Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

It’s everything you imagined it would be. And then some.

Oh, and he also updated the FAQ with the latest developments regarding the DMCA

I … admit I haven’t. Yeah, it sure seems like Brad has found an outlet, lol.

Star Control Origins came in at number 4 of Yahtzee’s best games of 2018.
Not too shabby.

Aw fuck no!

Fingers crossed for SD to prevail.

I guess buying the game now (if possible) you’d risk that P&F end up with the $?

I think this has always been the case, if they were to prevail.

Well, guess it wasn’t the case before they started rattling their sabers (once they smelled money.)

Man, there’s a wildly inaccurate take on how this whole thing went down

Weird that you’re not posting this in the thread dedicated to the legal case where most here disagree with you.

They do not feel like sharing their delusions.

I am leaned back at least 15 degrees from the vertical in my office chair right now, bro; I’m the motherfucking picture of relaxed!

Is this the thread where I can talk about Gameplay and not the lawsuit?

if so… this was in response to a previous comment in that thread in reply to someone’s critical review on Steam…

yeah, it’s very in line with the original SC2, which I think was a slow, methodical plod through a really well written universe.

But like SC2, resource grinding is a pain in the ass in the early game and forces you to spend too much of the early game playing the lander minigame… and if you look at the lander ‘minigame’ in SC2, that was much better. I really don’t need to be jumping over mountains and getting stuck in cracks on the planet…

Also, I don’t LOVE the XO that runs the lander. He’s my least favorite character so far.

I do LOVE the stupid Tywom. Their writing is pretty good and the voice acting is also good. But don’t compare any of these aliens to SC2… Brad wasn’t having that on the official forum. I wasn’t suggesting they were ‘the same’, but the Tywom FEEL like a Spathi-adjacent character.

The familiarity thus far were things like

• Tywom feel like Spathi
  • Mukay feel like a mix of Pkunk and Orz (so far)
  • Drekend seem like the Thraddash (who are being punked by an Umgah like race [which I haven’t met yet] when you meet them)
  • The Arilou are… well, they’re just in the game…
  • Melnorme are present under another name that I don’t recall

They’re all different, but similar enough that that’s how I FEEL. And I feel like that was the point… before things went sour all over.

Oh yeah, note to self: go back and play this again someday, it’s pretty good.

Yeah it’s not bad at all. I think the main criticism I have is that gameplay wise, it hews a little too close to Star Control 2. It’s been ages since I’ve played that game so I didn’t really know that was going to be an issue given that it’s one of my favorite games of all time, but some parts of the game design haven’t necessarily aged well in my opinion.

Usually sequels/remakes/whatever make missteps where they “fix” and “improve” too many things that worked fine, and they often don’t pan out nearly as well as the original. This is the opposite case where I think Stardock could have gone back to spruce things up a bit more. I still had a pretty good time with it from what I played, but I did realize I didn’t like the Star Control gameplay quite as much in 2018 as I did in 1992.

I found myself growing very bored of the tedium of the core loop after a few hours. I suck at the 2D twitch combat, so I tried to let the AI module control it, but it was awful and got me killed constantly. I was either gonna need to grind up enough RU from the shitty planets I could reach before running out of fuel to build a death fleet that would let me get far enough into space to actually advance the plot and unlock more warp points (cuz fuel limits make it basically impossible to sail anywhere interesting early on; the warp stations make getting around easier, but only unlock when you fly to each one and discover it, usually without any guidance or hints). … or learn to get good at the fighting portion.

I opted to quit, instead :(

the way he says ‘space assholes’ here made me chortle loudly

Yeah, the writing (and, honestly, character design) were by far the strongest elements of the game. If I could play it like an adventure game rather than a strategy/action/adventure hybrid, I’d be so much happier, i think. Or if the strategy/action portions were just, you know, good.

That’s the way I feel about SC2 as well. Every time I want to go back into it, I remember what a chore the beginning of the game is. And that if you don’t do the right thing, your allies just die. It’s like the first version of Drox Operative, but not in a great way.

Funnily enough, that’s exactly why I’ve never beaten 2 myself