Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

I support this. “Planet Bob”
Sounds innocent enough, so it should preferably be a really dangerous planet.

Cool, looking forward to it.

And it’s low gravity. Perfect!

Respectfully disagree - Planet Bob should be full of goats that only yell “Bob!”

PLANET QUATBHUTT

You know, I don’t endorse this or anything, but it occurred to me that if @Brad_Wardell wants to reach Troll Level 9000, he should name systems after posters from the other thread.

You are a bad influence. My mom told me I can’t play with you anymore.

The names are going in as I get them though.

Here’s a video tour of some planets (this is late game when my ship is really fast). You’ll recognize some of them…

New screenshots this week.

The Commander continues to get subtle refinement.

Load up Celery Man please?

I now have even less idea what is happening.

Guapo
Argos
Maximus
Gallador
Vesuvius (for a volcanic planet)

@Brad_Wardell
A couple more suggestions, QT3 flavor:
Facere Foraminibus ~ Latin for “To Make Holes” (in a monitor)
Hoc Est Novus ~ Latin for “That’s Interesting” (e.g. - what’s happening in space___, etc.). Side note: novus is a variant, implying new or fresh.

Written in Applesoft. Hey, you should name a planet after that game.

For those wondering what we’re talking about, the first time I met Brad was when I was writing for CGW or CGM/CGS+, at an E3, and Brad was basically sitting on a stool with a table. That was his booth. ;) And as we talked we realized we were both Apple ][ aficionados and had an admiration for the old Apple game Odyssey. .

I remember spending waaay too many hours on that game. How about “Clardy” for a planet name?

Sangre
Bataille
Cerebros

My suggestions.

The NDA is still in place, right? I dabbled a bit with the beta before the legal situation escalated to what it is today, and have some opinions on the game, but not sure if those can be shared yet. (I got the game for free on account of support being dropped for the failed RTS game Servo, which I was looking forward to seeing released.)

Not to derail this thread, but there’s plenty of public knowledge out there so anyone interested in SO: O can figure out if the Stardock game is worth looking into. They’re using the same former Cracked writer for SC:O as they did for Sorcerer King & Sorcerer King: Rivals, so if you liked/disliked those games, you have a good idea of what to expect for SC:O, I assume.

The same applies to worldbuilding etc.: if you enjoyed what Stardock did with Elemental, GalCiv, etc., you’ll probably like SC:O – if not, then skip it. The artwork for SC:O has also been shared widely, including screenshots, so it’s not difficult to judge whether or not you like that. And for the rest, SC:O seems on par with other Stardock-developed games, including the GalCiv-like ship editor. If you like any of that stuff, you’ll probably like SC:O; if you didn’t, well, I don’t think SC:O will be to your liking, either.

And then there’s the legal issues, with Stardock coming down hard and heavy on P&F, the original creators of Star Control. If you have any feelings regarding that matter, they’ll probably influence your decision to (not) throw money at Stardock. The legal proceedings have convinced some of us, including myself, to no longer buy anything from Stardock.

I’m curious about this, too.

Edit: the bulk of this post intended for @BloodyBattleBrain.

I’ve been following that thread.

And all the images etc in the world are well and good, nothing beats playing the damned thing.

Obvious examples- Battle Brothers, Gladius, Endless Space 2 are all terrible games to watch being played, but are all fun to play. ymmv.

So if the NDA is in place, I’ll wait until people post their opinions.

As for the legal imbroglio, I do believe my stance is basically, if it’s a good game, I’ll buy it.

What’s making me doubt it’s a good game is SD past form (sorry @brad_wardell) because Sorceror King was a great idea, but didn’t quite gel together.

In most Stardock games the combat has been sub par imho, and combat is pretty important to me, especially if you release a fantasy tbs and you’re up against the likes of AoW.

Now ofcourse SCO is a space exploration game, so combat isn’t quite so central, so maybe not such a big deal.

While I can’t speak for SC:O, combat was pretty central to SC2.

OK but my understanding is that it’s a space exploration game at heart, with combat, as opposed to a game like age of wonders?

So, mass effect but a bit more cartoonish?

Combat is a major part of the game. To the point that Stardock’s initial beta focused exclusively on Super Melee. I don’t care for it at all, preferring Starflight instead, where combat seems less central to the overall experience.

Not really. BTW, Starflight was a major influence on Mass Effect. It was also a major influence on Star Control. Stardock’s SC:O is also more than just a “bit” cartoonish – its presentation is, to be brutally honest, rather childish.

OK then is anyone willing to give a one sentence summary?