Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Woot!

Noticed a new patch, today:

Gameplay

• Quasi-Degenerate world toxicity decreased slightly.
  • A couple of the starting planets have more resources.
  • Yttrick Planet is wealthier
  • Actinide planets are richer.
  • Opalescent planet class is richer with better minerals (it’s a pretty rare planet and it’s so pretty).
  • Sapphire planets have more mineral spawn points.
  • Added some new mineral spawn points for craters.
  • Reduced difficulty of Scryve Juggernaut (non-boss) and Xraki boss battles.
  • Your allies recognize the threat better and will share ships with you more cheaply.
  • Lowered damage of planetside Drones
  • Cloud hazards do less damage but have a larger area of effect
  • Boosted AI fleet coordinator
  • Great Void starbase and Drakend starbases now have a fuel module to buy.
  • Star labels of visited systems are greyed out in the sector map list.
  • Tweaked the “visited system” label colors.
  • Slight camera improvement for the lander.
  • Reduced the number of critters and hazards on Organic worlds

Bugs / Perf.

• Fixed crashes reported by users
  • Reduced Memory usage while saving
  • Fix for the Menkmack Ear Schemer not being spawned if you come by this quest from another direction
  • Fixed for low machines crashing on planets with heavy visual effects (e.g. Venus)
  • Improved perf of the end battle on low machines
  • Improved perf for worlds with lots of vegetation.

Drakend have starbases?

Apparently so, lol

I finished the game, and I don’t think I ever ran into one of those. I guess I should fly around some more. I think I’d found 9 or so of the others.

How slightly is slightly?

I’m guessing “will kill your lander crew in 10 seconds instead of 5,” but that’s just a guess, lol

Yeah. They eat landers like popcorn.

For people that have gone pretty far into the game or finished:

Has anyone ever found a module to go into the sensor slot at the front of the ship? I made it to the end without ever finding something that goes there.

I have not made it very far into the game and have some item that increases my view range by 100% Bought it from the spy traders I believe.

• Reduced difficulty of Scryve Juggernaut (non-boss) and Xraki boss battles.

Squid ships made these battles trivial in the first place, though.

Yes, but it’s not really at that.

Yes, that was how I dealt with them. circle around dumping ink to wipe out the shield generators, and then just keep getting it to run through ink to wear it down.

Yes, if you complete some missions for them, they’ll become allies and you can then ask them for ships or pay for them through the recruiting interface.

I also picked up their ink weapon from a crashed ship, which was handy

Hmm, I never understood what the ink did. I just used the space fish on the bosses to take out the force field generators. Then the fish would die to the boss and from that point I would use my main ship (which I used for most every combat of the game) with the super-nuke and phaser point defense. It was quite trivial to kill the bosses that way.

I believe the most confusing thing about this game is that there is no reputation in the game. So the game will throw hordes of ships at you while you are trying to get to a race’s homeworld to make contact with them and maybe ally with them. It took me a while to resolve the Drenkend because I thought I was messing things up by killing so many of their ships. But once you do what you need to get them to stop shooting they just stop with no mention of the men and material you cost them.

I’m not that far yet, but it makes sense. Drenkend are just all clones that are thrown into the meatgrinder, after all.

Not sure if you guys saw this but you might find the Zero Punctuation Review of Star Control: Origins pretty entertaining. :)

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/10/10/star-control-origins/

It’s pretty rare when I don’t find things to laugh at in his reviews, what’s amazing since he hates almost everything he reviews is that he gave this a thumbs up. You can count the number of times he does that per year on one hand.

Slugs and Sinistar. Heh.