Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

I’m in. Day one, hook, line and sinker, probably with the biggest and most complete pre-order package.

I love how they describe the aesthetic as NASA-punk. I am fully here for that.

This struck me from the Telegraph interview:

“It’s also a bit more hardcore of a roleplaying game than we’ve done,” Howard said to The Telegraph. “It’s got some really great character systems—choosing your background, things like that. We’re going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be.”

Spacer, Earthborn, Colonist!

Street kid, corpo, nomad!

Rogue, Sorcerer, Warrior … wait, which game again?

I’m planning on specializing as a roguish trader and spice runner with expertise in laser swords, but will probably end up as a sneaky stealth archer.

‘I was like you once … and then I took a laser sword to the knee.’

Oh man. I can’t believe I typed that.

I can’t access the Telegraph article (nor the WaPo), so I’m wondering. Could the backgrounds be careers? If so, check out the Alien TTRPG, they have some cool and atmospheric ones (including the “Roughneck” and “Kid”). Or do they mean backgrounds more in the “Cyberpunk 2077” sense?

On one hand you can do really rich stuff in backgrounds but on the other if they’re any good why aren’t they in the game?

Backgrounds are great and all, but if they don’t really change much in the gameworld, they rapidly become window-dressing. And making them significant and still balanced in some way is hard.

https://archive.is/n34ZF

https://archive.is/5m7EC

I’m all over this, and will do my best to put it out of my mind until a release is imminent. Back to the yawning chasm of Backloggia.

Thanks for the links!

That’s a great site for that. I mean I sub to WaPo but it is a bit enraging that most content creators want you to sub for a single article at times. I think both of those allow a few free either per month or at least prior to pushing you to sub, but still.

I know we have some content creators here and I don’t want to infer they shouldn’t get paid. Archive sites exist and have always been a means of getting around things, business models be damned.

I am incredibly excited for this game.

Them calling it a “Han Solo simulator” really works for me. It’s like they “get” me.

I see groundwork for the inevitable backlash is being laid!

(Sorry)

Still don’t know jackshit about this game so…Skyrim in space?

That is literally what Todd Howard says. Except with a new engine and supposedly deeper RPG mechanics.

And considering how many copies of Skyrim they’ve sold, is that a bad thing?

Skyrim is TEN YEARS old, and people are still playing it. It’s a pretty great game.

I will absolutely buy Skyrim in Space on day 1.