Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Still cautiously optimistic.

If only those god danged Skylanders would stop making them so much money!

Actually, strike the qualifier. I bought the Founder’s edition in october, so I am committed to optimism.

I still regret NOT buying in. :/

It is odd that it is being described as respecting their wishes, like there was a choice in the matter. Perhaps that would have still been the case, but I’m pretty sure that what Stardock bought didn’t give them the rights to do it. I remember there being discussion it about when the sale was announced.

Stardock only got the rights to the name, not the actual content.

There are some comments beneath this RPS article, which don’t give any sources. This forum thread seems to offer more solid discussion. Atari never owned the SC2 stuff, but they may have owned SC3 wholly, so Stardock could conceivably use races from that game?

I know you love space, but it’s a little early to regret your lack of founder’s backing, isn’t it? :)

I dunno!!

Brad has a new Star Control journal out and takes a look at our huge galaxy and how to duplicate that in a game.

http://www.stardock.com/games/article/484418/space-is-really-really-big

Probably the case, but a good decision to not do so.

Is that missing something, because it didn’t really say anything about how to duplicate it in game, only that “Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.”

I’ve often wondered what kind of impact the location of our solar system has on our world. For instance is we didn’t live in a far flung arm of the Milky Way and instead lived near the center (obviously not right in the center since a black hole sits there). Would Earth still have life due to the possible increase in stellar events that would tear through the system? Would there be a large increase in the heavier atomic elements due to the density of stars and those supernova events?

Imagine what the sky could look like with the naked eye nearer middle the center of the galaxy. Well, the galaxy picture made me think of those questions again, sorry for derail :)

One thing I’ve heard is that Jupiter acts as a sort of meteor shield for the inner solar system worlds, giving us longer periods between catastrophic crash events.

There’s a bit of a misunderstanding on this one; Jupiter and Jupiter-like/Jovian planets have been modeled to show they help clear the small stuff in the early stages of a solar system like ours. In that respect, they’re helpful. However, once cleared they don’t really do so much on a positive note aside from the occasional interception. Far more frequently, they simply change the orbital behavior of near misses. Sometimes this causes the object to be flung into deep space, but other times they’re caused to return to the inner system more quickly (eg - Comet Hale-Bopp, who instead of returning about 4200 years from now will instead return in about 2300 years).

Think of it this way; Jupiter is pretty darn far from Earth, and the Sun exerts a much stronger gravitational force than it does. We circle the sun once a year. Jupiter takes 12 years to complete its orbit. The vast majority of the time, Jupiter won’t be in the way to shield us from objects being pulled into the inner solar system.

Your going to have all that in your game? If so, you sure have the start to a star control grand strategy game. To bad I can’t envision a star control grand strategy game, unless it starts of something like: “Two ur-quan children playing; One dreams of having giant space ships filled with fighters and ruling the galaxy…”

We have a new official subreddit and Brad posted a new FAQ over there.

Woohoo! Now I can stalk the game on my two favorite online hangouts ;-)

Looking forward to more on this!

Hm, beta this fall, eh? Sounds good.

The Ur-quan Kzer-Za was one of the coolest anthems ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNul2QETPE

Would love to hear that kind of music in this release :)