Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

I have good news!

After 4 years of groveling to Paul and Fred for a canon sequel to Star Control 2:
https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

It’s going to be called Ghost of the Precursors!

This will be an independent effort by Paul and Fred but it WILL be using the Ur-Quan, Orz, and all the characters featured in Star Control 2 plus new ones!

Holy shit

Are they gonna be using y’all’s engine and stuff or is it a completely separate project? Will you publish?

Additionally, HOLY SHIT lol

Thirded holy shit. Holy. Shit.

Totally separate. My contribution to it thus far has come only in the form of nagging and groveling. ;)

Fascinating!

I hope everything works out best for all parties! And at the end of the day, more Star Control for everyone :-D

Now when do we get to dig into Hyper Melee???

Shortly. :)

I am dead.

After all these years, I have to apologize and confess to my mom that apparently it does do some good.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Alright @Brad_Wardell, I am not necessarily a fan of a ship design module in SC, but your (and by proxy Stardock’s) amazing attitude towards this IP, which has now successfully dragged the creators back for a SC2 sequel, has made me drop for a founder’s pack. Good work, now don’t fuck this up! :D

I’m fine/
Then I die/
Holy shit!

I’m trying not to get too excited, and temper my expectations. But honestly, I can’t help the smile this news has put on my face all day.

Going back to Stardock’s reboot: I like that shot of the combat screen. It’s like a stylized version of Melee mode, with ships looking like they came from a painting.

You know what I’d love to see? A Star Control expansion based on Stewart Cowley’s Terran Trade Authority. Man I loved those books when I was a kid, and they are chock full of ship designs and world-building info.

I had Great Space Battles when I was a kid. Mediocre writing wrapped around some absolutely great art, particularly the Peter Elson stuff – that guy could paint spaceships.

I’ve been meaning to buy those books at some point. Look gorgeous.

I still have mine. Go back and look at them from time to time. I should have made more of a point to get my kids into them when they were little.

If anyone is into Discord, we have a Star Control server setup.

I AM SO HAPPY

Yes but are you a * happy * * camper *???