Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Yeah, so yesterday, I got an email from SD directly giving me my new Steam key. My guess is that Founders have a slightly different SKU (and perhaps even just Lifetime Mega Ultra Founders, or whatever-the-hell I am) that grants earlier access to the beta.

I’m hopeful that the classic ships will be ported into Super Melee soon, but some of the new ones are cool, while I have no idea what some of them do :-D

Yep, Founders will have their keys already for the Super Melee beta. :)

Sort of. I bought Servo, which Brad was kind enough to convert into the founder’s edition of Star Control. Which was seriously incredibly awesome of him.

The biggest debate on Super Melee falls around the screen wrapping.

Does the original SC2 have wrapping? Asteroids did.

SC2 had wrapping.

How would you even not have wrapping? The whole point is to fight around the planet’s gravity well. That’s what keeps the combat more interesting. I think the issue Brad is talking about maybe is how to handle the wrapping, not whether or not to have it.

Beta 1 is starting soon. Brad has a schedule up on what to expect over the next month. :)

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/485793/star-control-beta-1-schedule

New dev journal today talks about the lore of Star Control! :)

You guys feel like you’ve got the tone/humor/sense of mystery just right so far. That was a great little read :)

The first beta goes live tomorrow.

I’m really interested to see how people like the combat system.

It keeps the top down perspective from classic series.

Star Control Melee is some of the most fun I’ve had in gaming. I can’t wait to see how this new one turns out. Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow, totally forgot that I had preordered this!

I also really like these features mentioned in a steam discussion thread:

#3 You will eventually be able to set up sound effects for your primary and secondary abilities as well as set the Stinger music for your victory.

#4 You will eventually be able to pick your own set of animations for the portraits. These will be PNG bitstrips to support normal, severely damaged, victory, death, and hit. The Steam workshop will support players uploading their own bit strips, sound effects, etc. to share.

I also like that you can design custom ships, though I’m wondering what freedom you actually have and how that can be balanced.

I’m calling it now that I will be in the top 10 of the leaderboard in ranked!

Here’s a great read on the 25th anniversary of Star Control. :)

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/485810/star-control-ii-25th-anniversary---on-the-shoulders-of-giants

Star Control: Origins Fleet Battles Beta begins today!

Trailer:

Star Control: Origins is a science-fiction adventure game set in an open universe that puts the player as the captain of Earth’s first interstellar vessel on a mission to find allies to help save humanity from certain annihilation.

The beta unlocks the Fleet Battles feature, where you’ll assemble ships in a fleet and engage in battle with fleets controlled by either the computer, humans via the Internet, or even friends sitting at the same PC.

You can literally design your own ships to use in combat using the Ship Crafting system, or you can download ships designed by others to play with. Ship Crafting not only allows you to decide what weapons and defenses a ship has, but allows total control of how a ship looks.

More info here: Star Control: Origins Fleet Battles Beta Begins Today » Forum Post by Island Dog

will beta testers be allowed to stream and upload their play sessions?

Looks great! And the weapon that looks like it is firing red DNA is cool as hell (needs more range, though :P)

Yes. :)

Yep. Go right ahead.

This looks fantastic already. Nice work Brad and SD.

Sigh. Already spent my gaming money this month. Hey, somebody use your street influence/knowledge with Stardock and score me a free copy of this, 'k?