Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 2023...?

You learn to roll with it - seriously you don’t lose anything you don’t need at the reset, because you keep the most valuable thing: knowledge. I won’t belabor the point because we have a whole thread about it, but Outer Wilds is seriously one of my favorite games of all time. Possibly my very favorite.

Damn, I got Outer Wilds & Worlds mixed up again!

Wilds is the timeloop one & Worlds is Fallout in Space, right?

Correct.

Yeah, Outer Worlds is the forgettable “Fallout in space” that should serve as a cautionary tale for Starfield.

Outer Wilds is one of the best games ever made.

I threw Worlds in today because I wanted a break from Skyrim and i haven’t done the DLCs yet. I guess I wasn’t in the right mood because I bounced right off. The humor was falling flat and the looting is just inconsequential, I’ve come to realize.

This was my exact experience with OW trying to play it again late last year.

I used to do the Kajit run in 12 parsecs until I took a laser blast to the knee.

IMO memes, often driven by jank, got Skyrim it’s initial appeal and mods have kept it chugging.

Remember, Fallout 3 is “Oblivion with guns.”

But I have a hard time imagining “Skyrim in Space” unless it’s similar to The Outer Worlds…which I suppose is “Oblivion with guns in space” only with much less time / budget and mostly small segmented maps.

Starfield would be better if it was actually Outer Wilds but an RPG. A seamless single galaxy with multiple large planet bodies to explore with quests and stuff. (no time loop obviously)

Starfield is totally gonna be Outer Worlds with much larger budget and more serious style and artstyle.

Starfield also presents to me doubts in how actually is going to be played. Well, I can imagine well enough the game on land, it will be similar to their previous games, but like… are we going to have a spaceship with freedom to go wherever? Are we going to have space combat too? Is there going to be space trading? Can we land in a planet wherever we want or will it transition with a landing screen?

I am interested to see if Bethesda can present a main plot that is not AI based ala Fallout 3 and 4. I will be sad, but not surprised, when the main antagonistic turns out to be a computer.

Space Elevators! - the spaceship is a basically a loading screen between planets?

Of all the things they haven’t told us, how the spaceship works is probably the biggest one. The teaser implies you fly the ship yourself, but the budget friendly conservative choice would be to make the ship a fast travel hub where you select destinations from a menu.

I think that’s a little unfair. Everyone was playing it then, which inevitably lead to memes and common refrains from the throng of us that were playing and enjoying it. Skyrim’s initial appeal was all on it’s own presentation. It was and still is a beautiful open world RPG, like the icing on the cake after Morrowind and Oblivion. The first time I descended into a dungeon with fog and lighting effects I remember getting a shiver of excitement that lasted until I finished the game. The memes came just a bit later, but I’ve never met anyone who said, “I played Skyrim to see what all the hoopla was about taking an arrow to the knee.”

To me the mark of a good release is when you hear people taking personal time off just to play it. Like whole vacations just to immerse themselves into a game. That isn’t just restricted to RPGs but for sure I remember a TON of Skyrim days off being taken where I work.

I had a fairly smooth experience with Skyrim, so beyond ‘an arrow to the knee!’ AI repeating lines, I also don’t agree with that theory that memes helped Skyrim. I remember EVERYONE playing Skyrim when it got out, that popularity created the memes, not the other way around.

I guess to what @Calelari is saying, the memes didn’t HURT it’s appeal, but I don’t think that’s what drove the appeal at all. Within a week of release I remember reading, “GOTY,” from people posting about it.

I’m more thinking the memes getting the game noticed outside the usual Elder Scrolls following.

But mostly I wanted to do a Skyrim meme, but in space.

And each of those games (mostly) had its own thing going for it. So that if “Skyrim in Space” is just that (or close to it), there will still be a place for it today because it’s NOT Elden Ring.

I play the Souls games to get that particular brand of gameplay/storytelling. It doesn’t take away my appreciation for Bethesda’s type of games (warts and all).

And I agree with @Gordon_Cameron:

“The idea that RPGs have improved by leaps and bounds since Skyrim is news to me.”

I mean, I don’t recall Cyperpunk 2077 being praised as groundbreaking as far as gameplay is concerned.

Are you talking about the inventory system? Maybe I’ve just gotten used to it over the the years but I have zero issues with it. I can bring up a piece of gear, see how it looks, see how it compares to what I’ve currently got going on. No fuss, no muss.

I suppose a ‘mark as junk’ option would be nice, but whatever.

I think maybe it’s about not having any unique or worthwhile LOOT.

Which I don’t disagree with. That is one thing Bethesda could improve. You get to the end of a long dungeon only to find 25 gold coins, a health potion, and some shitty sword. There was hardly ever a point where I got excited finding a new weapon or armor piece in Skyrim.