Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

I have a love/hate relationship with the concept of a timer and real consequences. When pulled off well it’s a wonderful thing, but it is rarely pulled off well. SC2 may really be the only exception, especially given how few games even try that approach. On the other hand, without any real time pressure I often end up doing side quests and screwing around until I’ve burned out on the game and never really finish the main story (I’m looking at you Fallout 4).

you finish that fucking game… you finish it now!

That said, I’m using CheatEngine on SC:O right now to play it more like an adventure game and it’s much nicer.

You can easily use cheats on SC2 to get you through the grind (or at least get enough maneuvering thrusters to make the game playable…) and to the story.

I mean, I’ve seen the end of the game. I just wasn’t the one to do it :)

(AP I leaned back too in probably a similar office chair --also it is better for our backs)

Have you tried Soldak games? They’re the best ones at this.

Fallout 1 was pretty generous about its time limits, IMO. There were only a few, IIRC, and the big one could be delayed for a while depending on your actions. (But one of them was not communicated to the player, so it was possible to end up arriving late to a particular destination, simply to find most everyone there already murdered.)

Holy shit, the Menkmack alone were worth the price of admission…

I’m definitely enjoying this story a lot more. I ended up doing a Cheat Engine on it just to help advance the story as I don’t love the resource grind.

I think you’re confused Adam. The other thread is about the trial stuff. I fell behind in that one and have over 200 663 posts to read in it.

Lol my bad hahaha, sorry

This thread may not be just the perfect home for this news, but I figured folks who read this thread might be interested. Chet over at CRPG Addict has finally reached Star Control 2 in his steady advancement through computer role playing games, here is his first entry:

Holy heck. I’ve can’t believe he’s gotten this far. I think he literally played every RPG ever.

Earth Rising - Part 2: Return of the Lexites for Star Control: Origins released today!

Return of the Lexites presents the player with its most dangerous challenge yet – a post-singularity species whose motives are a mystery.

• Lexites - The Post-Humans who left Earth decades ago are back!
  • New Missions
  • New Ships
  • New Weapons

More info: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/494527

Nice! And just to clarify, it looks like this was included with the original purchase of Earth Rising - no extra DLC to grab.

Just wanted to follow up on my earlier CRPG Addict post of his review of Star Control 2 - he’s completed his playthrough and his scoring, and gives it a 51 overall. Which sounds low but is way on the upper end of his scale, though two points below Starflight games which both received a 53. He marks down Star Control 2 a bit for its cartoony aliens and because he never really got the hang of the combat.

I can see modern gamers beating up the core Space War gameplay, because that stuff is a little unforgiving for a generation of asshats raised on giant glowing quest icons.

But denigrating SC2 for anything beyond that deserves 10 lashes, well laid.

As it should be.

I mean the lander “minigame” is fucking obnoxious at best. (Not that Stardock’s implementation was in any way shape or fun better, more fun, or less obnoxiously in the way of the fun adventure game that StarCon truly is).

IMO the best way to play the game is to cheathack a fuckload of RU into your account right at the start, ignore the lander minigame, and go. If you dislike the Space War stuff (I’ve been pretty shite at it since I was cutting my teeth on StarCon1 on the Genesis as a kid!), go ahead and max out your ship and let the AI take care of business for you on that front, too.

Fifteen lashes, well laid on.

Interesting read. I hadn’t run across these reviews and the “GIMLET” system he uses before. While I’d also have to disagree that the cartoony aliens were a negative, in the context of reviewing SC2 as not simply a game but specifically by a set of RPG criteria his score and comments make sense.

Star Control: Origins v1.4 is out and it improves planet visuals, addresses bug fixes, and increases performance.

More info and changelog: https://www.starcontrol.com/article/495424