Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

You are right. I thought of that after posting but figured I’d get correctly about as fast as I could edit it. They are less importnat than in Morrowwind though as they don’t effect a to hit roll. Instead that is a player skill.

Overall I will be very happy with a Skyrim/FO4 in space. The farther they move towards my own personal timing and pattern recognition the less happy I’ll be. There is a reason I like VATS in FO4!

Regarding exclusivity, Pete Hines said this:

I totally understand if you are unhappy or pissed or whatever. I get it. Those are all real feelings and frustrations. How should you deal with that? I haven’t the foggiest idea. I would never presume to say, ‘Here’s how you can make it better and feel better’.

I don’t know how to allay the fears and concerns of PlayStation 5 fans, other than to say, 'I’m a PlayStation 5 player as well, and I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m going to continue to play on it. But if you want to play Starfield…PC and Xbox. Sorry. All I can really say is, I apologize.

This whole thing is absurd.

That is not a situation where you apologize. Just say, “I understand, but now is a great time to get involved in the Xbox ecosystem!, next question.”

I’d just say, “Now you know how XBox gamers have been feeling. Welcome to the club!”

Exactly. There’s probably a huge overlap between gamers that are complaining about not getting Starfield on PS and gamers that have been bragging about how many exclusives PS has and pissing on the Xbox for lack of games.

He could have also just said “People without Xbox or PC can still play the game, soon XCloud will be available on most devices on the planet”.

Brian, you should totally jump on this and start a podcast/streaming thing devoted solely to space games. You’ll be ahead of the curve.

On another note, all this Morrowind talk has me wanting to re-install.

What a splendid idea! Just splendid!

But those are the same folks that will say MS somehow cheated by just buying the company/exclusive- apparently that’s just not a fair way to do it.

Remember 5 years ago when we thought Microsoft would never have a real games division again???

Man…same.

I have no idea where my Morrowind copy ever went to or I’d try it. I’ve wanted to see how well MOISE is, which is the only Morrowind setup using Wabbajack.

https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/info?machineURL=moise

Only copy I had was on disc. I don’t even have an optical drive anymore. I’m sure it can be purchased pretty cheap at this point. Or hell, it’s on GamePass, but I don’t know how much that restricts the mods – I think quite a bit, if memory serves.

I still have my discs but also own on Steam. My Steam purchase history shows I bought MW in 2012 for $5. I don’t think I’ve ever installed the Steam version, but I’ve always taken comfort knowing it is there.

Uh, what are these things? Is MOISE just UI enhancements or does it help combat and eliminate those annoying flying things? I know there had been a mod to eliminate them.

Someone needs to mod Morrowind to implement good gamepad controls. Actually, that might be a nightmare given Morrowind’s interface. I remember thinking that when I heard about an Xbox version.

Oh yeah, the Xbox version of Morrowind is on game pass. I should try that out just to see how they handled the UI.

I’ve been meaning to take a look at that myself, just curious how it looks. I’m assuming it got a nice resolution bump through BC.

Yep. The Game of the Year edition:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-game-of-the-year-edition-pc/9PP7XSG5LDH1

Mods seem fine:

It’s also on XBox game pass

I had Morrowind on the OG Xbox console, and I thought game pad controls were fine. Eventually I put a mod chip in it, and I could get mods working on it with a little fiddling once I installed the disc to the HD. Good times, but that’s what prevents me from playing using BC on my XSX. Damn, even just the ability to install Better Bodies/Faces and the Cliff Racer mod would go a long way to making it playable. Now that MS owns Bethesda, they should get a team on adding simple mod support to that version.

I’ve been wanting to replay Morrowind as well, especially since I never finished Tribunal and didn’t even get to start Bloodmoon.

Have thought about playing it on Xbox, or at least checking it out, but CLIFFRACERS (I think I played with a mod that got rid of them on PC).

Here’s a Digital Foundry video on it on Xbox: