Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

It’s confirmed that PR3 and Ford own all the IP from SC2, per a quote from PR3 at UQM. It sounds like Frogboy & His Merry Band of Pirates got the right to use the Star Control name and not much else :\

Depends if T4B bought the stuff or if the owners had it personally.
Given the UQM is still up, which I can’t see being allowed if ATVI owned it…

That’s the spirit! Who says the Internet is full of jaded cynics?

I saw that quote, and Paul indicated that he believes Stardock also got all copyrightable items from Star Control 3. While many of us would like to imagine that never got published, wouldn’t that include all the races, ship names, and character names that appeared in 3? That would include (if Wikipedia is right):

Clairconctlar
Daktaklakpak
Doog
Harika & Yorn
K’tang
Ploxis
Chmmr
Earthling
Mycon
Orz
Pkunk
Spathi
Syreen
Ur-Quan Kzer-Za
Utwig
VUX
Arilou
Exquivan
Herald
Lk
Owa
Precursors
Vyro-Ingo
Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah
Xchagger

So they can’t remake 1 or 2, but (if correct) this would mean they could still do a relaunch with the SC3 that should have been instead of the one we got.

Didn’t realize that Activision had bought Toys for Bob, but that makes sense. Well, my skepticism is certainly raised, given that Paul Reiche says they haven’t even heard from Stardock. But I wish Wardell, et al, the best.

This is weird. If they really wanted to make a Star Control II sequel, and Toys for Bob has the rights to SC2 (but not SC3), why not contact Toys for Bob instead of giving Atari money?

I think it said Atari owned the rights to the name “Star Control”.

So, some sort of thing where no one owns all the rights, like what tied up the Hobbit for so long?

Posted on the Ur-Quan Masters forum not too long ago:

Hi guys!

Brad from Stardock here.

We have connected with Paul and Fred. Fingers crossed but things look hopeful. The copyright to Star Control 1/2 is owned by Paul Rieche directly, not Toys for Bob so I think there is reason to think that they might be able to participate in the creation of a new Star Control game.

None of this changes the status of the Ur-Quan Masters or Star Control on GOG.

Our core team involved at Stardock (myself included) have been huge fans of Paul’s work since the Archon / Star Flight days.

Our core team involved at Stardock (myself included) have been huge fans of Paul’s work since the Archon / Star Flight days.

Wait, wait, wait. Paul Rieche was involved with Star Flight as well? Well, damn. Maybe I’ll have to play the Star Flight games after all.

I hadn’t realized the Star Flight games were playable again.

In my personal opinion, Star Control II is a superset of everything good about Star Flight, but it would be interesting to revisit them. I was absolutely obsessed with the first one back in '85 or so. Star Flight 2, though, was mediocre in my memory, almost a cash-in on the popularity of the first.

I like Starflight better than SC2. I think it had a better central story/mystery, and the upgradable ship and crew were more interesting to me than the rock/paper/scissors thing SC2 had going on. SC2 was much funnier though, and the aliens were more memorable. Anyone how loves the idea of exploring the universe really should try both, and probably the other (lesser) games in both series.

Will never buy anything from Stardock ever again after that email Brad sent, “This is my company and I’ll fire the lot of you if I want to”.

Thinking about Star Control if it wasn’t an action game – plenty of little spaceship games have been made since star control, and they just aren’t what they once were. So, imagining what the gameplay might end up like instead, while still preserving the huge, bizarre and humorous universe – Mass Effect! With spaceship battles instead of first person ones. The first game was heavily into customizing your ship, as well as gradually winning unlocks and new ships in return for your explorations – no reason this couldn’t morph into each ship in your fleet gaining personality, with serviceable old relics and one of a kind super ships instead of amassing an army of clones.

What about all the publishers/studios who routinely lay off hundreds of staff? :)

I want this as my sig.

-Tom

Play the MegaDrive port of Starflight 1. They added Star Control-like controls, making the moment to moment gameplay much better.

I couldn’t play the PC versions anymore after trying that one.

Yay, called it 6 posts back:) Not surprised that the rights are personally owned, good for him!

I never played them. Once, a pair of years ago or three, I downloaded that one, but I couldn’t get into it, at least without manual. And… it hasn’t aged well, graphics, controls, UI wise,.

Kill the heretic.