Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

You’re probably right. And they’ll still probably win me over. But that’s my plan A.

No more? Ut’s not like Firefly like games are a dime a dozen. The Outer Worlds has some of the vibe, but only at the most surface level.

My plan is to follow this:

Not sure if it is any good but it ticks the boxes: easy, amazing graphics, for 2021 so not out of date.

There’s something magical about Morrowind that just wasn’t in the subsequent ES titles. Just watching the beginning of the game makes me want to play it again even though nothing of note really happens there.

An air of mystery pervades the entire thing, from the ancient and alien looking architecture (which looks real and lived-in) to the strange races and flora and fauna. And that music is perfection. As much as I’d love a remake in a modern engine, I don’t think it will be the same.

Also, they should have kept those male Dark Elf voices in the other games!

Just received an email from Bethesda with a few short look videos at planet and location designs for the game, figured I’d share them here in case anyone wanted to take a look:

Sounds like the three quest hubs of the game. Also the recreational drug which will be addictive and have negative effects but also generates raiders or mutants, I mean people who act crazy or have physically changed under the drug and are now quest kill goals. :)

They’re not… dripping with imagination. It’s no Sunless Skies.

Humans build cities in certain ways. Look around the globe for example. If there were alien civilizations you’d have a point but human cities have a certain template.

Why should they be? It’s Bethesda! Skyrim wasn’t the raging success it was because the scenery and landscape was dripping with imagination. It was a comfortable, recognizable, fantastical world. And from what I see they take the exact same approach with Starfield. Which is a plus for me.

Skyrim absolutely was successful (partly) because the scenery and landscape were beautiful and evocative. They weren’t as outlandish as Morrowind or stylized as, I don’t know, The Long Dark maybe, but they had and still have a strong sense of place beyond “generic fantasy”.

It’s too early to pass judgment based on a bit of pre-production key art, but I hope Starfield will have a visual design as strong as Skyrim.

I hope Starfield is visually stunning! ;)

Based on those Art Concept videos I think Bethesda will have some strong completion from:

Mass Effect 5
The Outer Worlds 7
SARS-COV-4

2029 is shaping up to be one heck of a year.

I think I made my point a bit better than Visually Stunning!!!, but if I wasn’t clear, I mean that Skyrim’s world is understated compared to a lot games, but it’s still the opposite of a generic “visually stunning, 9/10 graphics”. Just looking at screens from skyrim can make me feel the cold.

I don’t know why anyone would think comfortable and recognizable is a plus, but that doesn’t mean a game needs to have weirdness as a goal.

I’m one of the few here who kind of hate on MW almost precisely due to the art design of the world. I might give it another shot with some mods though. But I have such a backlog I doubt I’ll ever get to it.

I wasn’t mocking your post at all, and if it came across like that I sincerely apologize.

I did think about visual stunning just because I read about graphics. It was just intended as a joke.

Ah, it’s all good.

Anyways, Starfield. Can’t wait til we get some early gameplay videos and people start asking what the performance will be like on their PS8.

But where are the links to purchase limited edition ships 14 months before the supposed release date?
I think Bethesda is doing it wrong.

New video, a little new information about the Settled Systems:

I really don’t understand why there aren’t even more sci-fi RPGs. With space being infinite, there is also an infinite money grab for DLCs out there just waiting. None of this, “here’s the map for Tamriel but we’re going to … um … have an island pop up.”